on 20 May 1999
I like this book so much it's my favorite gift to give graduates - and they always come back to me and tell me how useful it is. There are so many different ways it can be used. I've used it as a reference for teaching Sunday School on certain subjects or on certain passages. For my personal study, the short devotional sections are perfect for morning, then I do the longer study on the same passage as my evening or weekend study when I have more time. The many different "reading" plans included in the front provide different ways of reading through the Bible each year. Plus, the Personal Application and Quotable sections for each day are great summations of the text and short enough to stick with you for the day. Richards' definitely has a God-given knack for getting right to the meaning without wasting a lot of words doing it. This is just the perfect tool for both study and devotions - and heavy on the most important part - application!
on 8 April 1999
Have used this nearly every morning for about a year. I like Lawrence's style and it makes a good change from formal study books with a lot of questions (which I have been doing for 10 years!). The emphasis is on devotional rather than intellectual bible knowledge. Warning: Some mornings, it's a lot to read in a short time.