Seventeen of the world’s most daring aerial combat battles, viewed from the pilot’s chair. High above the ground, at speeds reaching thousands of miles per hour, fighter aircraft face off in some of the most intense battles in the history of warfare. HISTORY™ brings these battles to life in Dogfights - The Complete Season Two
, a riveting documentary series narrated by the aces themselves. Each episode describes the technology and history of classic aircraft and briefs viewers on the enemy, before dramatising aerial combat from the pilot’s point of view through state-of-the-art CGI. From Fokker tri-planes and SE5s duelling over Belgium in World War I, to the American F-15s that fought in Operation Desert Storm, Dogfights
is the closest thing to having actually fought these battles.
• The world’s most daring Dogfights
narrated by the pilots who lived them are on six jam-packed DVDs.
• Each episode is 40% CGI with views from the pilot’s chair, narrated by the flying aces that flew in the real dogfights.
• Viewers will meet the pilots, learn about the technology and history of the classic aircraft and be briefed on the enemy before viewing the life and death combat from an aerial view.
• Includes previously unseen bonus features.Episodes comprise
1. Kamikaze - It was a weapon conceived in desperation yet horrifying in its destructive power--young Japanese pilots willing to turn themselves into human bombs to attack the US fleet in the Pacific.
2. Jet vs Jet - In the skies above North Korea, a new kind of air war is raging at 500mph...jet vs. jet dogfighting for the first time in history.
3. Thunderbolt - Machine gun fire rips through the fuselage. Flames fill the cockpit and the aircraft plummets in a wild spin. But time and again the pilot of a P-47 Thunderbolt pulls out and keeps on fighting.
4. Gun Kills of Vietnam - The missile age has dawned over the skies of Vietnam and the era of conventional dogfighting is thought to be over. However, the missiles of the F-4 Phantom proved ineffective during close-in turning fights with agile MiG fighters.
5. Desert Aces - The Israeli air force mastered the use of the Mirage III over decades of intense air combat with its neighbours.
6. The First Dogfighters - World War I saw the birth of a new type of combat: the dogfight. Aces from almost every nation take canvas and wire bi-planes into battle and pioneer new tactics.
7. Luftwaffe's Deadliest Mission - The chronicles of the German Luftwaffe's Zondercommando Elbe.
8. No Room For Error - It's where a pilot can ill afford to make a mistake...but where dogfights are so often drawn. Down to the deck, at treetop level, where the margin for error is zero. Witness first hand the grim and grisly reality of low-level dogfighting.
9. Night Fighters - In pitch-black skies, brave pilots put their lives on the line in an effort to gain the ultimate advantage...the ability to attack, kill, and withdraw without ever being detected. It's a risky mission that depends heavily on technology.
10. The Bloodiest Day - In addition to great "turn and burn" battles, the dogfights involve some remarkable electronic warfare as F4 Phantoms, F-105s, and numerous other aircraft as they descend on North Vietnam.
11. P-51 Mustang - In the aerial battleground of World War II, the P-51 Mustang proved itself to be the most famous war bird in history. Take a look at three of its most memorable battles.
12. Dogfights of Desert Storm - A generational leap in technology and strategy is put to the ultimate test over enemy airspace in Iraq. The air combat of the future begins with America's first large scale air offensive since the Vietnam War.
13. Tuskegee Airmen - African-American pilots of the 332nd distinguished themselves as one of the most successful fighter groups of the war, despite the bigotry and prejudice they faced from their own countrymen.
14. MiG Killers of the Midway - At the end of the Vietnam war the USS Midway's pilots and airmen engaged in some of the most thrilling and intense air combat.
15. Supersonic - In the fighter pilot business, they say "speed is life." From the era of piston-driven, prop planes like the F4U Corsair to high-performance jets like the F-86 Sabre and the F4 Phantom...the pursuit of greater speed has defined the development of aircraft.
16. Dead of the Luftwaffe - Operation Bodenplatte was a daring plan to destroy American forward air bases all over Holland, Belgium, and the Netherlands during World War ll.
17. Secret Weapons - This episode features secret weapons of World War II, including Japanese kaiten suicide submarines, German Me 163 Komet rocket powered fighter planes, and the American remote controlled airplanes of Operation Aphrodite.
18. Dogfights of the Future - Follow the fifth generation aircraft in a hypothetical combat featuring F-22 Raptors, F-35 Lightning II and the seldom mentioned B-1R bomb truck. Military experts discuss the conflict aided by computer animation