Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Shop Suki Ad Campaign Pieces Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now Halloween Pets Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Learn more Shop now

Don't Kill Snails with Salt 4

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on 18 Apr 2012 14:18:15 BDT
P. Cobb says:

All that sawing, hammering, nailing and creosoting can be a real strain on the ankles. Wax on, wax off...

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Apr 2012 15:37:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Apr 2012 15:39:54 BDT
ha ha

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 15:03:24 BDT
once the fence is built, it needs painting. Fence Coat Black comes in 55 gal drums, easy to apply, and lasts a good while. I believe the company is based in Kentucky. :)
How are your family members doing today, Paul?

I may restart reading the HP series again. The books I've requested from the library are on hold due to high volume requests.

Posted on 19 Apr 2012 16:03:37 BDT
P. Cobb says:
Hi Grach:

Literally just taken a call from hospital Soc Worker. Despite mom thinking yesterday she was in her old residential Home at which she used to work, soc worker says docs believe she is fit for discharge. This will happen Mon, care package to start Tues. Doubtless within a fortnight she will be back in hospital.

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 07:16:10 BDT
lina says:
Good morning everyone!

P. Cobb, try to have a good rest this weekend

Good luck with the fencing Lil

Patricia what books are you waiting for from the library?

On Monday the school start (after a 2 -weeks holiday) and I am too bored (and tired...I think that holidays are more tiring than the other days). We are at the village, where the children play outside all the time and we have to return to the cily :(
But ok the summer is near!!!

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 08:25:39 BDT
Um - excuse me Lina I am not actually waiting for any books - I may have caused a misunderstanding in one of my posts - I am however, a book-freak and have a library of my own. I have reached the conclusion that Augustus besides being an emperor as also a selfpromoting egoist (sp) - but they were all a bit s0-inclined no?
I have been doing a heap of needlework here lately - no real time for reading I am hoping to make some table linen for a friend.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 23:03:31 BDT
I surmise your vain great tut has stopped visiting because the windows have got dirty, PC... lol ... not only have you & the missus not had time &/ or ability to clean them, but we`ve had lots of rain now to make them smeary... We don`t have birds flying into our windows as every time I clean them we have another gale & they get salt spattered again!!
Not good news about your mum`s situation ...I hope all goes well with the return home ... meantime have a restful weekend

Had a look at your tutor`s books on here, Grach... have you read any yet?... I don`t seem to have much time for reading at the mo. ...& it`s likely to get less I think... Toby took his first steps today!! so any restful periods when I`m on minding duty are likely to disappear!!

Don`t envy you having to move back to the city, Lina

Did the ankle brace work, Lil!! ... :)

Hope the needlework is going well Patti... do you use a machine or is it all hand work?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2012 19:34:46 BDT
Hi M-A, the ankle brace seemed to work very well thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2012 15:42:35 BDT
Mr. Shannon's books arrived yesterday! I have finished "Deadly Assembly" this morning. This is a really good courtroom, legal thriller. The event setting for the crime is my high school, albeit under a different name. I walked the route taken by the protagonist many times. I hope to finish "The Old Man And The Girl And The Turtle-Flambeau Flowage" today as well. I weep for those Antigo High School alumni who were not fortunate enough to have him as an instructor.

Paul, I hope your dad is ready to cope with your mum's return. I also hope the in-home care staff is prompt and diligent.
M-A, we finally have received rain. About an inch-and-a-half fell between Thursday and Friday. The fire danger has been reduced.
Lina, I hope all goes well this spring!

Have a Potter Day!

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 18:35:23 BDT
P. Cobb says:

Pater doesn't consider Mater his concern - they don't live together. She bubbly and excited this afternoon: "I'm going home tomorrow." Problem is she believes she is in an old folks' home - the one she used to work at (it was demolished years back), and she also thinks she has been in for just over a week, rather than the 7 weeks plus.
I really fear for how she WON'T cope once she is returned home then left on her own.

