on 4 December 2013
Its worst feature is its stupid name!
Straight out of the box it is average but once customised (click "more" and "settings") it is excellent. It has a nice simple look. Adverts can be turned off / font changed / country changed (this can be useful)/ language changed / and very key - privacy settings adjusted so your every moved is not being logged on Google's servers.
I like to turn off adverts so unlikeGoogle and others it does not fill up the page with "sponsored" results that are hard to segregate from proper answers.
Putting a simple "!gi" in front of the search term lets it search google images. Other similar short cuts are available for lots of web sites.
For general searches works perfectly. Well recommended. Only if you have particularly technical searches might I feel a need to go to Google or Bing.
on 1 April 2014
Excellent quick and straightforward. Far better than others I have tried.Would recommend it to anyone who dislikes their default browser on Kindle.
on 19 October 2013
I have bee using DuckDuckGo, abine, Don'tTrackMe and other privacy software on my Linux boxes for some months. It blocks all those unwanted prying eyes, gets rid of flash cookies and so on. I installed the Firefox browser on my Kindle Fire HD, Amazon don't want you to and don't make it easy, but it's possible and then I added DuckDuckGo and made it my default search engine and I like it, it gives me privacy I would not have with the one's provided by Amazon on my Kindle Fire HD and functions just as well.
on 30 December 2012
Whilst not a 'Google' it nevertheless performed well and never failed to provide the required result. A touch slow but within acceptable time.
on 26 October 2015
Got this app on kindle and phone, didn't work on either. Uninstalled it and reinstalled a couple of times still didn't work, so not much use.
on 3 February 2015
I have this app on my mobile & it works flawlessly, this kindle version is sluggish & slow.
Yet another poor kindle app.
on 9 September 2015
I have this browser else where and it works well and I use it regulary.
It just doesn't work on my kindle fire. Wish it did.
on 12 February 2015
It's new, has some good and some not so good features. I like the way you can choose your "stories", so just get the news that interests you. It has the facility to save searches (similar to bookmarks), but not to the extent that tapping on the saved item will take you directly to your subject as previously viewed.
I'll give it time to see how it develops, but it isn't going to be a replacement for Silk.
on 10 August 2013
I have been using DuckDuckGo for the last 18months and I am very impressed with it as an everyday alternative to Google. Using !g before your search term will direct you straight towards encrypted Google if the results aren't quite as desired. This is my only quibble with the search engine, but only small.
on 14 December 2014
Perfect! Forget about "Big Brother Google" watching you all the time. Highly customizable and with its own search engine not based on Google's algorithm, which sometimes give even better results. It is a must if you value privacy combined with excellent. search results.