Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 September 2003
I was amazed by this book but for all the wrong reasons.
David Nobbs is, in my opinion, one of the finest comic novelist this country has ever produced. Actually strike that - he's one of the finest novelists, full-stop. I urge everyone to read him.
But in writing about himself he seems to have come up short.
Unlike his fictional creations which seem to pull themselves up from the page the real people of his autobiography remain stubbornly 2-dimensional. Only in his honest appraisal of the end of his first marriage and the 'courtship' of his second wife did I really feel that I was seeing the real man. The discussion of the breakdown of his friendship with Peter Tinniswood was particularly thin. There must have been so much behind this story but Mr Nobbs was not prepared to tell us about it. Which is fair enough but not if you're going to write a book about it and charge people for the privelege of reading it.
Please, please read David Nobbs but don't start with this - it's just not as good as the books.
on 22 August 2015
An interesting story that went on too long. Mr Nobbs glosses over difficult subjects and then details and details irrelevant shows. He tells how much he loves his family and then abandons his wife for a new model, never quite admitting his responsibilities. I suspect if he examined himself as a third party he would be disappointed?
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 September 2015
His novels are far better than this introspective. I was keen to read it but ploughed through: bored by large chunks of repetitive and bland script. He skated over the meaty stuff or where one might expect and hope for more detail and chapters ended suddenly as if he couldn't be bothered to say anymore. Neither can I. Can't recommend.
on 22 October 2015
I enjoyed glimpsing something of Nobb's life as a writer. It was an honest and at times, poignant account of life from school to the the army to the BBC. I came away understanding the psyche that created the classic and extraordinary Reginald Perrin.
on 14 October 2015
I really enjoyed this book-it gives you an insight into the workings of a scriptwriter. There are also a lot of interesting facts to glean along the way, but you will have to read the book yourself to find out what they are. RIP Mr Nobbs.
on 3 March 2013
Fantastic, read from cover to, cover! A story, of highs and, lows.this book will make you laugh and,, cry, it's, at time s, very, funny, and, thoughtful.
on 8 February 2013
This little known author is responsible for some of the best comedy writing for TV and his autobiography is well worth a read
on 4 September 2015
A 30-year insider's view of British television. Mildly amusing.
VINE VOICEon 13 August 2003
I bought this book, then left it on the side for three months, while I read other things. A great pity, having lot long returned from holiday I realise that this book would have been a far better, easier read than the books I actually took.
Still, I've read the book now, having not really read any of the author's other works except for RIP. (This is something I now intend to do something about, by the way.)
Even for what I guess would be termed a "non-comedy" book, David Nobbs - obviously with years of experience - manages to reminiscence with a very humorous style.
I liked it - I'll read some more of this guy's novels, and look out for his TV work.
on 11 January 2016
A good insight into Britains funniest writer