Customer Discussions > Death Magnetic forum

Distortion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Sep 2008 15:18:18 BDT
gusone says:
The CD is deliberately distorted. This was the choice of the band .. go figure that one but presumably they were eating the same magic mushrooms when they decided to use a dustbin lid for a snare drum on St Anger. That said I like the CD but the distortion is going to take a hell of a lot of getting used to for an audiophile like me and it sounds pretty bad in earphones. I guess the theory is that one cranks it up on the stereo and the fake distortion is there to maximise the effect. What's ironic is the DJ/radio stations pre releases were special EQ massaged versions that allegedly toned down the distortion for live play. A contradiction right there however I like the CD. It rocks. Lots of riffage and double bass drums, solos, time changes etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2008 11:16:54 BDT
Mo says:
There's no evidence it was the choice of the band. Neither is it the masterer's fault, the blame lies with Fidelman for brick wall recording.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2008 04:44:30 BDT
S. Cross says:
I always thought that you had to distort guitars to get that metal sound? No?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2008 20:40:29 BDT
Iommi1 says:
I love the new album, mind you I thought St Anger was a corker their best since And Justice.....

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2008 13:25:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Sep 2008 13:25:32 BDT
J. Morris says:
The sound would be really rather good if it weren't distorted when it rocks out - it (the distortion, not the general mix) doesn't sound good on phones at all. :-(

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2008 18:17:46 BDT
Sera69 says:
I've posted this elsewhere but it does bare repeating...

>>Worth noting that the Guitar Hero III version of Death Magnetic is available from er... certain... ah... unauthorised sites and it sounds, to be blunt, freaking awesome. Astonishingly better than the CD, vinyl, mp3 and ltd. edition releases.

So buy Metallica's best CD in years and then avail yourself of a download of the GHIII version.

Definitely worth the wrath of Lars!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2008 01:33:19 GMT
A. Hosking says:
Thats harmonic distortion.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2008 14:52:43 GMT
J. Milner says:
I too love the songs on this CD but I dare say i'll never play it again. There is no musicality to the sound. It can't breathe. Listen to The Black album and the dynamic range is brilliant. You can turn that one up and really hear everything in the mix. This new one is just a saturated wall of sound. The guy who mixed this should be ashamed - why hide the performances behind a wall of distortion. No talent. The louder you turn this up the worse it sounds. If Metallica think this is what music should sound like they should retire. I, for one, will never buy another Metallica disc ever. And i'm also limiting the amount of new releases I buy because the majority sound rubbish. CDs made in the mid to late 80s can blow modern recordings away quality-wise. With modern technology that ain't right. No wonder people are not buying CDs.

Posted on 10 Feb 2009 14:21:10 GMT
D Carey says:
Metallica have always been panned for the production on thier better albums, however I love the production on And Justice... Master of Puppets, although try as I might I can't get over the snare sound on St Anger. This maybe what sets Metallica out from the rest?? The songs on Death Magnetic are awesome and in 10 years time I think they'll hold up, because they never sound like anyone else! Long may they continue...

Posted on 17 Nov 2009 11:15:32 GMT
Krakhead says:
Anyone who thinks the distorted sound on the cd was purposefully done just has to listen to either the Guitar Hero version or a vinyl copy - no distortion on either of them.

It was a balls up in the mastering process and, because to admit to this would cause HUGE problems for the band/label, they've decided to front it out and pretend they meant it to sound this way.

But where is the distortion on the other versions available? I really like the album, but cannot listen to the cd version. And because I bought the cd I figure it's fine for me to download a copy of the GH mix ;)

Posted on 21 Nov 2009 18:12:27 GMT
Dave says:
NOISE NOISE NOISE.....................such a pity.

The sound in the cd is appalling. I don't care how the band say they wanted it to sound, I just can't beleive a group of professionals went for such terrible distortion. The distortion completely ruins the listening experience. You need to turn it down to try to listen to it, as soon as you turn up the volume any bit you get this terrible noise coming through, the cd is just so NOISY!!!!!!. Great album really really terrible sound!!!

Posted on 15 Sep 2013 23:10:18 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Sep 2013 01:14:36 BDT
Amazonian says:
I strongly recommend that anyone who's interested enough in the album for them to have bothered to post here (or even just read these posts) try to track down a "fixed" version of the album sourced from Guitar Hero.

Since the album was released, I've tried to give it a fair go. I even thought I could sort of see the point in the way the album sounds on CD, even if does annoy me and give me a headache. But once you've heard the tracks with a more conventional (i.e. good!) sound, you'll want to throw the retailed CD version away. "Fixed", the album sounds fantastic!

That's the sadness of the whole thing: I didn't really care how "St Anger" sounded because I thought it was a really poor album in terms of composition and performance, whereas "Death Magnetic" has excellent songs and excellent performances ... it was just painful to listen to (literally).

"Death Magnetic" CAN sound like the excellent album it could have been - in fact, is. Do yourself a favour and find a way to listen to it the way it can sound, and you'll like it ten times as much as you do already.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Death Magnetic forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  12 Sep 2008
Latest post:  15 Sep 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Death Magnetic
Death Magnetic by Metallica (Audio CD - 2008)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (274)