Last night when I went to bed I could hear squealing foxes at the back of our garden. This am when I looked out, there were 4 small fox cubs plus mom running around our garden. 3 cubs are same size, then 1 is the runt. The mother, being an urban fox, is mangy, part black coloured and her 'bush' is more like a stripped flue brush. I am beginning to suspect that their den might be under our shed.

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 19:02:03 BDT
Paul, your parents are in my best thoughts and prayers I think it is just a feature of your Mother's illness and indeed - in a way - your father's too - it is a heap for you to handle - but we humans are much the same as some of the best machinery in some cases - we do not age progressively in every part - I had similar probbos with my Mamma and my Stepfather - he was indeed a "Naughty Boy" and hurled his dinner at a Staff Nurse - language - Don't ASK !!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2012 00:25:38 BDT
Paul, I feel for you. I do hope all goes as well as possible. *sends hugs*

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2012 20:46:32 BDT
Hope all is under control & going better than expected PC... life`s not easy for us tweenies... thinking of you

Posted on 24 Apr 2012 21:37:03 BDT
P. Cobb says:
All geared up to be sent home Monday, care package to start today. Did food shop Sunday.
Yesterday her blood sugars too low, so all put on hold till today.
Today her blood sugars too low, so all put on hold till tomorrow. They now messing about with insulin adjustments and blood tests.
Tomorrow, who knows?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2012 16:51:36 BDT
PC...Looks like you & the missus had better go & have supper round mum`s to eat the stores... it could be several days if they are doing tests... :(

Posted on 25 Apr 2012 19:22:43 BDT
P. Cobb says:
We did, this evening. Put some washing in her machine and used up some milk.
Delayed until Fri or Sat min, depending on whether they stabilise BMs.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2012 13:53:05 BDT
holy cripey, P.C. i do wish I could help you. Why can't the docs see that she needs more advanced care than can be provided at home? I know, preaching to the choir here. I just wish I could help.
Is your dad ok?

We had rain here. fire danger diminished. average temps have reinstated themselves. mostly high single digits, low teens. I don' like it hotter.

it is payday so i'm sitting here sending the money away. *sigh*

I wish I could persuade a house elf to come here. I promise he wouldn't get paid. :) only days off if they were wanted. :)

Posted on 27 Apr 2012 10:54:34 BDT
P. Cobb says:
Had call from hospital yesterday - mom had a fall in the ward trying to get to the toilet and banged her head - predisely what I suspected will happen in her flat. They had her checked out and arranged a CT scan. Apparently all ok and they are still going to discharge her as soon as the care package can be put in place. Sis in law saw doc and they feel she now needs to move from an acute ward and be under her own GP again. They acknowledge that she does have 'a bit of confusion'. Halleluliah, we got there! Don't know how much of last week's shopping can now be used.

Have started looking at the HUGE HP from book to screen volume I had for Christmas. It's quite enlightening. Starting from beginning, so have been through cast recruitment and am on film one. The flying sequences were experimental in this film and things altered as they went along. The early brooms had bicycle saddles on them and the actors were strapped in as the brooms were winched 9' into the air with legs dangling. Hours spent like that proved sore on their nether regions so required padding and tougher mechanisms as the actors grew and weighed more.
The Hagrid problem was interesting. All the full length shots are not Robbie Coltrane in films 1 & 2, but an ex rugby player in a Hagrid suit that was 'scaled up' from casts of Coltrane.
The degree of design of sets never ceases to amaze me. Diagon Alley is an amazing set, but the interior of Gringotts was Australia House in London. As many of the sets in later films had yet to be built, they used lots of location work in films 1 & 2, with the kids getting 3 hours of tutor school coaching per day. The most experienced child actor was Tom Felton who was auditioned for both Harry and Ron.

Posted on 27 Apr 2012 11:17:39 BDT
Your Mother, Paul, has for so long been in my best thoughts and prayers - I doubt she will ever be out of them
I think they chose the right characters - at the end - though - Don't you ???

