Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 April 2013
Highly recommended, even for the most jaded reader.

Dreamquake will stay with me forever in the same way that the strongest dreams do. The mixture of teenage girls, golems, maps, islands and dreams is really something. And I was blown away by the totally unanticipated and completely beautiful plot development.

Do you ever dream about a place almost like where you live, where the routes are like thoughts, like synapses? Then you will like Dreamquake, where the place is a fantasy New Zealand, a few shades away from the real one, and a couple of decades back.

I have read this twice - and will read it again. Definately one of the best books I have ever read.
on 3 July 2013
Book 2 of the Dreamhunter series, and we see Laura exploring a nightmare she has given the audience to experience. Set again in a kind of South Island of New Zealand, Dreamquake follows the raison d'aitre of the Place, and the denouement which is a circular argument - it was neither scientific nor poetic in explanation. Therefore, the reason for the Place felt hollow and forced. But that is not the whole reason to tell a story. So I checked if I was emotionally satisfied after reading the story. I was left with a feeling for the intelligence of the author and the poetry of some of her language, but not too impressed with the story-telling.
on 18 December 2014
Thou ghettos not an entirely satisfying sequel, nevertheless very enjoyable all the same