on 29 October 2008
I keep this handy in the van for a range of uses.Not the most powerfull drill out there but at 12v it proves more than capable of dealing with the easier jobs.The two batteries are more than adequate and with charging taking about an hour downtime is significantly decreased.Overall a mighty little drill
on 11 April 2008
I use one of these at work and the balance, speed/torque performance is superb and up to everything you'd expect from a professional 12v drill. We reckon DeWalt is the "Rolls Royce". This one is an ideal weight for work combining drilling and driving. Let's face it, if you are doing a lot of large diameter holes in masonry and no screwdriving you would get an 18v hammer version, however this sort would be too heavy for general stuff.
Beware though of overcharging the batteries. This shortens the life and they are not cheap. Switch off the charger when the light stops flashing but follow the instructions for the occasional "maintenance charge".
11 comment|186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 April 2009
I agree that this drill probably wouldn't stand heavy industrial use but it has already proved it's worth for me and is man enough for routine DIY tasks. I would be classed as a fairly heavy user in this category and am delighted with it's performance; an upgrade version with hammer facility would be a bonus but (a)My usage wouldn't justify that and (b)I alrady have an excelent Bosch for the heavy duty stuff; well satisfied with the build quality and extra battery; at the pice, a snip.
on 8 March 2010
What can I say that hasn't already been said? The Dewalt 12V Drill/Drivers are, in my opinion, the best in their class. The weight, balance, range of torque settings - and even the superior battery charger (which has overcharge protection and a charge indicator) - all ooze quality. You must of course get the version with two batteries!

My main reason for posting however is to disagree with reviewers who recommend an 18V cordless drill instead. My own experience is that you need two power drills in your toolkit: a 12V drill/driver for subtle, light duty work, and a corded drill for those times when you need raw power. I don't see much point in having anything in between (perhaps my opinion would be different if I was doing a lot of heavy duty work up ladders). Maybe I've just been unlucky, but no matter how I fiddle with the torque setting I've never found an 18V(+) cordless drill that has the fine control that a good 12V model (like this one) offers. After you have reamed out the head of one too many screws you learn that power isn't everything!
on 30 May 2010
This is undoubtably the best drill/driver I have ever bought. It was at a fantastic price and too be honest I cannot give it enough praise. From the moment it was delivered and I opened the case I knew I had made the right choice. It's tough and sturdy and does exactly (and more) what it says on the tin. The batteries are fully charged in an hour which is brilliant if you are in the middle of a job. It's not let me down once and I'm not sure it going to either. I can highly reccomend this drill/driver - which I do frequently to my mates !!
on 11 February 2009
this De Walt product etc was bought for my husband after he borrowed the same from a friend and raved about it , he is extremely pleased with it and I found the Amazon price, after searching other sites and shops, to be excellent value.
on 1 June 2009
I was looking for a replacement for a battery drill/driver I bought from Noah(surplus from Ark)Whilst it was the most useful tool I had I always found one battery not enough and charge time unacceptable so ended up using manual screwdrivers.

I was looking for a tool with 2 batteries and also quick charge time. I have to say this is the best purchase I have made for years. Great Value and even my wife finds it easy to use
on 27 August 2008
This is a good tool, well made, of rugged construction and easy to use. I have had one for some time now and have found it, almost as soon as I bought it to be greatly underpowered. I would buy Dewalt again however I would not buy a 12v version. A minimum of 18v would be a a must for anyone considering purchasing this for regular use. With the 18v version you will also get the benefit of hammer action, which is an added bonus. Another thing to consider with any cordless drill/driver is that unless you are using it regularly the battery life will seriously be reduced.
11 comment|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 December 2010
Solid appearance and having used it for a bit of DIY it seems very good. I'll be a lot happier when I can open the accessory case that I ordered with it. The cover seems as inpenetrable as a child-proof pillbox!

Batteries last a good time and it's great having a spare battery pack. The case is very solid and seems well-made although the catches are going to drive me mad.

Very pleased with my dewalt drill.
on 14 February 2009
I have owned mine as an addition to my dewalt tools for site work.This is ideal for work using 2" screws or less or small diameter drilling as batteries last for ever,but for any heavy weight work fork out a bit more and go for the 18v or more as the difference is a world apart.thank you.

See one answered question