Posted on 27 Apr 2012 11:51:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Apr 2012 11:51:55 BDT
P. Cobb says:
Most characters, yes. One or two I had my own perception on before they appeared, ie Bill Maynard for Mundungus Fletcher and a Coronation Street actress (not in it now, mother of an ex barmaid) for Dolores Umbridge.

As Peeves the poltergheist never appeared, anyone have suggestions on a likely actor? Spike Milligan? Peter Sellers? Or, just had a brilliant thought - Charles Hawtrey from the Carry On films! All dead, but then so is Peeves!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Apr 2012 20:54:43 BDT
I thought the sets and actors were perfectly done. However the production got there, they chose wisely.

How much trouble is it to get a CT? The nurses tell the duty doc "Sarah Jane Smith fell, hit her head" Doc orders CT, I come up and get her. Scan her, exam read by radiologist, result called. done. It may take longer on a weekend or evening if someone has to be called from home or the duty tech is busy with other patients, but shouldn't take longer than an hour and a bit for that either.

sitting here folding clothes, watching telly. windy and cloudy today. my mum and dad are coming for a visit tomorrow. Mum gets a bit stir-crazy and needs to have a jaunt once in a while. It'll be sad when she can't drive anymore. Her vision and hearing are good, she doesn't speed, and the Chrysler has power steering.

I hope the med staff pay attention to your mum's behavior.
I wish Richard Harris had lived to complete the series.

Posted on 28 Apr 2012 23:59:05 BDT
P. Cobb says:
Rik Mayall played the part of Peeves in Film One, so my book says. Filmed and ended up on cutting room floor.

No 2 son has a girlfriend who is also a HP fan. Last October, her father booked his family onto the Levesden Studios tour as a Christmas present, but still couldn't get fitted in until today. They visited and have sent messages back saying it is brilliant. His girlfriend said she had tears in her eyes stood on Privet Drive set, the Hogwarts sets were great, but the piece de resistence was the huge model of Hogwarts.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2012 11:36:16 BDT
Rik Mayall would have made a brilliant Peeves pity they didn`t keep it in..... I agree with Grach about Richard Harris, though ... he was definitely the better Dumbledore
Most of the actors fitted their characters really well even if they didn`t always look as I imagined when reading the stories.
It was just the adjustments to the story line in the films that aggravated me a bit, but that deosn`t take anything away from the actors

Must book in a visit to the studios ... sis-in-law is an HP fan too so I could take her along...:)

Hope your mum & dad have good weather for their visit, Grach
...& I hope things are progressing well with your mum, PC

Horrendous weather here at the mo.... bucketing down ... usually it`s a fairly dry quarter when the wind`s strong from the NE but not this weekend... Ponies are snug in their winter weight rugs & have a corner of the field well sheltered from the NE by a big hedge... keep them supplied with hay & they`re happy!.... the cats dive out for a quick wee & then return to the hearth, only Meg keeps trying to get out & play in the garden .... but then with summer then the good weather during the winter she`s been allowed the run of the garden at most times, & can`t understand the restriction!!

Posted on 29 Apr 2012 12:35:14 BDT
P. Cobb says:
Warnings were given, but the gale-force winds here are horrific. Rain isn't as yet torrential, but the strength of the wind lashes it down so you get soaked to venture outside. Looking at the way the tree branches are being hurled around, I don't know where the birds choose to shelter, cos perching on a branch would be like taking a ride on a waltzer!

Been told mom is out tomorrow (unless she has any more falls or something else happens).

Posted on 29 Apr 2012 13:02:50 BDT
I have been looking forward to seeing the birds and the Squirrels all around on the green patches we have - that the Council sends nice people to look after - but they - the critters are all staying home - I have not seen my Crow in the yard - the pigeon was there - or maybe it was a member of his family - I have no idea how long they are likely to live - ever since I first read Harry Potter = I have wanted an Owl actually
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  1262
Initial post:  24 Mar 2012
Latest post:  12 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) by J.K. Illustrations by Mary GrandPre. Rowling (Hardcover - 2007)
4.6 out of 5 stars (1,365)