Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 January 2011
This double CD set is aptly titled, as it does include nearly all of David Soul's most beautiful songs. It's a step short of perfection, though, as it's missing my all-time favourite Soul song, "Simple Life". There are a few other songs I would have traded: "Dreamers", "Distant Shores", and "The Dutchman" are missing and could have replaced "I Drink", "Tattler", "Black Bean Soup", and "Landlord", but the remainder of the 42 songs are lovely, the best of David Soul's five albums. There are many timeless, sentimental, beautiful tunes, sung with David Soul's smooth melodic vocals. Although most of these songs were recorded in the 70's and 80's, there are certainly no expiration dates on these romantic ballads. The melodies remain catchy, the lyrics decently original, and the voice wonderfully soothing. While it would be nice to sit by a cozy fire listening to this music, it's suited me well for many a calming drive to and from work in rush hour. (Having read the insert included with the CD, I wish David Soul would also release on CD his early folk/pop recordings, if these include Music Man and Waiting Room.) David Soul is a versatile, competent singer with an excellent vocal range. His songs are performed with sincerity and heartfelt sensitivity; he is indeed a music man and artist, and nobody sings a love song quite like he does.
David Soul is better known as one half of the TV series Starsky and Hutch, but he was a folk singer back in the sixties; those roots show through on this collection of easy listening music. Having failed to make it as a singer, David switched to acting and his success as an actor allowed him to return to singing. On this collection, David's UK pop hits occupy the first five tracks on CD 1, which is quite handy if you have a quarter of an hour to fill in before having to go somewhere. However, it also serves to contrast his hits with the rest of his music.

David's hits were written by Tony Macauley, a British producer-songwriter who scored notable successes in the late sixties and early seventies via big international hits for the Foundations (Baby now that I've found you, Build me up buttercup), Edison lighthouse (Love grows where my Rosemary goes), Long John Baldry (Let the heartaches begin) and others. Tony Macauley had nothing to do with the other tracks presented here.

Don't give up on us reached the very top of the charts in both Britain and America early in 1977. It was his only significant American hit (did Americans regard his music as a novelty? I hope not), but he had four more hits in Britain. Going in with my eyes open reached number two. Silver lady became David's second number one. Let's have a quiet night in was a top ten hit. David's final UK hit, It sure brings out the love in your eyes, peaked at twelve.

The remainder of the collection shows plenty of evidence of David's folk roots though remaining in easy listening territory, with plenty of original material, but also including covers of Bird on a wire (Leonard Cohen), Tattler (Ry Cooder), Simple man (Graham Nash, I drink (Charles Aznavour) and By the devil I was tempted (Blue Mink).

David Soul's brief period of success in the pop charts is ling gone, but if you enjoy easy listening pop music with folk influences, this could be what you're looking for.
on 17 September 2014
Bought it for my Mother after she was reminded how much she liked him in the 70's following a certain TV ad. It has all his hits on (quite like them myself actually) it makes a nice change to some of the noise and repetitive bad rhyming called music these days. For the price, I thought it was a very good buy.
on 19 April 2013
This is a very good and comprehensive edition of David Soul's best songs, including both his most famous ones, from across his singing career, and several covers. The biggest hits are in the first cd, while the second contains many less known pieces, concluding, very aptly, with the short 'The Wall'.
There are 42 songs altogether, so the price is extremely good. A short three-page introduction by Paul Lester is also included. This collection is recommended both for people who are not familiar with Soul's work and want to get an idea (although the quality is on average very good, you obviously have to like this 'easy listening' kind of music to enjoy it), and old fans who wish to upgrade their vinyl collections getting as many songs as possible in one bunch.
on 28 April 2015
I discovered David Soul's music through being a huge fan of Salem's Lot. So I checked out his catalogue of music and I'm so glad I did. A great actor Soul is a fantastic singer. Easily in my top five solo artists. His voice is tender and filled with hope even in songs which are regretful or about loss.
Someone stated 'Tattler' and 'Landlord' shouldn't have been included which shocked me as these are two of my favourite songs. Another gem is 'Piper' an absolute amazing song which might get over looked amongst the big singles like 'don't give up' and 'Silver Lady'
Whenever I want to relax or be creative this cd is my first choice. Highly recommend.
on 1 October 2014
As a massive fan of David Soul's big hits this was always going to be good but it also gives an interesting view into his later and less well known work and brings a new respect for this versatility, range and clarity. This is a fab album, well worth listening to and a reminder, if you need it, why he was so popular and why he still sounds so good today.
on 28 September 2012
I used to watch all of Starsky and Hutch without fail. I adored David Soul. I then had 2 lps of his so when I saw this cd of his best songs I had to buy it.
on 20 February 2015
Don't Give Up On Us The Very Best Of David Soul is a 2CD Album compilation containing all his chart single releases plus other tracks that were quite nice to listen to that I had not heard before
on 27 July 2011
This is a brilliant CD of ALL of David's hits and features many album tracks from his old vinyl LPs 'David Soul', 'Playing to an Audience of One' and from the rare 'Band of Friends' and 'Best Days' albums. Tracks from his (unreleased?) album 'Leave a Light On' are also included. The only disappointment was that 'A Simple Life' was not included. This is a double CD with 42 tracks altogether.
on 9 May 2014
took me back to the time after starsky & hutch,when david souls songs were charting in the uk.i always was a fan of his music & am delighted with this compilation.