Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 3 March 2012
I have just finished reading 'Don't Know Jack' after I was pointed at it by Lee Child on his own web site.

The fact that the author of the Jack Reacher series recommended it made sure I gave it a look.

As good as Lee Child? No, but having said that it was a very good read, such that I am looking forward to seeing how the series develops.

If you like Jack Reacher then give this a whirl, you wont regret it.
on 9 September 2012
Where to start on this farrago of cliched nonsense?

I can only assume that Lee Child had not actually read this when he praised it - either that or he has much lower standards for his reading material than he has for his own writing.

OK, the original premise sounded interesting, which was why I bought the book (Child's own "review" was also a persuading factor), but the "plot" is laughable, and the two main characters are just hack-job attempts at "chalk-and-cheese cop buddies with really, really interesting back-stories ... honestly" character creation. As for the mysterious FBI boss who sees and knows all ... oh dear. The whole experience was a second-rate waste of time (at least reading it on my Kindle means I didn't waste any paper).

Do we ever actually find out why Otto and Gaspar are looking for Reacher? ... OK, maybe if I hadn't finally given up at the ridiculous third-rate plot twist when the happy hooker arrives at the hotel, and they all end up in a high-class brothel, then I might have found out. However, by that point I really didn't give a toss about any of them. I can't even be bothered to skip to the end to find out.

As for all the cute semi-racist pet names they are constantly calling each other ... seriously? Capri and her editor thought that would work?

Somebody owes me £4.03, and Diane Capri owes me two hours of my life back.

Don't Know Jack (The Hunt For Reacher Series #1)

It gets one star because Amazon won't let me give it zero.
on 11 July 2012
I guess my main advice would be - try the sample first. Other people seemed to love it, but not me.

I was a little intrigued when I came across this, but also wary. However, it had really positive comments, so I downloaded the sample and read that - and hated it.

I really like the Reacher books, I like the way the writing appears simple but has depth, the characters, the plots, and the 'voice', the assurity. I re-read them, and had just re-read The Killing Floor, on which this bolt-on novel is based. I almost always just enjoy what I am reading, separate from the overall plot.

With 'Don't know Jack', though it appeared to be trying to mimic the style of writing, I found the complete opposite - the characters were simply annoying, the writing clunky, the details not enjoyable, and the link to the Child books irritating. If Lee Child wrote like this, I might have gritted my teeth to finish one book, but am unlikely to have tried again.

As it is, I thought about buying the whole thing - it might have improved - but there are millions of books out there so why waste my time on this?
on 10 March 2012
I came to this from a posting by Lee Child. The result is that I will have to reread "The Killing Room", which I thought I knew from start to finish having worn out two paper backs (why are Lee's books so re-readable - not all authors have this skill?).

Ignore the cover - that is the biggest let down. The book itself is fast paced. The twists to the plot are unexpected, right up to the end. Who are the good guys? Which copy or agent is tainted? What is Agent Otto's background - hinted it but never revealed?

Well researched. A great new series beckons that complements but never copies the Reacher series. Will all the mayhem that Reacher has left in his wake catch up with him?
on 27 July 2012
Its the sort of essay (its hardly long enough to call a book) that is written by schoolkids as an exercise after reading a good book. Just a rather poor writer latching on to someone elses abilities, Parasitic and poor with sevral inconsistencies
on 14 December 2012
If you are a Jack Reacher fan do not read this book. Tbe Jack Reacher name is used purely to cash in on Lee Child's work a d sell a badly written story witbout any semblance of a plot line.
on 29 September 2012
I only read this right through because I was on holiday and had nothing else to read!
If you think this is ANYTHING to do with Jack Reacher (writing style, type of story etc etc) it isn't. The name "Jack Reacher" is mentioned a couple of times but mostly to try to keep the reader thinking it might suddenly leap into Lee Child-style narrative action. It doesn't. The story takes several large, unco-ordinated leaps which leave the reader feeling like they've turned over too many pages at once and missed some important thread of the plot.
I daresay Diane Capri COULD write a good story, but she should start with a blank sheet of paper and develop her own plot and characters not try to bleed someone else's well-crafted and complete story dry.
Of course Jack Reacher is escapist reading, but plots which have some god-like figure hidden in the shadows who knows exactly what's going on and what will happen next before any of the characters is stretching reality beyond breaking point.
I've given this review 2 stars because I did manage to get to the end of it, but I reached that point with a great sense of relief that I didn't have to go on any further!
on 17 April 2012
This was a truly terrible book. The characters are laughably one dimensional, constructed entirely from cliche and bad attempts at snappy dialogue. People don't talk how Diane Capri thinks they do.

The plot jumps about for no apparent reason, inconsequential storylines and tertiary characters are introduced and disappear after a few paragraphs. I think the reader is supposed to care, but I didn't, because it's all so shoddily put together.

The viewpoint character doesn't help. Are we really supposed to believe that this irational, unlikable, en moron is a hotshot FBI agent? I wouldn't trust her with a pair of scissors, let alone tracking down Jack Reacher.

I could go on, but picking holes in this book is like shooting fish in a barrel made of fish. I'll leave you with my favourite example of inept writing in this book:
"Lotta snakes around here, both the two-legged and the four-legged kind."
on 23 April 2013
Very entertaining book almost as good as the original by Lee Child. Altough a little short very exiting from page 1 to end. Highly recommended for Reachers fans and + for the many depicted detailes of US small citiies and personalities.
on 22 March 2012
A very good start to what i hope becomes as good a series as the Jack Reacher novels. Two good main characters that interact well. Only one thing, Why would any one hunt Jack? Not a smart move.
a good read