on 4 September 2007
These episodes are brilliant, the first one "Utopia", which has the return of Captain Jack and the Master, is when the Doctor travells to the end of the universe. This is a great episode with a great cliffhanger.(9/10)
The Second episode "Sound of the Drums" is a follow on to "Utopia" but is set in London. We found out that the Master is Prime Minister of Great Britain. This is a great episodes, it's funny and a good story.(10/10)
The third and final episode of the series named "Last of the Timelords" is a great, exciting, thrilling episode. The Master has fully taken control in this episode, although it doesn't go to plan.(10/10)
I strongly recommend you buy this.(Overall:10/10)
VINE VOICEon 27 July 2007
The epitome of all that Russell T Davies has achieved in his time on the show, this DVD deserves a place in your collection. The three episodes are all stunning in different ways. They're fast, funny (in places), moving, look spectacular and contain several brilliant performances, particularly from David Tennant and John Simm. They achieve a real sense of drama that matters and the cliffhangers succeed in putting the Doctor in situations where you think 'How can he POSSIBLY get out of this one?!'
One reviewer on this page says: 'It's hardly The Daemons'. No, it's not. It's a thousand times better than that Jon Pertwee story in every conceivable way: plot, dialogue, acting, special effects, just general FEEL, everything. Celebrate the apex of this wonderful TV series.
on 15 February 2013
PLEASE CAN WE HAVE MORE NEW EPISODE OF DR WHO IN THIS FORMAT OF SCRIPT AND ACTING PEOPLE MOVE ON BEFORE THEY BECOME STEREOE TYPE OR TYPE CAST WHICH IS FAIR ENOUGH BUT SOME TIMES, SOME SHOWS, GO ON, LIKE RERUNS ,AND REPEATS, THIS ONE SHOULD HAVE GONE ON AND ON
on 19 May 2011
this arrived very fast and was what it said on the packet brand new my nephew was pleased with his xmas present which was one of many many thx i will be defintly using this seller and amazon again
on 7 July 2007
So, folks here we have the last, and in my opinion the greatest ever Doctor Who to be produced during the last three years. Utopia, (10/10), is an excellent precursor to the introduction of the Doctor's greatest nemesis, The Master, played by Sir Derek Jacobi in the guise of Professor Yana only to regenerate into John Simm who has an excellent opening exchange with Tennant's Doctor, "Why don't we sit, and have a nice chat about I'll tell you all my plans, and you try, and stop me. I DON'T THINK!", and his classic one-liner, "End of the universe, have fun. Bye-bye". John Simm delivers a career-defining performance as The Master which everyone's been talking about being the best thing since sliced bread on Doctor Who.

The Sound Of Drums, (10/10), sees John Simm as Prime Minister, Harold Saxon, and his scene-stealing peformances again set the tone for the episode gassing his entire cabinet. One classic exchange between Saxon, and one of his ministers (Johnathan Gecks) calling him insane, and in response wearing his gas-mask gives him the thumbs-up before he dies.

The centrepiece of the episdode is the exchange between Saxon, and the American President, and this is where the fun part of the episode bursts into life when John Simm is really in his element making fun of the American President, and taking the piss before killing the President on The Valliant. He ages the Doctor with his laser screwdriver, and his classic line as regards to the shooting of Captain Jack Harkness, "He's not dead for long so I get to kill him again." It again shows the class of actor John Simm who clearly must be enjoying himself with the part he has now made his own.

The Last Of The Timelords, (10/10), is an excellent way to end Series three. This episode goes forward a year, and centres on Martha Jones's quest to stop The Master's empire by travelling the world, and using words not weapons to defeat him. The best scene of this episode is when The Master is shot, and cradled in The Doctor's arms urging him to regenerate, but being the nasty piece of work he is he refuses, and dies.

The Doctor burns The Master's body or is it his body?, on a pyre. As we have witnessed in the 1984 Doctor Who story, "Planet Of Fire", where the then-Master, Anthony Ainley was burned to death, and then resurfaced in the 1985 Colin Baker Doctor Who story, "The Mark Of The Rani", with a vengeance The Master has a nasty way of popping up again anytime, anyplace, and anywhere so the Doctor better be on the lookout.

I hope John Simm does come back. He has to. Russell T Davies must bring The Master back for the fourth series. Watching Simm's performance was like watching a showman which was well-worth the price of admission.

Highly recommended!!!
on 5 December 2012
My son is dr who mad and was missing this dvd in his collection. Hence to say the whole family have to watch them over and over which we don't really mind as this is a good watch.
VINE VOICEon 21 September 2007
Oh yes. OH PLEASE!

Do it again. Thats right... just... above the left shoulder.

That's it.

AAAGGGHHH!

I have to say that I enjoyed the "Sound of drums" episode so much that at the end of it I needed to locate a box of tissues and take a run around the block. I just cannot apologise enough for such ridiculous behavior, except to say that now there are several people on the list to whom I would gladly fall at the feet of, send my underwear to and pay undying hommage to - and John Simm has now entered that charmed circle. His performance as the master is so stupifyingly brilliant that I feel - reborn - just by watching it!

But why? The bloke is off his face! He's MAD! He's EVIL!

So why do I desperately want to be like him?

This is perhaps the genius of the writing. I couldn't come up with this if you packed me into a 4 by 4 closet with unlimited pizza and a typewriter and the occasional conjugal visit. It simply would not happen. I know my limitations all too well, but in fact RT Davis has got my number and is simply rubbing this in my face now.

I realized that this whole season was remarkable from the beginning. I hadn't really enjoyed the Cybermen from the last series taking over London, but cleverly, it only seemed like TV after the usual time line re-embedding, but this season was wonderful. Space Rhinos. Shakespeare! The old Rugged cross (which had me quite literally sobbing for joy), stone statues, big crab monsters, cat women, public school boys, hair dying machines, giant cockroaches, gas attacks on the British cabinet, the sky splitting asunder to Voodoo Child, and... did I mention the Rhinos?

This series has hit highs that I could not have possibly anticipated, Martha Jones hits that spot every time, and John Simm is mad in only a way that I can fantasise about.

Because I'm really quite sensible. Honestly.

Really.

I promise....
on 17 November 2013
These episodes are Doctor Who at its best. The return of the Master only adds to the quality of the series and adds to an impressive story line.
on 20 July 2013
I have wnated this for quite a while and I finally got it and they are brilliant episodes, certainly some of the best out there!
on 13 September 2010
Bought this DVD for my daughter (9)as watched on the telly & decided it was one of the best in series. Deffo for the collection.