Customer Discussions > Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360) forum

Driving ... A Letdown ????

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Apr 2008 01:01:56 BDT
M. ODonnell says:
Alright Chaps .

Felt i had to post this up and see what everyone else thinks .

I can totally understand what Rockstar have tried to do with the driving . Tried to go all real (and they have done a fine job too) but it doesn't work in GTA . What is the deal with the breaking ??
Anyone else have the same view/opinion ?? My friend (who bought the PS3 version) said the exact same .

I am not slagging the game in any way because it is a masterpiece but i feel this is what lets it down .

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2008 09:53:09 BDT
D. Buxton says:
I know what you mean, its gonna take me a while to get used to this new driving business. I either turn corners slowly or crash into a wall!! Not ideal when you have the police hot on your tail when you are desperatly trying to get out of the red circle!! I am sure it will become easier the more I play :) on the plus side what a great game!!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2008 10:30:41 BDT
M. ODonnell says:
Totally agree with you on that . Yeah , looks like i will just need to play it even more (which IS NOT a bad thing) !!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2008 11:32:56 BDT
There is a couple things about the great GTA IV I am a little disspointed with but not the driving, you soon get used to it and I now find my self power sliding round round corners like the ghost of Steve McQueen

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2008 12:04:39 BDT
D. Parsons says:
The driving is weird. In the early missions the the taxi you drive in is hopeless. It does not seem to have any brakes. Also if you use the handbrake it seems to make the car have some sort of a fit. I guess it is realistic to a degree, I mean if you drove round in your Ford Focus at full throttle you would surely smash it into a wall at some stage.. Even if you get your hands on a Turismo which is loosley modelled on a Ferrari 360 and 430, it doesnt handle very well (not as a car like this should) although the brakes are a bit better. Its not a critisicism, I think the game is stunning - mindblowing in fact!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2008 16:36:33 BDT
yes it's a good point but if it was all the same as san andras, vice city don't you fill you would be even more disappointed that things had not moved forward so we have to learn to drive like a normal person in the game not just rush a about like some 15 year old in somebody else's car on a council estate on a Friday nite don't get me wrong i am not having a pop at any one i just think it's one of the things that has not changed form gta 3 up to gta san andras

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2008 02:17:59 BDT
S. Elsden says:
I was stunned at the driving too. I was getting majorly pi$$3d off with it at one point. But after about an hour I was able to take corners pretty nicely, it may be a really really really small flaw in the game, but it beats and other GTAs at driving.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2008 10:26:48 BDT
redperil68 says:
Well I have to say that there has been loads of moaning about this and that with the driving but it is set in the USA.

Most road (especially US) cars have very very spongy suspension and no brakes and understeer like crazy. In that respect the game is spot on. Try drving at 100 mph in a city with a normal car and try to brake, you will not stop in 40 feet like some driving games would have you believe. Also a front wheel car steers and accelerates using the same wheels. To correct understeer SLIGHTLY lift the throttle until you see the exit of the corner then floor it. You cannot have full throttle and full steering as the car will just plough.

Also try turning your steering wheel whilst pulling the handbrake. What you will do is a handbrake turn as the rear brake will lock the rear axle. Again Rockstar have been spot on.

Virtually every post pre release was hoping for realism so Rockstar gave them realism and it turns out they did not want that at all.

Using the Bonnet cam really helps - especially for this PC racing sim fan!! Honestly try GP Legends and you will not have any trouble with this.

Enjoy people - I still remember playing pong on my Binatone in 1978 so beleive me when I say that things are great these days and this is the best game ever... and I didn't like GTA that much before this.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2008 11:07:40 BDT
J. Cooper says:
I too remember Pong..sharp MZ80k...bbc micro...

Totally right about the handling, I drove a caprice back in 98 in NYstate...like driving a matress but with less handling...

Try the incar view when driving at speed, treate it more like a driving sim than wacky races, ....
Oh and try an Inferno in game...driving at speed is difficult but infinitely rewarding, right up until the point you fly through the windscreen....

Thankyou Rockstar..this game=EPIC WIN

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2008 21:24:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 May 2008 21:25:10 BDT
J. McAlister says:
Personally i think the driving is great. The more realistic physics and handling of cars make chases a more difficult challenge, which i enjoy. Some people hate the new challenge and would rather go back to the easier unrealistic driving of former GTA's. Big thanks to Rockstar for making GTA IV more challenging than before!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jun 2008 14:24:00 BDT
FoxInLondon says:
I like the driving. It felt a bit stubborn and irritating at first, but once I stepped my game up a bit and got a feel for it I can drive at least as well in this GTA as I could in the others. I think overall it's an improvement.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jun 2008 04:43:13 BDT
Fenix Rising says:
No problem with the driving...at all. Wish people would stop whinging about this. For starters theres sports cars all over the place to steal that handle very well. I have not lost race yet...in fact its all too easy.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2008 12:58:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jul 2008 12:59:48 BDT
Personally I prefer the driving, It is hard to get used to at first but once you get the hang of it you can have so much fun slipping and sliding round corners. I also love the way the helicopters work and the boats too.
And I love the damage system on cars it is so relaistic and fun to use!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2008 21:48:51 BDT
cajguy says:
i think the drivings really good once you get use to it.

Posted on 21 Mar 2009 01:57:17 GMT
DonkeyDong says:
I find the turning circle is entirely inadequate for most vehicles in this game. In the small hatchback car I drive in reality it's nowhere near as bad, and also my breaks work much better than they appear to in the game. There's nothing "realistic" about the handling in this game, it's just a poorly implemented. While in previous iterations it was also unrealistic, at least it was fun! The only thing I'd change in the GTA:SA handling/physics model is give the cars more god damned weight, it's like they're made of styrofoam or something.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  30 Apr 2008
Latest post:  21 Mar 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360)
Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360) by Rockstar (Xbox 360)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (298)