on 5 March 2012
Reading a worthwhile prolepsis on global warming is a slightly chilling prospect, particularly when the outcomes are described so neatly and brought forward from a distant possibly, maybe, into the foreseeable next four years.

A stellar explosion, physically far removed from earth, leads to a chain of events within our own solar system that strips the earth of its atmosphere in more rapid fashion than any contrivance of human beings is achieving at the moment. The story unfolds through the four years in a series of vignettes from around the world. From the astronomers who first make the observations; to the children, scientists and engineers, who embody the future hope of humanity, we see and feel the emotional, political and tangible responses of beings that experience not only personal tragedy but the possible extinction of their species.

I enjoyed reading both the dialogue rich scenes of the characters struggling with a now imminent uncertainty, interspersed with the science scenes of astral happenings and the unfolding effects of a planet being slowly stripped of the atmosphere that gave it life. The science is wholly credible and the characters express beautifully the sadness, joy and hope which lies in the gaps in between those extremes of emotion just as the hope that lies in the distances between the stars.
on 28 May 2015
While this book was not action packed by any stretch of the imagination, the constant moving of the reader through the events of the Earth facing its final destruction, whether through a flaming ball of fire, or slowly cooked to death by a second sun, it was amazing. While there were a lot of characters in this book, only a few took center stage. Among them were Edward and his wife, Jenny. Jenny’s sister Sarah and her little boy, Ben, and Lauren. Lauren was a brilliant astronomer brought in straight out of school to help Edward and his colleagues chart the path of the hydrogen gas cloud.

When I first started reading this book, I’ll admit I was a bit disappointed in the prologue. I personally believed it could have been left off completely and wouldn’t have affected the book in any way. I got into the story as soon as I was past it. Another thing to keep in mind is the author is British, so she obviously uses terms Americans aren’t used to hearing on a normal basis. Of course, if you’re a fan of any kind of British television or authors, it won’t be a problem in the least.

All I know is I was captivated from beginning to end and had to force myself to put the book down when it was time for bed. While many books are apocalyptic these days, Patricia looks at it from a different angle. She looks at it in the light of it beginning to happen and what it could potentially lead to. She does a stellar job and I would highly recommend this book.
on 19 January 2014
I read this novel in a very short time and found it very enjoyable. It has a good scientific base, with characters that blossom and become friends as you progress. I was quite moved near the end of the story, kudos to Patricia Smith for this; it isn't every day I become moved by a sci-fi novel. I instantly searched for a sequel, upon coming to the end, and thankfully I am now reading that too....epic!
I shall also be buying this book in hard copy, something I haven't done since acquiring my kindle; but I want people to see this on my book shelf.
on 30 March 2015
I really enjoyed this story. The science is a bit simplistic but it doesn't detract from the story. The author says in her bio "I strive...to give you a rollercoaster ride of emotions and excitement, mixed in with a good dash of fear" and she does this admirably - I found myself with a lump in my throat on more than one occasion. The X-Ray feature would have been useful to look up some of the characters when I got a bit confused from time to time.
on 3 June 2014
I am not saying I did not enjoy this book because I did and have bought sequel. Slightly irritated by Lauren character who seemingly goes straight from uni to become the worlds greatest astrophysicist in a few years and apparently the only person to be able to look for earth like planets ( ?? SETI Project ) still good storyline.
on 8 January 2012
This was like an apocalyptic science fiction novel!! A good mix of facts and fantasy! It left me wondering what would happen next, a real page turner. Would recommend to any sci fi buff and those thinking of dipping in to Sci Fi!
on 5 August 2014
It's not bad as a book to read, and plausible in a way, better than some, good on the effects of a rogue gas cloud out in the regions of far space. Written by a lady with just enough in it on the emotional effects of all in the storey. Will the follow up be as good?
on 1 March 2015
What a find this writer is I only discovered her by accident but I can't wait for the next book in the distant sun's trilogy the only downside is she doesn't write quick enough read all she's written now!!
on 27 January 2012
I found Distant Suns a stimulating read. The story is about a hydrogen cloud entering the solar system and the consequences that follow (not wanting to give too much away). The descriptive passages (the destruction of Io, the asteroid belt, the Earth and the beauty of the aurora) are detailed and spectacular. Distant Suns takes you on a journey which covers the globe and spans several years. Through various short scenes the lives of the characters begin to unfold as the world around them changes with ever increasing devastation. This story is very easy to read and hard to put down.
on 14 April 2014
I liked this story so much I got the sequel, Distant Suns - The Journey Home, straight away. Great story with good pace and plenty to keep the suspense going. Will be looking for more from this author!