on 30 May 2013
Every parent, teacher, assistant who works with a non-verbal autistic person should study this.
Many years ago I saw a video clip of Soma using the Rapid Prompting Method. Even though I considered myself to be open-minded to new ideas I did not think this approach would work for my son. She seemed to talk too quickly (I struggled to keep up with what she was saying) and seemed to be pushing the child in a way which I thought lacked warmth. I was so wrong to form these opinions! A few years ago I watched the clips again - this time through new eyes and I saw the possibilities. I have been fortunate enough to meet Soma twice now and observe her working with my son - she is an absolute genius who totally believes in the ability of every child she works with.
Using Soma's methods my son, Christopher, has not only been able to show how academically intelligent he is - he can now communicate his deeper thoughts and feelings in a way which means that others believe they are HIS words . Christopher does not yet have the motor control to be able type independently, he has lots of behaviour challenges and often his body seems to resist doing what he wants it to - he can be getting up, walking away, being physically rough with me but when I ask if he wants to carry on with the communication he usually points to YES.
I asked him to advise another parent whose non-verbal 8 year old son had been crying and he did not know why :- I AM THINKING HE NEEDS TO TEACH HIS SON TO POINT TO LETTERS ON STENCILS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRkZPsElrSg&list=UUMtrorkbUiDMIwvY2-W5GhQ&index=1
I was recently able to help Christopher `talk' directly to a paediatrician about the seizures which he has had - answering questions by pointing to the letters on the stencil. At the end of the appointment I asked him if he would like to ask the doctor a question - he very purposefully and quickly pointed to- WILL I HAVE ANOTHER FIT. How wonderful it is that he is able to do this and how awful it must be for children who have these questions unanswered in their heads.
Here's an extract from a poem written on his 14th birthday :-

HELP US TO GET OUR WORDS OUT ON PAPER OR MAKE US LIVE IN SILENCE

BE A PATIENT HELPER AND WATCH US GROW INTO STRONG ADULTS

Today he has told me THIS IS REALLY MEANINGFUL BECAUSE MY FRIENDS WANT TO COMMUNICATE

I truly believe that when more people learn to use this method we will be able to unlock a massive talent pool that will benefit society as a whole. Please everyone spread the word!

Sue Finnes - Mum to Christopher aged 14, Sutton Coldfield , United Kingdom.

Turning Fourteen - written 17.12 2012

BLESS OUR EVERY THOUGHT AND WATCH US GROW

HELP US TO GET OUR WORDS OUT ON PAPER OR MAKE US LIVE IN SILENCE

BE A PATIENT HELPER AND WATCH US GROW INTO STRONG ADULTS
on 12 June 2013
I would recommend this book to anybody who has/works with a non-verbal child with autism. This approach is tailored to each individual (as described in the book), so can support children with different sensory needs, interests and challenges to empower them to communicate. was absolutely glued to this book once I had it - every page is filled with something useful; whether that be examples of `conversations' with children, clear explanations of the different stages of RPM or ideas for sessions.

Recently, because of RPM, I was able to have a conversation with a non-verbal child with autism where he expressed that he had many goals... `I WANT TO ACHIEVE AN EDUCATION DEGREE TO ENABLE ME TO HELP PEOPLE WITH AUTISM LEARN LIKE ME'. This was something that we would not have been able to discuss without this method. Everybody has the right to communicate in a meaningful way - where they are able to not only express simple wants/needs but also share their intelligence, character, hopes and dreams. For this reason (and many more) I once again cannot recommend this book highly enough!
on 4 January 2015
Without Soma, there would be more silence.