Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 October 2005
I care not for those who claim this album is flawed. I have every AC/DC release, have seen them live numerous times, and have loved them for close to 20 odd years. I can say without a shadow of a doubt "Dirty Deeds" is my favorite. I don't care that it's purile (if you listen to AC/DC at all this is something you don't need to be too bothered about), I don't care that it's rough (in fact it more that adds to it's charm), I don't care that it's not quite as good as the Aussie version (R.I.P. is criminally absent on this release). This is the best, bar non, AC/DC album to date. The title track alone is worth the purchase price.
on 31 May 2002
This is one of the "real" (as in Bon Scott) AC/DC's best. The price is justified alone for the wonderful blues of Ride On, surely the band's finest musical moment. Big Balls and Ain't No Fun just add to the pleasure of a great Rock'n'Roll experience; just a shame that they were never the same after Bon Scott left us. By the way why doesn't "Crabsody in Blue" appear on the CD versions of "Let There Be Rock"?
on 8 August 2014
Listen to the opening riff to Dirty Deeds alone before the vocal comes in; most guitar players would find it pretty simple to play. But forget the technique and just listen to the sound - to my ears it immediately says 'threat, menace, testosterone'. It doesn't need any words to make its message clear. The simplicity of the riff grabs its theme instantly - and frankly no jazz guitar player, for example, could create it.

And that is the difference between the very best riff merchants like AC/DC and the millions of also rans who would die to get anything near theirs (think Crue, Ratt, Twisted etc.,).

Bon Scott is one of those unique rock singers (like Freddie, Ozzy, and Morrison) who seems to be able to embody the songs. You feel as if he is singing to you directly from within his world. Always conflating sex with love (Love at first feel) he basks in his sexual potency and revels in demoniacal desire ('I lead a life of crime...'). Bon's world view is one in which everybody is corrupt, especially those offering love, frequently presenting himself as a gleeful sinner ('for a fee, I'm happy to be, your back door man').

Of course these points cover the entire Bon Scott era and Dirty Deeds is simply another essential classic among many.

While Angus is the star guitar player and Phil, Mark and Malcolm deliver the killer backing, Bon is my real idol in AC/DC. As a kid he was like a big brother and with lyrics like those in Ain't No Fun (waiting 'round to be a millionaire) he really identifies with you.

Songs like Dirty Deeds and the finger licking Squealer just ooze dirty sleaze. There's Gonna Some Rocking is delivered with such menacing cool and Problem Child has a riff that hardly seems to get going yet ends up pretty much shaking your entire house down into rubble - play that loud and your neighbours will want to move house double quick.

And I have to say this; ALL the Bon Scott era albums are ESSENTIAL. If you're an AC/DC fan then you simply must have them.

IMO AC/DC are the Greatest Rock'n'Roll band of all time - and Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap is about as dirty as you can get.
on 21 October 2009
My favourite album of the early Bon Scott ACDC years.

I started to type which tracks were the stand outs but theres not a weak track on this album.
Favourites are Love at first feel, Ride on and Aint no fun...

A must for any ACDC fans collection
on 26 July 2003
Well, I've always considered DC to be the best rock band ever. I have had a number of albums, and enjoyed them live but for some reason I missed this album.
BUY IT.
Ok it is 'raw' - none of the clean produced Back in Black (still one of my favourites) but it is fantastic.
Dry, powerful and oozing quality - Bon at his best - as good as his fantastic Highway to Hell.
The band play in an 'older' rock and roll style but the DC drive is there. Angus may not shine through as he does later but that lets the tracks be balanced.
Above all, this just shows what a quality act AC-DC is and is a fitting tribute to Bon Scott - I hope he is down there, beer in one hand, women in another with this playing at full blast in the background.
I am not worthy...
VINE VOICEon 8 July 2014
This is a decent album by AC/DC, the second to receive an international release- though not in the states, more on that later - but it is also, in my opinion, the weakest Album featuring Bon Scott.

The reason this album is so well know, disproportionately so against others in the catalogue, is that the label initially refused to release this album in the USA. They only did so as a cash in after BIB became such a monster hit, as a result it was snapped up by fans wanting more. This has led to this album being more revered than many of their better records.

Now, all this said, it is absolutely not a bad album. There are some cracking tracks on this and I do think anyone who has a decent interest in AC/DC need to snap this one up, but not as one of the first purchases.

Track by track:

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - Rightly considered a classic. Dark, catchy, dangerous and tongue-in-cheek. (10)

Love at First Feel - Solidly okay track, Stripped down bluesy rock (7)

Big Balls - Your reaction to this song depends n your own viewpoint. If you can just let yourself go with the single-entendre nonsense and campery, it's a good chuckle of a track. If not, its base humour at its worst. I should hate it, but I don't. (7)

Rocker - It does what it says on the tin. A rock n' roll song about being a rocker. Dumb, fun and a good 'un. (8)

Problem Child - About as close to social commentary as AC/DC ever got - thankfully! Bon Scott has a great time on this, warning people to stay away cause he's so dangerous. (7)

There's Gonna Be Some Rockin' - More Status Quo than AC/DC in my opinion. It's fine but unspectacular. (6)

Ain't No Fun (Waiting Round To Be A Millionaire) - A great 3 minute rocker, dragged out for twice as long. Becoming deathly dull in the process (5)

Ride On - I like this track, I really do. I don't think Bon Scott sounds genuinely 'Lonely' at all but, heck, I'll go with it. A slow, proper bluesy number. (9)

