on 29 January 2013
I stumbled across this book and bought it on impulse. It's been well worth the money and time. Knowing nothing about archaeology was no obstacle as the writers fully explained what they did and why. I was surprised at how much below ground was preserved, equally how some things had deteriorated. Once I had entertained thoughts of browsing the surface of some of the old battlefields to see what might be laying about. Such ideas have now completely left me - I will cheerfully leave such investigations to the experts.
on 25 May 2013
Was very informative brought to life what my great uncles and grandfather went through wish I had read it before I visited Flanders. Found the breaking of myths long head a revelation . Brought to light the answers to many questions. A good book for those who want to know more than just the name on the headstone .
on 26 August 2013
I love archaeology and I have a passion for the First World War so this book was the perfect choice for me. Since it arrived I have had my nose stuck firmly into it. I find it well written and well researched. For anyone interested in these subjects this book is a must for your collection
on 8 November 2015
I bought this book on a whim... and I am so glad that I did. An excellent example of battlefield archaeology brought to life for the lay reader. Well illustrated and clearly written, I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the stories told by the material remains to be found on the Western Front.
on 4 December 2009
An excellent book on excavations of 1st World War battle-zones at 'Plugstreet', Belgium. Anyone interested in the multidisciplinary approach of modern conflict archaeology should buy it!
on 28 January 2015