'Discovering Advanced Mathematics' is a series of four books designed to match the new generation of A- and AS-level maths syllabuses and satisfy the requirements of the SCAA Common Core for Mathematics. The books provide unparalleled support for developing modelling and problem-solving skills.
• real opportunities to study advanced mathematics through stimulating and original contexts, questions and modelling tasks
• use of new technology is encouraged throughout – graphics calculators and spreadsheets, for example – but tasks are accessible to students with the most basic of A-level calculators
• accessible to all of your students because of careful introduction of major concepts and language level
'Mechanics' Ted Graham
New contexts, applications and modelling techniques: balancing birds to designing
a cycle track; building a baby's cradle to bungee jumping. mechanics interprets
A-level topics through new contexts, applications and modelling techniques.
"I particularly like the range of modern applications involved in the book…this is a first class mechanics textbook…"
PRINCIPAL LECTURER IN MATHEMATICS, University of Hertfordshire
Ted Graham is a Senior Examiner for the AEB Mechanics. He is a Senior Lecturer at the School of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Plymouth and a member of the Centre for Teaching Mathematics.
• Mechanics and the real world
• Vectors and forces
• Kinematics in one dimension
• Motion and vectors
• Newton's first and second laws
• Variable forces and acceleration
• Momentum and collisions
• Energy, work and power
• Energy and work: variable forces and scalar products
• Circular motion
• Circular motion with variable speed
• Simple harmonic motion
• Dimensions and dimensional analysis
• Moments, couples and equilibrium
• Centre of mass
• Conditions for sliding and toppling
• Differential equations in mechanics
• Relative motion