on 17 September 2001
Like many people, I have found the personality of Dolly Parton bursting with such humour and possitivity that to find this book was a real discovery. Throughout 'DP: My life and Other Unfinished Business',many layers of history and personal difficulties are handeled with depth and sensitivity. A life so rich in moments of wonderment. Parton never gives up on herself: from such meager beginnings, to times of real personal tradgedy, her inner light shines ever bright. Reading each page and waiting on every word, I was inspired by the wonderful energy that Parton exhumes with the passing of each experience that coloured her life. On reading the book, you can't help but feel a Tennessee twang come over as the rich text leads you deep in to her Smokey Mountain home and beyond into the wonderful world of one of the worlds most loved and respected personalities. Truely this is the most compelling and endearing of all 'Rags to riches' fairy tales. This book adds new depth and meaning to Parton's back catalogue. Songs that have difined my own life growing up on the other side of the world. If you get a chance, listen to the CD 'HeartSongs- live from home'- It makes the perfect soundtrack. Read this book and I guarentee you will see why there is only one Dolly Parton.
on 16 December 2007
Bought this 'used' as a gift for a fan of hers (hard to buy this close to Xmas 'new') so thought there would be no harm in having a little read of it myself. WOW! I'm not a fan of her music but I am either going to have to read very quickly or buy 'the fan' another present as I cannot put this book down.
Dolly tells the story so well you can easy visualize her tough but loving childhood and am desperate to read the rest of the book (am up to chapter 4 adn the book is great so far)
Highly reccommended if you like a really good story
on 29 January 2002
The book was quite frank and I was glad of this. It made me want even more to visit the places that she mentions in the book, to see for myself, what must have been a wonderful place to grow up in. The people she describe in the book seem so loving and friendly, not at all what we see on TV.
I felt really pleased that I had taken the time to read the book and enjoy her passed and apperciate how hard she must have strugled to be the person that she is today.She made me greatful for all the things that I have. You must read this book if you have and interest in Dolly Parton.
on 21 March 2015
Interesting and an enjoyable read but it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know about Dolly Parton - her marriage or her career. The best bits were the personal anecdotes from Dolly which made me smile. The question and answer section at the back of the book was a good idea. For Dolly Parton fans the book is an enjoyable read but not very enlightening.
on 25 January 2012
This brilliant book written by the 6' nailed songstress is well worth a read!

Sadly out of print now I believe, but I strongly recommended getting hold of a copy of if you... its really interesting to hear about her life and views... and also little tit-bits of where songs originated from! The pictures are also fascinating, detailing dolly's life.

The book is old, I think she finishes it in the mid 1990s and there's been an additional 20 years of history since its release!

Written in a sweet, innocent way, with a hint of humour and southern American twang that only Dolly would know how to do!

Dont be put off thats it old - enjoy it for what it was - I couldnt put it down!

This book is a must for any Dolly fan!
on 30 December 2014
I love Dolly ! I love the way she tells a story during tv interviews and she always seems so friendly and genuine. The book was slightly disappointing regarding the history timeline of her songs and not much info on the story behind the songs and not much said about her husband and it lacks a lot of dates and times so you loose touch with what year she is in but having said that I did enjoy the book with Dolly telling the old fashioned childhood stories about her dirt poor upbringing which she tells in her funny endearing way.You get her life story in a round about way just not terribly detailed in some ways but I did enjoy it a great deal.
on 30 July 2014
Brilliant book, couldn't find anything about her life from book shops in England. Fast arrival and good condition for second hand
on 17 January 2015
I loved reading this.Dolly writes in a chatty way and it was fascinating to learn about her upbringing.I was amazed to learn about how driven she was from such an early age.Her life has been full of action and she tells it well.There is the feeling that there is much she doesn't reveal but that is her choice .She certainly is a very interesting character and it goes without saying that she is tremendously talented.Hopefully she will write volume 2 before too long!
on 18 December 2011
I love love love this book. I read it from the library years ago and bought it again a couple of years back. Since then i have passed it onto my mum and my niece. I have bought copies for my daughter, another niece and a friend. They all love it too.
She tells of her poor childhood in the mountains (and her coat of many colours) right up to her becoming known.
I had smiles, laughs and a heavy heart at times. One of my favourite books ever.
on 19 February 2014
I was a little fascinated by Dolly so bought the book. She writes as I can imagine she would speak to you, so it was like having her in the room with you. She's led an interesting life and has a different outlook to life than I think most people.

The book was a little thought provoking, an easy read. Although she is known for her faith she certainly didn't ram it down your throat.