Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 January 2013
I really enjoyed Franks previous books, (Frank Skinner on the Road: Love, Stand-up Comedy and The Queen Of The Night) (Frank Skinner by Frank Skinner) so ordered this one without hesitation. It seems that this book is something that the author just cobbled together. The book is a collection of articles the author wrote for a column in a Sunday newspaper a few years ago. Many of the articles bare no relevance to today's world and are not funny. For me the only reason to buy this book (if your a Skinner fan) is to say you have the set of books.
on 30 October 2011
I am a Frank Skinner fan. He's probably the funniest bloke I've seen on stage. I liked his autobiog which was hilarious. This is well written (he clearly has a gift) but I would expect many people to aim for a Frank Skinner book for the laughs, and they are seldom and few.
on 2 February 2015
I like Frank Skinner as a comedian and his autobiography was one of the best books of its kind. Perhaps this was never likely to hit the same heights, but it was still something of a disappointment. Created mostly from his past newspaper columns, there is a rather disjointed feel and while some are genuinely funny, Skinner can tend towards the shrill when discussing more serious matters. This is particularly the case with his overly-defensive attitude to his religious beliefs (even recycling the tired cliche about councils banning Christmas when even the Daily Mail has now admitted it made the story up) and drinking, where his past problems in this area now seem to make him think no-one else should be trusted around alcohol either. Others fall into the "who cares?" category, with the revelation that he never cleaned his ears a particular lowlight. I'm still a Skinner fan, but this book certainly didn't enhance his standing in my eyes.
on 23 August 2013
This is a collection of columns Frank did for a newspaper and you can tell that the format must have frustrated him. A lot of the time you feel he is desperate to slip a knob gag in, so to speak, but feels that it might undermine the point that he is trying to make. Then, when he tries to write something serious about, say, Shakespeare, as a reader you are thinking "Come on Frank, slip a knob gag in".
The limited amount of words that clearly needed to have been adhered to imposes further constraints. Mind you, when he's off and rambling about his relationship with God you're rather glad of it. The problem is, for me, it's quite difficult to take Frank at his word. Like Jeremy Clarkson, you often find yourself thinking, "That's a really good point, but as it's coming from you, I can't take it seriously." Comedians seem often to be such serious blokes, troubled, deep and meaningful, but they've chosen a career that makes them seem lightweight, frivolous and meaningless. Worse, they know it. But what are they to do? Poke more fun at themselves?
Frank might be pleased, in the end, to read that I think this is perfect toilet reading, as no doubt he's spent many of a reflective hour sitting atop, or clinging on to, the throne. This collection is an easy diversion, best read in short bursts.
on 21 October 2011
Kindle:
I enjoyed what I've read of Frank's other two books and this one was much the same - very well-written, perfectly laid out on the Kindle, with some 'laugh out loud' moments. I've read a lot of samples of other comics' and celebrities' Kindle books, and Frank's works are a cut above.

Hardback:
The majority of this book consists of Frank's columns for the Times around 2009-10 era. They are all well-written, often funny, interesting or thought-provoking.

After these comes a Shakespearean take on Hamlet's Ophelia, which is very well-written, and looks so academic, it's difficult to believe this came from the pen of an oft-rude Brummie comic. Even so, it sits uncomfortably alongside the previous section just because it is so very different, and unlikely to appeal to Frank's main audience.

Lastly, and definitely least, comes the first two chapters of Frank's novel about Thunderman. This is quite long by comparison to the rest and is so painfully unfunny and irritating, that I can't believe he persevered with it beyond a page or two. It seems particularly unwise to end on this, as I had enjoyed this book up to about 80% of the way, but Thunderman left me on a sour note. Trying to remember the best parts of this book which did raise a good few titters, I'd rate this 4/5.
on 4 August 2014
A really easy read - lots to laugh at and lots to provide a unique view on some important (and trivial) stuff in life. I'm a boy (well middle aged man actually) from the West Midlands and so had high expectations and wanted to like it. I wasn't disappointed. The format would be a great help for anyone getting back in to reading after falling out of the habit.
on 25 September 2012
WIthout a doubt one of, if not THE funniest books i have read. I always think that if a book can make you laugh out loud whilst sat in a public place then you are either mental or the book is something special. My psychiatrist says i'm not mental so it must be a great book.
on 25 September 2011
Wit and wisdom, and a fine sense of the absurd, all rolled into one. Frank's a comic A.C. Grayling.

Terrific - on so many levels. (Jeremy Clarkson eat your heart out.)

Mr Skinner for Prime Minister!
on 6 May 2012
Bought this as a birthday present for my Sister.
She loves to read anything by Frank Skinner, so she was "over the moon" with this.
on 23 August 2015
Although I like Frank a lot as a comedian this anthology of articles, mostly from The Times, has Frank outside his comfort zone.