Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£18.99+ £1.26 shipping

on 30 June 2010
I first heard this album back in the 70s when my uncle played it. I loved it straight away and couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy. I have long waited for this album to come out on cd and I have to say I was not disappointed. Every track is a hit and NOT re-recorded. The two brothers have made one hell of an album. After this album, Ansell later became a regular keyboard player for the famous Roots Radics Band who were the backing band for major reggae artists in the 70s and 80s and they also produced their own albums. A lot of their music had inspired Scientist and King Tubby to mix them into dub music.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 February 2016
Double Barrel and Monkey Spanner are the best known and most commercial tracks on this album and nearly 50 years on, they're still fresh and vibrant. I had Ansell and Collins on vinyl in the early 70s; loved their reggae sound then and it's still great now.

This album was pulled together to cash in on their singles success but it's still a classic and a truly representative selection of their sound. If you listen to it now, it's easy to see how Two Tone evolved. They were very different duo in the early 70s; glam rock or early heavy metal was the favoured sound and reggae was, for most UK listeners, a niche market.

These guys make great music. Brilliant album, some sweet vocals, belting Hammond and I love the bonus of mp3 download with the CD. Win, win!
on 9 April 2011
I have this on a vinyl album still but decided to get the cd to play in the car.
Contrary to popular beleif Dave is NOT Ansels brother,he is in fact Dave Barker,hes the toaster,Ansel plays the keyboard.

The title track is still a great reggae song and has certainly lasted the test of time,but after 40 years I still dont know what he shouts at the start.Although Dave Barker is a good singer I am not convinced that he is the singer on tracks 5 and 8.

I dont think there is a single duff or filler track on this cd....OK it only lasts for 33 mins,but I prefer it that way my self.

If I had to highlight a couple of tracks,track 9 "impossible mission" and track 11" count the days" are my desert island disks.The whole album reminds me of early Lee Perry/Upsetter productions from the early 70's when reggae was king.

For me the period of 67/68 will always be the cream of Jamaican music,the rock steady era.........but then, early 70's stuff like this comes a close second,Thanks Trojan for all the re-issues!!
on 28 October 2012
This was the first album I ever bought and it cost me 10/6d.... that is ten shillings and six pence... in todays money 52 and 1/2 pence.
That was brand new, I played it on my mono record player every day about 100 times a day and drove my family crazy, when I found it on Amazon available on download I could not believe it. I have burned it to CD and now play it in stereo in my car.
It is still totally mind blowing. Dave and Ansel Colins produced a timeless masterpiece. It was brilliant then and it is still brilliant today. I would recommend this very highly to every one no matter what your preference in music.
Have a listen, it is worth it.
on 28 November 2010
I had never heard this album until purchasing this cd, but was very aware that it is considered a very important album in the history of reggae music.

I personally have always preferred 'Monkey Spanner' to 'Double Barrel', but hearing the tracks newly remastered to the highest standard makes this an interesting and enjoyable listen.

It's a bit of an oddball collection in some ways, in that it feels like a selection of songs with a few instrumentals thrown in.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed it.
on 23 February 2014
Reggae at its best of the early 70's. Glad to own the album on its own and not on a compilation. Not having Dave And Ansel Collins on a Reggae Complication, I only have their number one Double Barrel on a Super Summer 70's Album with various artists.
on 25 June 2011
Never thought I would be able to get hold of this album again. Just as brilliant as I rememberd it when listening to it years ago . Bought a copy for a friend too.
on 19 November 2011
It two words.... buy it. So why well it's a gem from the Trojan vaults. Trojan have been a bit cheeky really by re-releasing the album in it's original form, 12-13 tracks, means they get the money without re editing it by adding more tracks but that said for what I paid it's a classic.
on 19 March 2014
Real Five Star ..Superb....Dave And Ansell collins at there Very best...I Cant Recomend it Enough ..It is So Addictive ..Music I Though had gone forever ..From Double Barrel Through to Two Four One ...12 Amazing tracks .....I Real Piece of Reggae Gold ...
on 27 July 2010
Decades ago I travelled from Brighton to a wonderful East End dancing venue which specialised in what was then called "Reggae". (Does it still exist?) It took several visits to get the hang of the surprisingly complicated rythems. For example track 9:
4 RAPID BEATs - PAUSE- 8 RAPID BEATS - PAUSE - ETC
Forty years on I'm desperately trying to get my now-more-reluctant body to recapture this dance sequence. Those into more-flowing present-day body-popping dancing should have a go at this more forceful aggressive style.
Altogether this disc is a wonderful way of experiencing Dance HEAVEN! Please, BBC can you organise a Strictly Come Reggae competition using this disc for the music?