STOP PRESS - I used this on a skiing holiday and the quality has to be seen to be believed. I not only gave great videos but going from bright light to shade it changed very quickly when going in and out of tress. What really amazed me is that sometimes I was shooting into the sun and everything was clear - the sun was a glaring yellow on the video and I have no idea how the camera managed to cope but it did. I took spare batteries as the cold affected them, as expected so took one in the camera and two spares.
A few comments -
1. The Drift HD should not be confused with older models still being sold
2. The drift HD should not be confused with the 720 model
3. See Driftinnovation web site for videos of the device in use and videos of how to use the setup (albeit for a different device but it was the same as near as makes no odds.
4. This newer model has a single set of buttons making it shorter than previous ones.
5. Now comes with a replaceable (not supplied) lens cover so if scratched it can easily be replaced albeit at a cost.
6. Many reports on lack of fitting with which I do not agree
Curved attachment (for fitting to the curved part of, for example, a helmet
Fitting for ski goggles. I have tried this and it seems OK but not used bumping up and down to see hpw well it holds.
Wrist band for remote
7. Battery - the one supplied lasts about 1hr 45 minutes at room temperature with the screen switched off (I have set mine to switch off after 3 seconds - not the camera, just the screen. The video carries on.
8. After about 37 mins on 1080p, the file size reaches maximum 4GB for FAT. The camera automatically starts a new file. I haven't checked how much is lost but I suspect this won;t matter much as most people will not video for a full 37 minutes in one go.
9. There are probaly loads of reviews about but what I was amazed at was the quality - OK I was in 1080p but it was good.
10. Due to wide angle, a fish eye effect was noticed but I'd prefer this to a narrow vision.
11. I have no idea if this is true but it seemed to focus very closely - I was testing it looking at a book less that 12 inches away.
12. As reviews have stated, the lens can swivel, so when mounted, just rotate the lens to get a vertical view.
13. What was not stated anywhere that I have seem, is that the method of attaching allows the camera to be screwed up and then the mounting has some click positions. This allows for up/down pointing in addition to the getting it vertical of the lens swivel.
14. I have read that the settings were difficult. To me, having used a normal digital camera, they were VERY simple. I almost didn't need the online video tutorial ( no detailed manual supplied) but I went through settings step by step to get used to it. I can only think that some reviews were on a completely different model and got posted in the wrong place.
15. Playback on the small screen is OK - not really watchable but a good visual check - I'd highly recommend anyone getting a head cam to have a screen for playback (you use the screen on your camera an phone don't you to check the picture/video is OK?)
16. I have seen a 'kit' on Amazon for two additional batteries and a charger - I will be buying one of these 'kits' and will report when I've tested it in a couple of months.
17. Drift stated (on the phone) that there is no internal battery that holds the settings such as time/date and said you need to change batteries within about 6 seconds to avoid losing these. It is very easy to change. If you have the charged one in your hand, less than 5 seconds would be able in my opinion.
18. One thing that was not supplied with mine was any sort of case/cover. A simple cloth bag would have been good but I will probably use a sunglasses soft bag fr mine, when not in use.
19. Charges via USB from computer. Can also be charged from a car charger or mains charger. I have car and mains adapters already that have a USB socket in so I just switch cables.
20. Last but not least - best to go to driftinnovation site and look at the videos and tutorials and the manual can be viewed.