Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 July 2011
I am new to free hand embroidery and thought this would be a good book to start with. I like the first 34 pages of the book very much, which explain the basics. However, I didn't find the projects to be very inspiring - I thought that they looked a bit amateurish. Also, I didn't like the patterns very much - they don't look at all like what is featured on the cover. At most, I would make maybe 2 of the items. Some of the projects include: a Sewing Circle Bag, Felt Forest Creatures, Songbird Wristlet, Bohemian Tunic, Cafe Apron, Spring Step Shoes, Crazy Curves Headband, Flower Shop Skirt, Boxer Shorts, Mod Napkins, Fireworks Halter Top, etc.

So, I decided to buy Doodle Stitching: The Motif Collection instead. This is really more what I had in mind when I purchased the Fresh and Fun book. The first part of the book describes the basics. Then there are a few projects, which I actually like better than the ones in the Fresh and Fun book. But the best part is the last half, which includes lots of designs and inspiration.

I say skip this book and go straight to The Motif Collection.
on 30 July 2008
This book is a refreshing change from traditional embroidery books. It's modern and inspiring. Ideal for beginners. It concentrates on about 18 basic stitches to create a range of designs. No counting or measuring. Lot's of clear and bright photographs and only minimum equipment required. I can't wait to get started.
on 19 January 2009
This little book is a fantastic introduction to embroidery, it outlines lots of stitches very clearly and then gives instructions for how to use them in several projects. Most of the projects are not to my personal taste, but I wanted the book more as a guide to what kind of stitches to use to give different effects and for inspiration to create my own projects. This book would be ideal to beginners and would make a great present for someone just starting out.
on 1 September 2008
I love this book. The stitches used are simple yet effective, and are well explained. The designs are wonderful. Fresh, vibrant, trendy, inovative yet timeless. The artist is talented and I look forward to any other offerings from her. Even though I am not fantastically gifted at embroidery (especially satin stitch), the projects are inspirational and yet remain undaunting. It's a traditional craft brought bang-up-to-date.
11 comment|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 February 2009
You know the story...you buy a cheap t-shirt and wish you could make it different to all the other t-shirts you see in the street. Well this book might just help you to realise that dream.

The premise is that everyone can sew and get creative; all you need to start is a doodle pad and a pencil (be warned once you start customising clothes, bedding, towels...you just won't stop). There are clear pictures, easy to follow diagrams and simple simple instructions in this book making it a fantastic buy.

As a crafter I find the whole book deliciously inspiring just as I am sure anyone learning embroidery will...am off to buy a doodle pad now.
Doodle Stitching: Fresh and Fun Embroidery for Beginners

I have always wanted to embroider & have never been brave enough.I bought this book after reading the amazon reviews I was not disappointed it's fab! The stitches are presented clear & colourful. I loved that the projects are simple but also that they are inspiring, you really think I could do that, what's more I could add a bit of this and....I particularily liked the fireworks design on the halter top as it's a simple way to customise clothes & the cute softie owl & racoon. If you don't know where to begin by this you won't regret it!
on 18 July 2010
I was getting frustrated with cross stitch as I felt constrained to simply copy somebody else's design. I had always wanted to learn free hand embroidery but thought it was too difficult. I came across this book and it has been so refreshing to find a book about embroidery that is modern, easy and enjoyable and makes you want to make something straight away. The author openly shares how to have a go at her ideas and encourages you to swap designs with other ones, change colours and branch off and develop your own unique style. I feel like I can be as good as the author and make my own designs and gifts to give to my family and friends. I love this book very much. If you want to learn to embroider in your own way but think it is too difficult, buy this book and it will give you the confidence to do it. For the price it is such good value for the long-term enjoyment you are sure to get from it.
on 21 April 2009
A great little book. Not only full of ideas but fun as well. Perfect for any age too.
on 21 April 2009
I bought this book without ever embroidering before. There were good instructions at the start of the book about a number of stitches. I have tried a couple of designs and I was pleasantly suprised. Can't wait to do a few more!
on 2 September 2009
This is a brilliant introduction to embroidery and some easy modern uses for it. The stitches are clearly explained and then there are various projects showing ways to use them. Having done no embroidery beyond basic running, back, cross and chain stitch at school quite some time ago, I found this book a lovely introduction. Although I only tried a couple of the projects, this book has really inspired me to create my own designs.