Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Jul 2008 15:47:24 BDT
Redcountess says:
I'm a bit concerned that Amazon are offering the book at £3 off for pre-orders when the net proceeds are supposed to be going to a children's charity, it seems mean to me. I'd happily pay the full price since it's only £6.99!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2008 16:57:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Jul 2008 16:57:36 BDT
T. Young says:
Remember it's £3.99 plus postage. Adding the postage on brings it just under the RRP. To be honest, I'd rather buy it from a shop, pay the extra 35p and have the bulk go to charity....

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2008 18:28:02 BDT
Paul Gregory says:
Just because the net proceeds are going to charity doesn't mean that all the "extra" money from a more expensive purchase will go to charity. If it's £6.99 in a shop, the shop and distributors will still get their usual share of the price. Amazon sell a lot of books at practically half the RRP, and this is no different. Indeed, the real villains are sellers that *don't* discount it as much as they would a normal book because they want you to think that all the money goes to charity.

If I buy from a bookshop it's because I want to support that bookshop; if I want to support a charity I'll save as much money as I can on the purchase and pay the balance directly - with GiftAid etc this would definitely mean the charity would get more!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2008 18:49:37 BDT
H. Bannister says:
your right its like anything really that has a donation attatched the donation has been made before the customer even touches the book it goes from the retailer when they buy the item.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2008 22:24:31 BDT
I think like most things a fixed amount per book is donated whatever the actual price paid by the customer. Amazon say £20 will be donated from the £50 of the collectors edition so I would guess around £0.70-£1 gets donated from the standard edition.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2008 00:02:20 BDT
M. Young says:
It is £1.61 donated from the standard edition according to Bloomsbury, though it is possible Amazon will donate any money they make (probably not very much) on top of that.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2008 01:18:16 BDT
I. Kershaw says:
there is no way amazon will donate anything they make on top of that, they are a business and would not use up valuable prime promotional space on their site if there was nothing in it for them.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Sep 2008 03:02:36 BDT
False Name says:
Amazon will be paying no more than £2.25 for the book if its retail price is £6.99
I can already get 65% discount off the RRP of new books, and I am a small seller. As long as I order a RRP value of £1430, then I get it.
How much do you think Amazon get?
And they were in the news recently for attempting to get further discount, with the threat to blacklist the publishers that refused.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  31 Jul 2008
Latest post:  2 Sep 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions