Doctor Who Guilty Pleasures

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Jun 2010 20:56:39 BDT
Hi. Everyone knows which stories, as a who fan, we are supposed to love and those we are supposed to dislike - but thinking of the latter, which Who stories of the past 47 years are your 'guilty pleasures'? ie: which stories do you secretly like, even when you're not supposed to? For me - I love Creature from the Pit and Timelash - both universally despised in the Whoniverse - so come on, spill those secrets........reasons would be great as well as story titles from any Who era so far.

Posted on 15 Jul 2010 11:49:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jul 2010 14:44:38 BDT
Paul Tapner says:
The space museum. The last three episodes dont live up to the invention of the first one but even so there's a real sense of threat hanging over them which makes them quite watchable. You know the doctor will escape the monsters but time? not so obvious.

Colony in space. one of my favourite pertwees. it's good science fiction. and you actually get a reason as to why the planet is all quarries.

Horns of Nimon. Good fun if you don't want a story that takes itself too seriously. And romana with a take charge attitude and a striking costume is rather appealing.

And one of my top five stories ever: the androids of tara. Sure it rips off the prisoner of zenda but it's pure fun and delightful entertainment

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2010 20:42:08 BDT
Torchy says:
I love Time-Flight!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2010 15:50:06 BDT
Guy Roberts says:
Invasion of the Dinosaurs - a hugely entertaining B-movie story with hilariously unconvincing killer reptiles. An excellent script and a fine cast that even prompt Pertwee to pull his finger out and actually try acting for a change. Episode one survives only in a battered monochrome but I hope the restorers will get round to recolourising it so we can have a DVD release.

Posted on 5 Aug 2010 20:26:05 BDT
Im glad im not the only member of the "I love TIME-FLIGHT" brigade.
To be honest I do secretly enjoy watching this story,if only for mildly sniggering at the cheapness of the production and the excruciating acting and dialogue that spouts forth from the guest cast.
What with Angela(oh Roger,I can't control the illusions)Clifford,and the Concorde pilots who are wetter than my local swimming baths.Its just a pity that it was not better realised.....

Posted on 15 Aug 2010 11:44:00 BDT
MR says:
The Time Monster. On the down side it's got a lot of silly bits, including that ridiculous rotating thingie, and armies that suddenly decide to fight each other for no reason (and with no casualties despite being practically in nudging distance of each other). It's got bad technobabble that wouldn't be equalled until the RTD era.

On the up side, it's very entertaining. It meanders in a good way - one minute they're doing dangerous lab experiments, the next the Doctor and the Master are playing tricks on each other, the next it's time-displaced missiles causing havoc, the next is Sgt Benton turning back into a baby, the next it's TARDIS-inside-TARDIS shenanigans, the next it's an adventure in ancient Atlantis, the next it's the Doctor reassuring Jo with a story from his childhood, the next it's the latest take on the Theseus and the Minotaur (Doctor Who's third of at least six, if memory serves), the next it's the destruction of Atlantis, the next it's a superpowerful being telling the Master he's been a very naughty boy, the next it's an embarrassed Sgt Benton who's been restored to adulthood sans clothes.

What's not to like?

Er, the execution, perhaps.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Sep 2010 16:09:28 BDT
Sophie says:
"On the down side it's got a lot of silly bits" - but those are my favourite bits! I love The Time Monster, it's so completely ludicrous you want to watch the whole thing just to see what they'll come up with next. a time jammer made out of a wine bottle? Sure. Benton turning into a baby? Check! UNIT vs a bunch of Civil War soldiers? Why not?

Posted on 5 Nov 2010 12:12:14 GMT
Liz Shaw's miniskirts.

Posted on 6 Nov 2011 21:34:06 GMT
All of Doctor Who is a guilty pleasure isn't it?

Posted on 4 Jan 2012 09:49:37 GMT
Matt says:
Time and the Rani; Paradise Towers; Delta & the Bannermen; Dragonfire. I loved them as a kid, and I still love them now. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  27 Jun 2010
Latest post:  4 Jan 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Doctor Who - The Dominators [DVD] [1968]
Doctor Who - The Dominators [DVD] [1968] by Patrick Troughton (DVD - 2010)
3.7 out of 5 stars   (41)