Have one to sell?
Flip to back Flip to front
Listen Playing... Paused   You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition.
Learn more
See this image

Dictionary of 1000 Russian Proverbs (Hippocrene Bilingual Proverbs) Paperback – 1 Jan 1998


See all formats and editions Hide other formats and editions
Amazon Price New from Used from
Paperback
"Please retry"
£88.99 £3.67


Free One-Day Delivery for six months with Amazon Student


Product details

  • Paperback: 130 pages
  • Publisher: Hippocrene Books Inc.,U.S. (1 Jan 1998)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0781805643
  • ISBN-13: 978-0781805643
  • Product Dimensions: 12.5 x 1.2 x 20.5 cm
  • Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars  See all reviews (1 customer review)
  • Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 3,216,603 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)

More About the Author

Discover books, learn about writers, and more.

Product Description

Synopsis

This collection of the most commonly used and understood proverbs is designed for a broad readership comprised of students of both language and culture. An approximate or literal translation is provided.

Customer Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars
5 star
1
4 star
0
3 star
0
2 star
0
1 star
0
See the customer review
Share your thoughts with other customers

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

Format: Paperback Verified Purchase
A sensible choice of well-known and popular Russian proverbs, distilled from larger editions. Proverbs in Russian, with literal translations and English equivalents. Handy.
Comment Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback. If this review is inappropriate, please let us know.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again

Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)

Amazon.com: 1 review
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
Practically useless 28 Oct 2013
By Kenneth G. Ira - Published on Amazon.com
Format: Paperback Verified Purchase
For the average student of Russian, this book is worthless. The translations, if you can call them that, consist mainly of old or obscure (or old AND obscure) English proverbs, most of which only an English folklorist would be able to decode. There aren't even any explanatory definitions, such as "used to express annoyance" or "said when discouraging excessive curiosity". If you want colloquial, lively translations that convey the flavor of the original idioms -- well, forget about it. Don't buy this book, especially at the prices it's listed for here.

Since you shouldn't buy this book from Hippocrene's, what should you buy? The best reference work for Russian idioms is the Random House Dictionary of Russian Idioms by Sofia Lubensky. Its good points: 1) it gives explanatory definitions for every idiom; 2) it gives usable translations about 90% of the time, and even in the other 10% of cases you have the explanatory definition to help you come up with a translation of your own; 3) it has an excellent index. Its bad points: 1) the new edition (coming out in 2014) will cost $75, and used copies cost even more; 2) even with 14,000 entries, it's still too short. Despite that impressive number, most of the proverbs in this Hippocrene Proverbs volume aren't anywhere to be found in Lubensky, because the latter doesn't specifically focus on proverbs.

But back to 1000 Russian Proverbs. It's only really useful as a list of the thousand most common Russian proverbs, with or without translations, as chosen by one, surely subjective individual. For some purposes, for some people, that might be useful. Thus the second star in my review.
Was this review helpful? Let us know


Feedback