on 9 December 2012
I have bought this book to try to push my lazy English boyfriend to learn my language. Unfortunately, he stayed at the "grosse pute" staged.

Globally, it is a good book to discover French slang. However, I sometimes have been really surprised by some phrases suggested in the book. Firstly because it is really French from France (do not expect to see any nuance from any other country from the Francophonie, not even French regional slang) and, secondly, because sometimes there are simply some mistakes. I do not have any example but, if you really want to use some expressions, make sure that they actually exists! :)

Anyway, it is still a funny book with plenty of funny "bite - chatte - cul" and advice to "se bourrer la gueule" with French new mates.
on 7 May 2011
Funny book that will teach you rude expressions in French. Mind you - not all of them are really in use, according to my French boyfriend. Shame that the pronounciation is missing. Otherwise - very educative and entertaining.
on 13 January 2016
Bought alongside 101 French Idioms, and this is good. Loads of lists so I have had to be judicious and pick only the swear words that I want to use and sure of. Good to use with les fonctionaires...like most French do too! The only thing, but not a markdown, is that it hasn't picked up on regionalisation (is there such a word?) of swear words. Some acceptable in the south and certainly not acceptable in the north, and vice versa, but as long as you know that and limit your cursing to what you know to be OK, then it' fine.
on 12 August 2014
This is suitable for people who already started learning French (it doesn't contain keys to pronounciation but still gives literal meanings often). However, a lot of expressions seem outdated, some don't seem to make any sense to my French friends (all in their 20s/30s). The English translations are very American ("thug", "redneck", "jock") and make it evident that the authors are not of the youngest generation and sometimes I don't even know the English words (British native speaker here). Also, as others pointed out, it contains zero references to slang used in places beyond France. I however like how some cultural information is given on topics such as words originating from popular TV shows etc.
on 23 November 2013
Written by Brenda Welch's husband who bought the book.

Two authors, one actually French? and one American. This book is very American and published in America; I suspect for American adolescents with low to middling IQ's and some basic ability to read! So if you only know British English and don't understand what the following mean:- Horndog, Fugly, Butt-hair, TP, Take a dump, Prairie-dogging, Get-my-rocks-off,then you are going to need "Let's speak Dirty American" or some similar work to even comprehend the English part before you get started on the French!

For those who still remember their O'Level French then this book is not without some amusement, even if this reviewer was not advanced enough to spot the bad translations picked up by other reviewers. Having read this book from cover to cover with mixed emotion my conclusions were as follows. Would any mature person really want to use this sort of language, unless they were trying to impress a crowd of younger French teenage children in their school playground? If that is how you want to use your spare time than this is the book for you. Prenez garde that you are not arrested and subsequently given a very bad time by the French police before they deport you!!

For the curious I would recommend The Complete Merde by Genevieve which is written in British English and covers a much broader spectrum of everyday French slang. Within it's pages there is enough F*%# Off with a dash of the 'Va te faire foutre' to satiate the curiosity of any novice.

Dirty French is not a complete waste of money but it is too unnecessarily offensive to be used willingly by any reasonably mature person. For the unreasonable immature it could be positively dangerous especially if a proud parent wanted their child to survive its first school trip to France!

If you are 16+ and would like to live dangerously, try it out in the cafe, street or salon. Only do so if you can run a mile in under 4 minutes or like getting into punch ups where the odds are against you! Such people do exist.
on 23 June 2016
It lives up to its nice. This book is extremely dirty but its given me more than a few laughs and with a coworker that speaks fluent French, there's been some hilarious conversations between the two of us.
on 5 September 2013
I got this book because I know a bit of french and want to learn some slang. I use phrases from this book to my french speaking boyfriend and he finds them hilarious. Recommend to anyone who have close french friends(or partner), not recommended to tourists who want to learn french and talk to french locals.
on 11 March 2014
This book is handy and funny.
However, I can tell you that some of the French idiomatic expressions are a bit obsolete which is a shame.
Used with young French people, it can sound funny sometimes (according to them)
Is described a quite exaggerated and stereotyped French attitude that is funny to read.
Anyway, this is a book that I recommend even if I expected more English expressions than US (my bad).
on 22 August 2011
This little book compiled by an American, is definitely not a primer for beginners! It is fun for those who already have a competence in French. Some phrases, though often giggle-worthy, could not be used without risking a punch in the face - unless you knew people very well indeed. The chapter on food is usable, the one on the seven kinds of fart may not be. Try it and see.
on 2 June 2014
Very funny, a lot of attention to sex related topics. However, after checking with native French speakers, found that many phrases are not that useful and don't make much sense.
Great for beginners, covers different aspects and gives a transcript in English (which i found very useful, given we all know how hard it is - French pronunciation). I do not suggest to use it too often with French people as they can misunderstand you and get very aggressive :)