on 21 November 2012
I was recommended Scullcap and Valerian tablets by a vet nurse friend, as my crossbreed dog was terrified of fireworks and was getting worse every year.

I had tried almost everything else over the years, loud music, playing fireworks sounds and a plug in, but nothing seemed to work, and to see the trembling and the terror in his eyes every year was heartbreaking.

So I thought why not, and armed myself with Scullcap and Valerian tablets, there was no fighting him to take them as they must taste nice to him and he just ate them from my hand. I followed the instructions and started them about 2 weeks before firework night, what a difference, for the first time in six years I had a calm relaxed dog, he actually slept through the worst of it and didn't bat an eyelid, a much happier boy, though it didn't leave him drowsy or lethargic just very relaxed, I will certainly be using them again and would recommend them for anyone who has a frightened dog.Dorwest Herbs Scullcap and Valerian Tablets for Dogs and Cats 100 Tablets
And the price is excellent.
on 4 December 2010
This product worked very well on 2 of my dogs and helped to calm them down when fireworks were landing in our garden or noisy in the sky, however, the other one did not settle as much. This was not down to the product as some dogs need to take it for a good 4 days regularly for it to have a better effect. Would definitely buy this again but order early October. Also a lot cheaper than buying from vets.
on 2 July 2012
We were recommended these by our vet, as we have a 4 year old Beagle who has fits. So, they arrived on the Friday, and we gave them to our 4yr old, but, we also decided to give them to our 9 mth old Beagle puppy, as after reading all the info on them, decided they may help him when we're travelling. They obviously didn't work straight away, as with any "medication" takes a while to get into the system, but by the following Saturday, when we took a trip out, our puppy settled an awful lot quicker, hardly drooled (he was like a leaking tap before), didn't wrench (we've had to change their bedding when he's vomited all over), so, as far as he's concerned they're really working, unfortunately, we won't know if they've help our 4yr old until he has another fit, but finger's crossed. You give one "tablet" per 5 kg, so, 4 year old has 3 per day, 2 with his "breakfast", and 1 with his "dinner", the puppy has 1 per meal. They have a coating on them, so they look like small yellow smarties, and probably because beagles can pretty much eat anything, we haven't had any issues with them not eating them, but they're small enough to sandwich between 2 treats, if required!
on 18 October 2011
Gave the dog the required amount as soon as this arrived, and it worked for her. Our dog is scared of fireworks, and had been scared witless by a gypsy style pony and trap shooting past her, when the girl on it shouted out, "that dog is scared" the toerags then turned round and went by again, we could barely get her out for walks past the front gate, but this has helped settle her down, and she is getting her confidence back, we used this along side other products.

Lets just hope it works as well to keep her calm for the fireworks. Would recommend, as this worked for her. Will use it alongside other non medicated things. Would rather keep them as a last resort.

I have edited this, as we have used this a few times. My sister in law is a groomer, and she "does" my dog, we usually give her these before she goes, as she is not keen on being washed (but loves being dried!) Anyway recently I forget and the dog jumped out of the bath in a panic, I had to calm her down, before my sis in law could carry on. But generally after having these she is a lot more settled, still jittery, but much much calmer.
How many and how much time prior to the event depends on what the event is and how calm I need her to be.
But for us, these are a success, and cheaper than at the vets.
on 26 August 2012
I saw a link on a forum page and we were desperate so I bought a tub...Dorwest Herbs Scullcap and Valerian Tablets for Dogs and Cats 100 Tablets

Everything else has failed to calm my Jack Russell dog in the car, even short trips were hell as he barked and barked cried and was unwell, so much we had stopped taking him out (he is 11 years old). I weighed the dog and gave him 1/2 the recommended dose, it appeared to work a little better than the pheromones sprays (which did just about nothing for him or the driver!) so it was un-tested really.

OK panic time next week he was booked on a 5 hour ferry trip to Europe with us for the 1st time ever, then we were planning on a road trip in a new camper van around France with a dog that can't go to the end of the street in the car!(2 week holiday in hell was on my mind)

e loading him in the vehicle and after some initial settling down and a few woofs he was fine, so fine he has now travelled 1500+ miles in a moving vehicle, the kids think he is now a fantastic beach dog even at 11 years old! He isn't stoned just calm and playful with his squeaky toys in the vehicle.

If you have a dog that a total pain to have in the car and you have stopped taking them out as its hell on wheels, please try these pills as its totally changed my dog and enabled him to have fun with us rather than sit in the house alone... just the rattle of the pills draws his attention and grabbing the cars keys he knows he is in for a good day out with us all.
on 13 June 2014
I can't remember how many years I have been using Valerian and Scullcap tablets. One of my golden retrievers was 'rescued' in the month of November so I would imagine she had been in the kennels over the firework season, she was an absolute wreck when fireworks and thunder occurred, we would make a 'safe' place for her to hide but would start to dig at anything in the house or our touring caravan. After many years of the vet's prescription drugs which 'tranquilised' her and left her dopey for hours, I came upon these from Dorwest Herbs.
I have given her these tablets for weeks without any ill effects and no 'groggy doggy'. After putting 9-12 of these tablets in her dinner, she would hear the fireworks or thunder and look up as much to say, ok I heard it, so what.... and carry on with what she was doing, instead of hiding and start digging wherever she was. The tablets did not upset her stomach, nor did it stop her playing with our other golden retriever. The fireworks are like 'mortars' so I now buy these for our remaining dog, now I put 4 or 5 in her breakfast and the same in her afternoon dinner, especially when thunderstorms are forecast.
on 8 January 2013
Give these to my dog who is quite anxious about things like cars, planes and sudden noises they really calm him down. Worth their weight in gold.
on 26 September 2013
I have used these tablets to help my elderly Dalmatian who has dementia. They do calm him especially at night due to separation and anxiety
We have Shetland Sheepdogs and our youngest one, (he’s almost 15 months old) is extremely nervous and his problem is he’s so curious of everything he sees. But if it’s something that moves, (like when it’s windy) or if it’s something he’s never seen before, (like a parked car or motorbike that’s in a different place to what it usually is or something he’s never seen before), then he jumps a mile.

So his breeder recommended these as they are a well-known and trusted brand.

It’s a licensed herbal medicine for the symptomatic relief of anxiety nervousness, excitability, travel sickness, and as an adjunct in the treatment of epilepsy in cats and dogs.

The Scullcap and valerian tablets don’t cause drowsiness, sedate or impair normal behaviour or performance. This we already know as our youngest dog has been taking these now since September 2015 and he’s not had any kind of side effects.

Our youngest has slowly improved and they are helping him to become more confident outside the house which a really great. :-)

When it came to Bonfire Night we’d thought we’d have problems with him but the fireworks to our surprise never bothered him. :-)

Now the tablets come in an airtight and are in a plastic bottle, which is a little difficult to open, (which is good as they are child proof).

The tablets themselves are sugar coated, you can feed them directly to your pet or add them to their daily food, (if your dog is like mine he’ll eat the food and leave the tablet). So we find it easier to give him directly in the mouth.

They are safe for both long and short term use. You can be give from 8 weeks old but are not recommended for pregnant or lactating females.

Our first bottle was for 100 tablets to see if they’d be any good and now we’ve got a 200 bottle from Amazon as the tablets have really worked for our youngster and we’re pleased with the progress he’s making. :-)

Personally I recommend these as they’ve really helped our young Shetland Sheepdog. :-)

Update 22/5/16

I thought I'd try an experiment with our youngster to just see what would happen now if our youngster was taken off these tablets. He was only off them for 12 hours. Inside the house he was fine, no problem there. When I took him out for his morning walk he was back to being frightened, so he only went on a very short walk as it wasn't fair to him and as soon as we got home I gave him his tablet.

I found out with my little experiment these tablets don't stay in the system permanently which is good so they can't get hooked on them.

So I can honestly say they do work and help our youngster a lot. :-) :-)
on 23 May 2011
dorwest Scullcap & Valerian a good product which I use all the time when I show my dogs to keep them carm