Using screenshots, step-by-step instructions, and plain English explanations, "Dropbox In 30 Minutes" will cut through the confusion. In just a half-hour, you'll understand how Dropbox works. You'll know how to leverage the Dropbox desktop software and mobile application to perform the following types of tasks:
* INSTANT BACKUP - Files are automatically synchronized with your master account in the background, and changes are carried over to all of your computers that are logged into Dropbox. Even if your computer is damaged or lost, you'll still be able to access copies of the most recently synchronized files.
* ONLINE COLLABORATION - Securely share a folder full of documents with coworkers scattered across the country or across the globe.
* PHOTO SYNCING - Sync the photos on an iPhone or Android phone to your PC/Mac without cables, using Dropbox's Camera Upload features!
This unofficial mini-manual (the first of the In 30 Minutes™ guides) includes sections on installing Dropbox on your computer and mobile devices, how to automatically transfer photos from your phone to your PC, and how to manage collaboration using Dropbox links and shared folders. "Dropbox In 30 Minutes" also includes "Dropbox: The Rogue FAQ," which answers hard questions about security, sharing, and other topics.
The contents are listed below.
Chapter 1: In The Beginning — Installing Dropbox
* Dropbox technical requirements
* Installing Dropbox on a PC or Mac
* The Dropbox website
Chapter 2: Getting Down To Business — Files And Folders
* How it works
* Saving your first file
* Transferring an existing file to Dropbox
* Working with folders/groups of files on PCs, Macs, and the Dropbox website
* Opening a file or folder from a second computer
Chapter 3: Going Mobile — Dropbox On Smartphones And Tablets
* What the icons mean
* Downloading files
* Previewing and sharing files
* Uploading files
* How to automatically sync photos from a mobile phone to your Dropbox account
Chapter 4: Dropbox Linking And Sharing
* Limited sharing via links
* Sharing Dropbox content from a mobile device
* How to kill old links
* Collaboration with shared folders
* Managing shared storage space
* How to unshare or leave shared folders
Chapter 5: Dropbox — The Rogue FAQ
* How can I get free space?
* How secure is Dropbox?
* What happens when I quit Dropbox from the System Tray (Windows) or Menu Bar (Mac)?
* How do I delete Dropbox?
* Help! I accidentally deleted an important file!
* What does Dropbox's Packrat feature do?
* Dropbox seems to be taking a long time to sync. What gives?
* I see a folder called “Public” in my Dropbox account. What’s that about?
* What happens when the same file is opened simultaneously on more than one computer?
* Are the paid Dropbox accounts worth it?
* Why would I want to link my Facebook account to Dropbox?
* What are third-party apps, and how do they relate to Dropbox?
Helpful videos and other information can be found on the companion website to "Dropbox In 30 Minutes", available at dropboxin30minutes.com .
About the Author
Keep up with my activities by following my @ilamont Twitter account.