on 4 September 2014
Matt Stone's work makes intuitive and logical sense. No doubt I damaged my own metabolism through some 20 years of on-off dieting - I've done everything from raw vegan to paleo to IF and VLCDs. Weight comes off, and always goes back on. Over the years, the losses become harder, and gains become easier. I picked up this book twice. The first time I only got a few chapters in, as I did not want to be told what I needed was a "High Everything Diet" - I would instantly become a whale, I was sure. Some months later I stumbled upon multiple solid pieces of research showing that dieting is actually predictive of weight gain, so I swore off dieting forever. That's when I picked up the book a second time, and read it through.

My guess is that not everyone will like Matt's style. He's informal and pulls no punches in trashing every diet system out there. As a bit of a paleo enthusiast, I found that a little difficult to swallow at first. If you're precious about a particular diet or way of eating, bear with him, as he's got some important and impactful stuff to say. Also, I would have liked to see less anecdotal examples of success, and some wider studies done to test out his work. With those caveats, I can share my own experience, which has been... unexpected.

Within the first week of following the advice in this book, my body temperature rose from about 95/96 degrees F, to 99. My hands and feet are warm for the first time I can remember. Within 2 weeks I'd shed all my water retention, and I'm at a loss how that happened, as my experience has always been low carb = low water, high carb = cankles. Perhaps the oddest effect is that after 5 days of "aggressive re-feeding" as he calls it, I lost all interest in eating, and it became an effort. I have had 20 long years battling appetite and cravings, and they're just... gone. I'm literally eating what I want, when I want, and how much I want - if a craving shows up, I don't resist it. They're showing up less and less. The strangest thing is now I have given myself permission to, I don't want to overeat (even though I'm trying) and I just don't fancy eating crap food (so I'm not). The underlying feeling is that without self-imposed rules, I can hear my body telling me what it wants.

So now I'm at the end of week 3, and I've dropped a dress size (I don't know how much weight I've lost, as he tells you to throw away the scale, so I have). That's remarkable, given I'm definitely eating about 50% more in terms of calories than I would normally do when I'm 'watching my weight', and I'm eating high carb, high protein, high fat. I hadn't expected to lose weight (in fact I thought I would gain a good 10lbs) so that has been a pleasant surprise. Warmth and weight loss aside, the biggest gift this book has given me is freedom from worrying about food or feeling like I'm at war with my body. Turns out my body was always on my side, I just had to get out of my own way.

So it's early days, but I'll update in a few months to report on whether I've lost any more weight or have any other effects from my Diet Recovery. It's surpassed expectations so far. Without a doubt, I'll never diet again. Thank you Matt Stone.
on 16 December 2013
This book gives excellent insight into why dieting can be so damaging for health. However, it goes further than this by explaining how to increase your metabolism to enable your body to function properly again, and probably lead to weight loss.

I always thought I was quite healthy until about a year ago I increased my exercise quite substantially to train for a cycling event. I have never caught so many colds and been so under the weather as during this time. Now I understand why.

Read this book, and the way you think of food and diets will be turned on its head. Your health will most likely improve too.
on 29 October 2014
As a reformed dieter myself, who has probably done about as much reading and research as Stone in the area (let's be honest, what ex-dieter hasn't?) I found Stone's arguments make a lot of sense. For me, diet recovery boiled down to these simple 'rules':
1) Eat and drink what you want - not what you think you should want, or what you think is good for you.
2) Eat when you're hungry - not because it's time to eat, or because you're bored/upset or whatever else.
3) Stop eating when you're no longer hungry - although Stone would encourage you to take a few extra bites to reassure your metabolism there's food in abundance.
4) Drink when you're thirsty - learn the difference between thirst and hunger, stay hydrated, but don't try to chug down pints of water because someone else says you should.
For Stone, it's all about metabolism, and raising your core temperature. Although he does a good job of debunking the reasoning behind restrictive diets, he does tend to demonize Omega6, which I find a little counterproductive. Still, if you have to have something to focus on and cut out, I guess it's as good a target as any.
Some readers may be offended by Stone's writing style, which includes the odd obscenity and crude humour, but if you take his advice to chill out, read his pitch and then come to your own conclusions, you should find it a worthwhile read.
on 6 November 2014
I've been learning a lot this past few months and researching all sorts of information in order to find a treatment for my underactive thyroid which isn't working optimally, I kept being told I was over medicated and had been for years, so I searched for a more natural method and am currently working on finding a way to reduce and possibly stop my thyroid meds (with help and support from GP and naturopath). I found that my basal temp was low so I googled how to raise it and stumbled upon this book (kindle) and the more I read the more it made sense to me, all of it! I am about to embark on his method as I'm sure my body is lacking (I currently breastfeed too) so I'm now looking forward to being nice to my body and feeding it properly :) x
on 30 January 2014
If you have been low carb or low calorie for any length of time you have probably messed up your metabolism. Matts take on restoring metabolism makes a lot of sense. I have increased my body temp by almost a degree by using his ideas and feel much better for it.
on 20 January 2014
A very personal approach and probably most useful for anyone who has been a really extreme dieter and needs to get out of the diet trap, just to break the cycle. Written in a very modern, jocular style that can grate a little. Probably worth a read, but don't take it all to hear.
on 28 February 2014
EVERYONE on a diet, concerned with their weight or nutrition should read this book.Matt Stone really knows his stuff and will certainly make you think
on 4 April 2014
I have only just finished reading the book so I have yet to implement any of the recommendations. However, I have a background in nutrition and I completely agree with the fact that there are so many different schools of thought on nutrition, and this has always been an issue for me. As a teenager I followed the no-fat/low-fat diets and anything else that came my way and this went on throughout my life. Despite my eventual background in nutrition and all the knowledge, I have never really succeeded in reaching optimal health or even close. I think this book is refreshing and I have heard these concepts being tossed around, especially lately. Also, the food manufacturing propaganda I can well believe (you only have to look at GMO and Mosanto, not forgetting to mention the pharmaceutical conspiracy!) I think this guy is worth listening to. I think he's genuine and I like that he speaks his mind. He puts a lot of effort into his work and gives a lot of it away for free. He believes in serving others without personal gain. I think this is clear in the way he works. Let’s see where it goes.
on 2 June 2015
Useful in thinking past the dieting culture but the author has just linked some other current ideas. He is not really as expert as he claims and his advice may be misleading. Language sometimes is unnecessarily vulgar.
on 21 October 2015
Everyone would benefit from reading this book. So much of it flies in the face of what we have come to accept as conventional wisdom. Matt is clear - a little too clear sometimes - and easy to understand. However, often his ideas are a little half baked, so with you want something with a load of references and all the thorough research displayed, this isn't for you. He has a very distinct style and voice, which I doubt will suit everyone, but still if you've struggled with weight, dieting, eating disorders etc then this would be a great book to look up.