Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Apr 2010 22:45:52 BDT
M. Dowden says:
I know that so far there has only been one episode of the new Doctor, played by Matt Smith. But what are people's first impressions?

I liked David Tennat and his zany depiction, but I presonally feel that Matt Smith has taken us back to the old days where the Doctor was mad and you didn't really know what he was going to do next. Could Matt be the new Tom Baker? By the way I love the new Tardis console.

Posted on 20 Apr 2010 17:56:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Apr 2010 17:57:25 BDT
R. Madican says:
I don't think so because of 2 reasons:
1) Amy saves the day (well the show is primarily aimed at little girls these days)
2) The Doctor almost killed the space whale(he's getting used to genocide these days) and he couldn't talk the Dalek bomb down, he needed help which is very un-Doctor like.
So a weedy Doctor unable to do anything, without a teenage girl to save us all doesn't sound old school to me. The old style Doctor feigned ineptitude, where have the 900 years of experience and the ultra intellect got to?
Basically it is because the show is for little girls, that's why there isn't any science element any more(can't fit it in with all that touchy feely emotional rubbish). It's become fantasy entertainment. I'd prefer it if for there to be a strong science element and a role model for boys. It would then be more like family entertainment

Posted on 2 Jun 2010 21:14:02 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jul 2010 00:07:29 BDT
Keith_Joseph says:
Somehow young Matt looks like one of the oldest Doctor Who incarnations - I guess a lot of that is down to the jacket and bow tie. I like this as it gives an odd sense of maturity [and thus perhaps wisdom] to the 11th doctors youthful antics. Matt also started off with a very good 10th doctor impression, which made the transition very easy. However my highlight so far is probably Dr River Song and that airlock - although she is a bit of a naughty role model for the young ladies. The doctor's moralistic overtones seem as rock-solid as ever, so I think our young men are safe for the moment [behind the sofa]. When my 8 year old nephew tried watching Dr Who unfortunately the first episode he chose to view was 'Blink,' and he found it too frightening to watch and so sadly gave up on Dr Who.

I also like the new Doctor's tendency not to get overly bogged down in pseudo-scientific babble when attempting to rationalise the impossible, but instead simply say something like "Oh, it's 'Void Stuff'". I suppose the doctor could be considered as a Wizard or Angel character anyway, with a sonic screwdriver for a wand, although his magic is based on the advanced science of the Time Lords - who may even have created our universe, as they seem to have had the technology to extinguish it. It's the lesser species like the Hu-mons and Silurians that still have to do all the boring scientific research stuff, as they are still unsure what exactly is going on in the universe. As the BBC confidentials point out, the Doctor needs a 'companion' so that he can explain to them where they are, what's going on, what he's doing about it and why, etc.. otherwise there'd be an awful lot of TV footage of the Doctor just pushing TARDIS buttons in silence.

Oh, and yeah, on the Doctor Fez's ARE cool!

Posted on 21 Jun 2010 08:55:37 BDT
C. Disley says:
Can't say it's a first impression anymore, but after Matt's performance in The Pandorica Opens - he secured his place. His expressions certainly say a thousand words.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2010 20:29:13 BDT
"I'd prefer it if for there to be a strong science element"

Er, Dr Who never really had a strong science element, it's always been sci fi/fantasy. And he's always needed help from his companions at some point.

"a role model for boys"... Hmmm so a male lead who tries to avoid violence and bloodshed as a rule, never sleeps with his travelling companions, and can usually fix whatever's broken around the home isn't a role model of any kind?

Deary, deary me. You probably object to his making football almost palatable for the female audience, as well.

Bow ties are cool.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2010 14:16:02 BDT
R. Madican says:
"a role model for boys"... Hmmm so a male lead who tries to avoid violence and bloodshed as a rule, never sleeps with his travelling companions, and can usually fix whatever's broken around the home isn't a role model of any kind?
Take it from me that's no man I've ever met and never will, unless of course he is asexual, I suppose then that he could at least be described as the last of his kind.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  4 Apr 2010
Latest post:  4 Jul 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 1 [DVD]
Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 1 [DVD] by Matt Smith (DVD - 2010)
3.7 out of 5 stars   (94)