on 16 June 2003
I found this book very thought provoking and well written.
It is about the dialogue between parent and child: the child's struggle for independence and the parent's difficulty in letting go. The child will use its initiative if allowed to do so and genuine respect for the child is necessary. We need to trust our children if they are ever to trust themselves. Let them get dirty and take some risks climbing because the 'process is the product'. Children need adult support, but they do not need interference, which can damage their growth. Child paced living helps children to grow spontaneously. They need time to play, time to stare to preserve their emotional health and we invade at our peril. The adult who is constantly correcting her child appears less not more in control. Jackson offers ways in which parents can break their cycle of control and at the same time consider their own needs. She refers throughout to the philosophy of educationalist Maria Montessori and to the La Leche League approach of empowering rather than instructing.
on 27 July 2001
...not just for parents, but also extended family members too. Insightful, warm and down to earth. Discusses the ins and outs of parenting, and ways to make it easier, more natural...things that feel right, make sense. The author draws on many different sources, including her own experiences to do this. Focusing on respect, honesty and learning to lighten up on yourself and your kids, this is well worth reading at any stage of your family's development.
on 15 October 2000
this is a fantastic read for anyone dealing with children from parents to professionals. this book has a wonderful caring approach towards children. it makes us the adult, stop to think about our own being and how we can reflect on young minds. the book has taught the reader to stop and take note of our children and put our society on hold. the author allows us to question ourselves....a thought provoking read.
Jackson writes well and fluently so I never had that dreadful feeling of reading an instruction manual. There is real empathy and humour in her work and she is not afraid to admit her own parenting mistakes, which is enormously comforting when you are about to have a family of your own. I found myself thinking about things in a different and more positive light when I had finished the book and have put some of the ideas into practice to great effect.
on 22 December 2014
This is my parenting bible. this lady is top notch--well researched, lovely writing style, really goes to the heart of an issue with grace and wonder and a kind of integral honesty that you absolutely cannot turn away from. every new parent should read this, especially if you want to raise your child with love, respect, acceptance, openness, and understanding. actually, i recommend all of her works, i have always been blown away by her books!
on 14 October 2014
Also did not come away feeling very relaxed! Fairly dogmatic and full of examples about his the author naturally got it all right with her parenting - given that her children were not yet grown up at the time of writing I think she should have reserved judgement. I'm sure they are perfectly nice kids but surely most children with half-interested parents turn out okay.
on 13 March 2012
Easy to read, even for a busy mother, full of ideas and the thinking behind them. This book was like having an experienced friend walking alongside me as I figured out what sort of parent I wanted to be. Deborah Jackson introduces a whole world of fascintating research and literature, but always anchored in the reality of day to day life with a small child.