Are jihadists dying for a fiction? Everything you thought you knew about Islam is about to change.
In Did Muhammad Exist? best-selling author Robert Spencer meticulously examines historical records, archaeological findings, and pioneering new scholarship to reconstruct what can be known about Muhammad, the Quran, and the early days of Islam. He uncovers evidence that calls into question fundamental assumptions made even by non-Muslims.
- Did Muhammad Exist? reveals:
- The earliest biographical material about Muhammad dates from 150 years after the traditional date of his death.
- Neither the Arab conquerors of the seventh century nor the people they conquered made any mention of Muhammad, the Quran, or Islam for fully six decades.
- Recent scholarship indicating that the Quran was constructed from existing materialsincluding a pre-Islamic Christian text.
- Numerous archaeological indications that Islam as a religion was fashioned for political reasons.
Far from an anti-Islamic polemic, Did Muhammad Exist? is a sober and unflinching look at the origins of one of the worlds major religions. While Judaism and Christianity have been subjected to searching historical criticism for more than two centuries, Islam has, astonishingly, never received the same treatment on any significant scale. In bringing to light the latest scholarship on Muhammad and Islam, Robert Spencer raises questions of global consequence.