Squealer - Decent riff but a weaker track that I seem to instantly forget straight after hearing it. (5)

A fine album, worth getting.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 November 2013
'DDDDC' must rate as one of AC/DC's most fun efforts. Lyrically the band rarely veers away from comic book references to casual sex/ violence or extolling the virtues of Rock and Roll. Yet Bon brings just enough humour into the proceedings to let you know that for the most part, his tongue is firmly wedged in his irreverent cheek. Musically, no ground is broken. Yet the genius of this band lies in its simplicity. How is it possible the group play the same three chord rock as lots of other bands, but somehow sound only like themselves? The truth is that AC DC at least in the Bonn Scott era could write and perform lean, melodic, driving rock songs that had just enough of a chorus to stay in the memory. Throw in a powerhouse rhythm section and a distinctive guitarist in Angus Young to bolster up the inspired song craft and you have a potent musical force. The major appeal of the group though has to be Bon Scott. Bon Scott is the focal point of the band: swaggering but also surprisingly vulnerable, he was far from the typical hard rock front man. He had charm as well as menace, a beguiling if not terribly stable combination of qualities. As a lyricist, he could be amusing, puerile and an airhead, but always entertaining and always convincing.

'DDDDC' is a very entertaining hard rock-pop album. I love the title track and 'Ain't no Fun..' a song describing the tribulations of being a rock star in waiting. This album is enjoyable from first to last and can be recommended for those of us who like rock music that doesn't take itself too seriously.
on 7 February 2013
As a student in the early 1980s, I had one or two inconsiderate neighbours. In one accommodation block, I had to put up with all kinds of dreadful music coming through the walls. These guys would be out on the drink and return well after closing time and play stuff really loud. One of their favourites was this album. They would play the second side first - my heart sank every time I heard the opening of "There's going to be some rockin'", with Bon Scott's depraved squeal over the lurching roar of the guitars.

Well, strange things happen over time. Over thirty years on and with my hair silver, I really love this album. It sounds live. It's heavy and full-on; it's malevolent; it is also very very funny, especially with Bon's wonderful timing and vocal inflection. And there are some great lines too ("Get your f***** Jumbo Jet out of my airport!"; "Got myself a one-way ticket/Going the wrong way"; "The following is a true story/Only the names have been changed/To protect the Guilty!").

The heart of this album is depraved, overdriven blues rather than "heavy metal". As well as stomping, churning and burning, this can occasionally be quite beautiful. I have always liked "Ride On" - as someone once pointed out somewhere, this is exceptional amongst AC/DC's output in that the singer is reflecting on the consequences of his actions.

May I also say that, as a guitarist, I am awestruck at the Young brothers' skill and dexterity. These riffs may sound simple (possibly even a bit retarded to some ears) but I can tell you they are not. Often they play the same A or D chord together, but with different voicings. The overall combined chords they create between them in this way can be massive. Two guitarists have got to be very good to get effects like this playing together.

This is not AC/DC's ultimate album - for me, that's Powerage. But it still represents sublime value. Go on, hear it - you know you want to!
on 16 October 2008
I first heard this album back in the summer of 1982 and it sounds as good now as it did then. I was already familiar with For Those About to Rock (We Salute You) and I'd heard bits of Highway to Hell and Back in Black but this was what converted me. The songs on this album are infantile, puerile, barely adolescent... and absolutely brilliant.

From the crash-bang-thump intro to the swaggering title track to the fade out at the end of the distinctly sleazy and tasteless Squealer this is pure, unbridled rock'n'roll joy. The album is full to the brim with classic tracks: the sleazy Love at First Feel, the behind-the-bike-shed single-entendre-laden Big Balls, Rocker and Problem Child ("...and my mother hates me!") coming on like Chuck Berry's lovechild being sectioned... and, out of nowhere, probably AC/DC's most introspective track ever, the heavenly blues of Ride On. Production, courtesy of former Easybeats Harry Vanda and George Young (Ang and Mal's big brother) is simple and direct: everything clearly audible, no bells and whistles and nothing out of place.

To be honest, if you're not overly familiar with Bon era AC/DC you should probably come at this one having checked out Powerage or Let There Be Rock first, but that doesn't stop it being a five-star album. Brilliant.
on 30 October 2015
Definitely in the top 5 of AC/DC's best albums. Bon Scott's lyrics are on top form. In the song 'Big Balls' he sings about the kind of balls posh people gather at (think Cinderella), however, it sounds as though he's singing about something else, entirely - very witty.The whole album is great from start to finish and, for me, has a great summer vibe about it (apart from the bluesy 'Ride On'). The album sleeve reflects the music - palm trees, sun, a motel, some shady characters with their eyes blacked over - a sense of good fun and a saucy sense of humour, typical AC/DC, really.
The album went unreleased in America because the band's own record label, 'Atlantic Records', found the content a bit too corruptible and put it to one side.The very thought that AC/DC would corrupt the youth of America...
It was eventually released in America in 1981. This was because AC/DC had just scored a no. 1 album over there with 'For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)'. There was also the fact that both 'Highway To Hell' (1979) And 'Back In Black' (1980) had been hugely popular and the record company thought it was time to unleash it.
When released, 'Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap' reached no. 3 on the American album chart. It is the third best-selling AC/DC disc to date - behind 'Highway To Hell' and 'Back In Black'.