on 8 September 1999
Okay, this was one I was going to pass up on at first glance. There didn't seem to be anything which would impact on the rest of the Saga, Dezra wasn't a character with anything by way of a history, and the title was lame ;-)
It was the author which swung it for me. Chris did such an excellent job with 'Spirit of the Wind' that I couldn't NOT have this book. It's nice to see he's kept with his original style. He manages to recreate the homely feel of Solace at the start, with its familiar surrounding and peculiar comforts. The menace of the Skorenoi is excellent, as is the reason for their creation. The sense of tragedy which keeps the Dragonlance saga above the rest is inspired early on with what is at the time a somewhat shockingly quick event. He also manages to have the heroes venture into the Faerie Realm and deal with sprites without becoming ludicrous or losing touch with the story.
...I don't recommend this for anyone who isn't familiar with the Saga (having read at least the Chronicles, Legends and Dragons of Summer Flame). For those who are (and who are tired of many other authors' naff attempts at coming up with something new (Doug Niles and Richard Knaak excluded)), this is definitely a novel worth adding to your collection.
on 24 August 1999
Dezra's quest is one of my favorite dragonlance books, mainly because I like to read of the adventures of Caramon Majere, but the other characters like Dezra and Borlos and Pallidice are what give you the feeling of really knowing the characters. I also really enjoyed the creatures in this book, which range from centaurs to dryads to sprites to the evil skorenoi and Grimbough, the evil tree. There was even a Golem,which was a welcomed addition in my opinion. My feeling was that the way the characters and races were portrayed was what gave them meaning to me.
In conclusion, the reason I liked the book was because of how well Chris Pierson brought the characters to life in my mind,how he portrayed the little seen centaurs, and the wide variety of creatures.
on 5 July 1999
The plot sound's vaguely familiar, "character seeks help for his people against a growing evil and not only gets an aging hero of tha lance, but his daughter as well". Wasn't this the same plot idea of Pierson's first book "Spirit of the wind"? This time the race that needs saving are the centaurs, the aging hero is Caramon and his daughter is Dezra. No need to fear though, this is where the similarity ends.
The book finally gives due recognition to an interesting but overlooked race, the centaurs. The characters are first rate, and the way the story is written is fast paced enough to keep you interested from start to finish.
Pierson finally breathes life into the Caramon's daughters who until now where overshadowed by their older brothers. Dezra is a character with so much potential, very similar to Kitiara, annoying but at least very realisic and interesting.
What else can I say? get this book and read it. With this book, Chris Pierson has definitely become one of my favorite DL authors.
on 11 August 1999
I bought this book at the gen con convention, and it was a quick read. Chris is a good author, who I hope will get better. However, I think I just expected too much after his last book. Unfortunately, this one had too many similarities to other Dragonlance books, and to other fantasy books on the market. Chris needs to come up with better ideas! I liked the character Dezra, though.
on 25 September 1999
I really enjoyed this book I thought it was great to see a story on Caramon and Tika's daughters. While the stories focus is on Dezra she remineds me of Kitiara she is a real pain from time to time and doesn't have respect for any one or anything. I think she is a interesting character and I hope to see more stories about her. I hope also to see a story about Caramon's other daughter Laura. If you enjoy reading the Dragonlance books than I recomened this book highly.