on 27 January 2005
I bought this book using money I had recieved on my 21st birthday, I did not buy it because I needed it for a course of anything like that, I bought it just out of interest. I must say I do not regret buying this book one bit, as it is just so interesting.
The names of Saints are something which I frequently encounter in day to day live and until I purchased that book is something I did not give much thought to. The book opened my eyes to how interesting the topic of Saints is and a greater insight into their significance in the modern world. Overall this is an excellent book to own and I would recommend it to anybody who is interested in religion, history, or to anybody who is simply curious about the signifiance of saints.
22 comments54 of 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 December 2008
I purchased this volume alongside that of Popes and Christian Art. None have failed to delight.

This particular book is alphabetical, and takes care to avoid confusion over local/ancient spellings of names. Each article is well reasearched, and the bibliography is listed at the end of each, allowing the reader the immediate opportunity to pop back on Amazon and purchase the next volume (guilty as charged!). Obviously, given the vast number of saints, the book focuses on those who are 'more important', and British saints. The Appendices are well ordered - saints by town, patron, feast day etc, and there are some maps for those who crave pictures in books.
on 31 July 2000
I borrowed this book and was fascinated by the excellence and depth of the descriptions. It is also a good read - an unbeatable combination! (which is why I am ordering this title)
0Comment44 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 February 2010
500 saints really are not enough, but the book makes up for it with extras such as maps of pilgrimage routes & folklore research (the latter being rare indeed in more faithfull hagiologies), plus theres the Brit focus. Very usefull indeed alongside a comprehensive but less daring work such as the Benedictine "Book of Saints".
on 31 May 2011
A very interesting read, it gives the story behind some of the more famous saint's names
Very readable and suitable for a lay as well as for a religious readership.
Of course given the sheer number of saints the number chosen is selective.

Informative and fascinating
Recommended
on 1 November 2011
While this book is not as comprehensive as a previous book I owned on the subject, it is an excellent guide to saints and the concept of sainthood and even contains details of saints I had both never heard of and was surprised at their inclusion, vis Alexander Borgia. It is a fabulous book, rich in detail and as such is both faith strengthening and faith afirming.
on 29 October 2015
no doubt this book is very well researched and full of useful information, but to my mind it lacks something-humour. I was a bit disappointed not to find more of the humorous aspects of the lives of the saints.
on 9 September 2015
This updated version is just what I wanted and covers nearly all of the Saints on the current calendar.
It might be helpful to add the Old Testament patriarchs, space permitting
on 11 February 2011
A lovely work, and charmingly, ah... 'restrained', consideration for the more mythical Saints. I would say more depth in many entries than one might expect of a simple dictionary, and the richer for it.

A note on where it is limited: This is pretty comprehensive in as far as it covers English Saints. The well known 'classic ' saints are there too, but do not expect a comprehensive papal world-compendium. I'm glad to have it in my refernce shelves.
on 12 August 2013
I bought this along with the Penguin book of saints. Its always helpful to have two or more opinions about people who lived some time ago- and very interesting !!