Format: Hardcover|Change

on 12 August 2011
A fantastic book for the beginner photographer.
Tom Ang has a wonderful way of explaining quite complex subjects in a simple yet meaningful way - the mark of a natural teacher.
I have read a large portion of this book (have not yet got through the image editing chapters), and at no point in time have I found it a tough read.
Most importantly, it covers a very wide range of photography topics and techniques, and although this book is perfect for a beginner, it is by no means lacking in advanced content.
Highly recommended.
on 5 December 2012
I spotted this at about £7.99 as a special in WHSmiths recently and grabbed it having had a quick flick through. It is simply superb and I am so glad I jumped at it. Easily worth the full price in any case. The author as someone else said is a natural teacher. There are a couple of things I had never really had explained well before and his thoughtful descriptions just made them clear. I was reading it in parallel with Lee Frost's Pictures That Sell (which is also good if you ignore the dated use of film but the photography concepts setting up etc is the same). But Frost's is finished and I can't put this book down. I flicked ahead for this review and am now looking forward to reading about making a first movie and digital manipulation and much more. A great book unless you are already a pro...but even then if you are a natural history pro for example who wants to try architectural or interiors then you might just learn something! I love this book.
on 21 August 2011
I bought this book for my partner who has just retired. For his retirement gift, his colleagues bought him a digital camera. I thought it might inspire him to use it to its best abilities if I bought him an up to date book on digital photography. This is the one I chose and we are both delighted with it.

The book is written in such a way that even novices can understand and follow it. Love it and highly recommend it.

Stella Jones
on 15 June 2011
First let me say how pleased I am with the delivery of this book. I selected free Super Saver delivery after ordering it on Saturdsy evening. The book was sent out on Sunday and Royal Mail had it delivered to me by 7.30am on Wednesday, before I set out for work - (our usual post delivery is at 11.00am!) I was expecting Thursday at the earliest. Thank you both Amazon and Royal Mail.

I took the heavy book with me to work and started reading it on the bus and at lunch time. I also flicked through to inspect the layout and the subjects - it seems to be very thorough with advice on hardware and software, step by step instructions beginning with the basics, a section at the end with many web addresses, ideas for extra reading on the internet through a "Go Google" section at the end of tutorials and many, many pictorial examples. There is even a whole section on taking video with your digital camera.

Mr Ang is not an equipment snob and this book is written for users of all types of camera - mobile phone, compact and DSLR... which is good because I have a hybrid compact, a compact that fits in my jacket pocket and goes nearly everywhere with me and a half decent mobile camera - but no DSLR yet.

If you know Tom Ang's other books published with DK then you will be familiar with the format and they form a neat set on your bookshelves - I already had Digital Photography Masterclass (which I have read and followed) and The Complete Photographer (which I haven't - I got it cheap through a book club at work a couple of weeks ago). I like Mr Ang's style and would readily recommend his books to anyone, beginner or more advanced.

[When I have completed the book I will post an edited review.]
on 22 August 2012
I bought this book a few weeks back and love its simplicity.....very clear and precise...the jargon is explained and helps you to feel more confident when you are out and about with your camera......
on 19 March 2013
Husband received this as a Christmas present.

He is a beginner and finds this very easy to follow. It enables him to use his camera to its full potential
on 4 July 2011
I have had other material by this author and like them I find this book to be broken down to managable step. It is clearly written and I am at this moment in time still reading through it. What I have picked to look at ( as this is easy to do because of the way it is presented) has made good reading and I continue to pick up very useful, and practical information.
on 1 November 2011
Like many of the books that Tom Ang wrote, this is another great book for the beginner photographer. It's even better than "How to Photograph absolutely everything" which had less depth and contained some controversial advice. It touches upon all main concepts of photography and might therefore direct you to more detailed literature on specific subjects. The quick fix chapters will tell you how to solve problems that you might experience as beginning photographer. The two parts that are particularly outstanding are the "Mastering photo subjects" chapter which discusses techniques for various subjects and the "Commanding photo-technique" chapter that discusses basic photographic concepts like composition, exposure, lighting, etc.
The photo editing section is less impressive although it shows quite nicely what some techniques do when trying different settings - personally I do prefer books that explain a bit better what the different controls do, but it's quite refreshing to just see examples of what would happen if you changed a certain setting, even when it just shows that your image will get much worse! The video-editing chapter might be good for video-enthusiasts, but as a photographer I didn't really see the point.
on 29 August 2013
This is a fantastic book for anyone interested in digital photography. It offers advice on different devices for taking digital photographs, from smartphones to digital SLR cameras. There's information on composition of photographs, how to crop them to improve the final image, digital photography software, projects and plenty of stunning photographs. If you only buy one book on the subject, then I would recommend this one.
on 26 November 2012
Gives excellent advice to a photographer who understans the basics, and step by step helps one to become more proficient.