on 8 June 2014
Let me begin by noting something I wish I would have noted before I bought this book. Many of the five-star reviews of this book both in Amazon.co.uk and on Amazon.com are written by reviewers having only reviewed a single book. In other words, these reviews look suspiciously like dishonest reviews. The first five-star review on Amazon.com was even written by the author's sister, who conveniently failed to disclose her obvious conflict of interest when reviewing the book. Not good signs, upfront.

That being said, what is the book actually like? I bought the book for opinions and advice on entrepreneurship and life with a startup company. The book does cover such topics. However, it reads a bit more like an autobiography than anything else. Basically, the book covers how the author, Miki Agrawal, got annoyed by her internship and quit, had a stint in investment banking and quit, and then decided to start up a company of her own (a gourmet pizza restaurant in New York). There's even some advice in the end on keeping fit and finding love.

The most glaring problem with the book is that the author comes of as ridiculously self-centered, boasting and even somewhat disparaging of many other people. The style of the book's writing is sort of teenage-y, with heads-up to friends, occassional references to her twin sister (Radha, or just Rads, as she refers to her) and frequent exclamation signs. For the first few chapters, it feels as if the purpose of the author mainly is to show off how amazing she is, how much energy she has and how easily she makes friends and gets stuff done. She seems rather eager to show how much she is one of the cool kids. I actually lent this book to a friend before reading it myself, and he gave it back to me after these first chapters because he simply couldn't stand it.

These problems apart, the stated purpose of the author is to write a guide for young entrepreneurs wanting to start a business. One problem in this regard is that most young entrepreneurs probably don't really start out with the same sort of resources as the author (Ivy League education, many resourceful friends and certainly not a poor family). The author doesn't really seem to reflect on this, and appears more or less to take these things for given, which doesn't come off as very sympathetic to the issues of the average person. On a more positive note, Agrawal actually makes some good points throughout the book. She is consistently very energetic and ambitious, and this is somewhat inspiring. Taking risks and not being afraid of making mistakes are certainly important skills, both for aspiring entrepreneurs and for living life in general, and Agrawal appears to have these skills in spades.

Still, all in all, I found this book rather disappointing. The author and her writing is annoying, and the advice and ideas presented by the book is not very impressive. The hype generated around this publication appears to be precisely that, hype. For a book with practical advice on entrepreneurship (less personal, admittedly), I'd instead recommend "The smart entrepreneur" by Bart Clarysse and Sabrina Kiefer.
on 20 March 2014
The author writes in an auto-biography style pointing out her successes and how to get the best from situations, and also her pitfalls with tips on how we can avoid them. This is not a reference book by anymeans, but some good tips for careers or starting up a business. Easy to read with useful points clearly summarised in each chapter. The downside is how she sometimes waffles on a bit, and you're waiting for the point of the story. Also, I stopped reading before the end, as the book seemed to lose direction, and just try to talk about general things as though she is now a life coach. Perhaps others would get more from the end, but I was reading it with the view of potentially starting my own business.
on 9 April 2014
The four stars are given for the first half of this book, where the author tells us her story of opening her own business. There are truly great insights, tips, challenges, and advice for anyone who is even dreaming of opening their own business. This book challenged me to think of my work and my business in a different way. It inspired me to get off my butt and actually start doing cool s*** already!

And then there is the second half of the book. The part where Agrawal takes us through how to build friendships, how to be fit and healthy, and how to keep romance alive. The author clearly loves her life - which is great! But I found it quite sad this sort of instruction manual on how to be happy. Her choices and her lifestyle work for her, but it's naive to assume that she has found "the right way to live". That her happiness can be universally super-imposed onto any individual? I'm not buying it.

Read this book! Please read this book! It's great. It is positive and inspiring and encouraging and funny and clever. But I recommend skipping the chapters on the author's love-life and travel journal.
on 2 February 2016
This book was so boring I didn't finish it.
The author name drops continously and has a hugh ego.
Leave this book on the shelf and buy something else.
on 22 January 2016
Really good read. If nothing else just good to read about someone so brash who takes what they want and doesn't ask permission.
on 8 August 2013
Im pretty useless at reviews. All I can say read this book. It is super funny, honest, straight up talking (like me, us Northern Girl, UK like direct words), daring,creative and totally inspiring. Go and get this book, and really change your life for ever.....its already got me smiling (read and you will understand why we need to smile more)and find my own journey. Thank you Miki Agrawal for sharing xDo Cool Sh*t: Quit Your Day Job, Start Your Own Business, and Live Happily Ever After
on 25 April 2014
I recommend this book to anyone looking to start their own business. Miki's story is truly inspirational and shows with enough effort and flexibility in thinking we can all achieve great business success and also give back to the community too.

Mike's writing style is easy to read and the book is entertaining from start to finish.

The book even pushed me to finally quit my own job and run my side project (Improve My Search Ranking - SEO business) full time.

Thanks Miki!

Josh
on 20 September 2013
This book is a breath of fresh air. It's charming, awe-inspiring and totally kick-ass.
It made me realise that instead of just doing all the awesome things I'd dreamed of doing,
I'd been putting up barriers and letting my fear of failure paralyze me.
Miki is one of life's do-ers. She is the physical embodiment of the concept of 'Carpe Diem'.
When you read her story, and listen to her "Hell-yeah!" approach to life, it makes you want to be like her.
This book has given me the courage to set up my own Social Enterprise. I couldn't be happier!
on 8 November 2013
Really well put together guide to how to get started in whatever business your choose. Down to earth writing style which makes it accessible to all. Highly recommended.
on 5 November 2015
Lots of great points and gave me the kick up the backside I needed!