on 5 May 2011
I'm an avid reader, and I'm always on the lookout for what I call THE GOOD STORY; something engaging, creative and original. I was sitting in a waiting room somewhere with just my phone when I found Episode 1 of this book on feedbooks. I read it, and was instantly hooked. I found it when Episodes 1-7 were available, and have spent the past months eagerly (and impatiently!) waiting each new installment. Now that it is available in one volume, I've already purchased it. It was so good that, even after reading it for free, I'm intentionally paying for now, just to say thank you to Glynn James for giving me so many months of anticipation and enjoyment.
James Hallden is a rather dull salesman who stops off to use the bathroom at a service station and subsequently wakes up in another place entirely.

This other place is dark and decrepit, full of decaying piles of useless junk, abandoned vehicles and derelict houses. Befriended by a wolf-like animal he names DogThing, James sets off to explore the strange world in which he find himself in order to try and find his way home. On the way he discovers things are really not quite as they seem, and they seem very strange indeed!

This is a really rather good urban fantasy that caught my imagination from the very beginning. The dark and dismal other world is very nicely realised, the story moves along at a decent pace and the ending although clearly ending this chapter of the story make it clear that this is part of a series.

This is a full length novel that took me a couple of evenings to read. Kindle presentation is OK with the story being broken up into a diary entry for each of the days James spends there. There were the odd typographical errors and occasionally it seemed to me that completely the wrong word used, but this was not often enough to distract from the story.

Overall: 5 stars - A really unusual and enjoyable book! I just looked to see if there is anything else by the same author and found Chasing Spirits which I am more than happy to pay for, so that will be my next Kindle download as I really did enjoy this story.
on 23 July 2011
Every once in a while I stumble across a book that is so unique and pure, that I cannot believe no one has heard of it.

Glynn James paints a strange and vivid world for James Halldon, but it's not James' world. James wakes up in a strange and dark land full of dangerous creatures, but with no memory of how he has arrived there. He takes it upon himself to keep track of his exploration of this new place, and his instincts of survival. Through his journey he finds that everything is not what it seems.

This book is strange and unusual, but I feel as though I broke out of a rut of the same old thing.
on 24 July 2012
I was a bit unsure of the book when I started reading and did as a number of other reviewers did, namely checked the book reviews to make sure that I wasn't wasting my time. I am so glad I did rean on because this book is a gem! I'm about 60% of the way through the book and felt the overwhelming need to rate the book and purchase the next ebook in the series. I highly recommend this book.

I have to force myself to put the kindle down and do something else :)

The story reminds me a bit of Robinson Crusoe, although our hero is stuck not on a desert island, obviously, but in another world/place/dimension (I haven't figured it out yet) and is trying to find his way back to his own time/place. I feel for James and the ghost hermit and am at this moment willing James to find his way back to our reality. I don't think anyone who loves a good adventure/mystery/strange world story will be disappointed!
on 15 July 2011
Very difficult to describe what this novel is really about. It is about friendship and ability of human to survive in the world of nightmares and darkness. Written in very specific way, it is difficult to put this book down. I was under impression, that this author could turn a shopping list into a gripping story. Worth giving a try if you are looking for something unusual and displaced.
on 7 July 2011
I'm concerned about the mental state of the author, to dream up such a world for the story it's like nowhere you have read about before. The author does not explain everything, the story is not one of them nice neatly packaged stories it's a roller coaster ride and cliff hangers with some great surprises. Its got suspense, its got laughs, its got mystery its got you not wanting to put the book down till you get to the end if only to find out what happens. This is not going to win any prizes for literature but for a great story and one I think teenagers would love to read. Just tell them it has zombies, big dog like creatures that rip people apart and ghosts.

I do hope there is a second book I so want to learn more about this world.
on 4 March 2012
`Diary of the Displaced', by Glynn James, is a story told through the journal entries of James Halldon who wakes up in a dark world and has no re-collection of where he is or who he is. His first few days are spent regaining his senses, recovering from aches and pains that have unknown causes and trying to find the means to stay alive - food, water, shelter and fighting off mutated zombies.

After meeting Rudy, a ghost who can't remember how long he has been in this dark world or even how long he's been dead, James realizes that zombies aren't the only threat here. There are other creatures that lurk in the shadows, and then there's CutterJack. As the name suggest, he's not very pleasant. CutterJack and his minions hunt James as he and Rudy travel through the darkness in search of a way home.

I loved how this book started out with James being confused and isolated in complete darkness. The threat of zombies shuffling around in the dark was interesting as well until the first encounter with them. It just seemed too easy of a fight and I didn't sense the fear or tension that I think James should have felt. That pretty much sums up the other encounters in this book for me. Maybe my disappointment there is my own fault though for thinking this book was something that it really isn't. When I purchased this book, I thought it was about zombies and it's not. The zombies are a threat, but they are more in the background really.

I did enjoy this story and found it different and creative. I liked the relationship between James and Rudy and the friendship that grows between them. There is a lot of mystery in this story as well and that keeps you glued to the book and reading way past bedtime. You won't find any answers in the first book though. The story continues where it leaves off in book 2, `The Broken Lands`.
on 1 April 2012
I can't say that I loved this book - but I wanted to get to the end to find out where on earth the main characters actually were and how they had got there. And now i've read it I'm not much the wiser....odd book. But pretty inventive.
on 6 February 2015
The main character is dumped into a world of darkness with no idea how he got there. So, as the reader, are you. As the hero explores his surroundings so do you. At first it's by touch, then he manages to create light. He finds himself within a giant junkyard, yet in a place that is clearly... well, somewhere else. This book was an amazing read and a big part is exploring the world with the hero so I don't want to give too much away.

The writing is very good, with vivid descriptions that really transport you into the world. It comes with a number of scary enemies, in particular one named Cutterjack (I'll let you read and find out more). The book builds to a very satisfying end which still leaves the door open for the next book in the series. It's so good that I went out and bought the omnibus of books 1 to 3 immediately (it was cheaper than buying 2 and 3 separately). Highly recommended.
on 16 April 2015
At first I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this book, it's not really my genre. I kept reading and I was quickly pulled in to the story. It's so beautifully descriptive that I felt I was actually there with the characters. To my mind a writer that can manage to make you disappear into a story and truely experience it is a great author.
I haven't read any of Glynn James's books before, (I'm sure I would remember if I had!) but I will certainly be looking out for them now. I can't wait to continue this incredibly amazing story!