Format: DVD|Change

on 17 March 2003
I'm not a big fan of Bollywood, I don't even understand Hindi, but I was inspired to watch the film by the trailers on television and the reviews given by various magazines. Watching the film was not a problem as it had English subtitles. So, what did I think...?
The film, in short, was utterly breathtaking.
The sets were so lavish and colourful that every scene was like a gift to the eye, the music was so soulful that every emotion felt by the audience was inevitably emphasized to perpetuity, the dialogue was emotive and masterful and the performance of Sharuh Khan and Aishwarya Rai were so utterly natural that one felt like a spectator on a real-life love story with a shattering conclusion. I laughed, I cried but most of all I was gripped in awe at this epic film. There are few films I can claim I shall never forget but this is definitely one of the few.
on 16 January 2004
Devdas is a timeless classic remade for a modern audience with a very large budget. It tells the story of Devdas and his eternal love for Paro, but how the society of their time would not permit their union and so Paro leaves Devdas for more appropriate suitor. Their love however can never be forgotten and the film shows their undying devotion to one another. Perhaps could be described as the Indian equivalent of Romeo and Juliet; was also originally a novel. Would appeal to a very wide audience, Indian and in the West.
on 14 July 2007
This movie is AMAZING! my favourite bollywood movie of all time. I absolutely fell in love with Shah Rukh Khan after watching this movie, his acting is superb! The story of this movie touches your heart and is a defiant tear jerker. Madhuri's acting was brilliant and is a pleasant suprise to also have her in this movie. I must also admit, that this is the only movie where Ashwariya Rai hasnt annoyed me. Overall this movie is amazing! Even if you are not a huge Bollywood fan, i would still recommend watching this movie...it will make you fall in love with Bollywood! :)
on 29 May 2007
This film was an Oscar nominee and for a Bollywood film to be taken this seriously, or to reach such a wide audience, is rare. One thing to bear in mind is its length. It seems to go on for an hour longer than was vital, but that extra hour only appears to sweep you further away in Devdas' plight. I admit I am no expert on acting delivery, or directing style, but little under 20 minutes in I had forgotten I was watching a foreign language film, or reading subtitles, and was just swept away with the humanity of the story. Definately a film for a Saturday afternoon, accompanied by a large box of choccies and an even bigger box of tissues.
Note: As an American who quite likes, but is not an expert on Indian cinema, I'm the first to admit there may be elements of content or style that I might lack the knowledge to fully appreciate. These are just my personal reactions, take them for what they're worth.

Colorful and touching, if occasionally uneven, this story of a Romeo and Juliet like love affair and it’s aftermath certainly has it’s moments. The performances are strong, it looks great, there’s some interesting social commentary about the corrosive effects of class and social status. and there are a few good musical numbers.

But the musical element is odd – too much or two little for my taste. One song an hour is just enough to make their sudden appearance a bit jarring, not fully integrated into the style. There’s also a tendency to melodrama and overstatement in the plot and even the (quite good) acting, and some important questions about the "whys" behind characters’ key decisions in this tale of love and loss are left unexplored.

I was also frustrated that the DVD transfer quality didn't seem up to the physical beauty of the film. It's not bad, but this is the kind of film that calls out for blu-ray, or at least an absolutely 1st rate mastering.

None-the-less, it works well enough to enjoy as spectacle, and heart stuck melodrama to be enjoyable, almost like an old style Hollywood film, if not up to the level of Bhanasali’s later, quite brilliant and innovative “Black”.
on 23 December 2008
This movie played havoc with my emotions. It is just heart wrenching at times and SRK is beyond exceptional. Ash is very good too (a little too good at playing the immature earlier version of her figure as she was irritating at that point but she grows the character up and really brings the emotion out). It is more traditional in its dances but is beautiful to look at and very poetic. It demands more of the viewer but definitely worth the journey unless you prefer light and frothy -which it isn't.
on 19 December 2014
I bought this DVD back in 2009. Was totally entranced with this amazing film, both the storyline and the cinematography, I melted into the story and didnt even think about the fact that I was watching with subtitles, I cried thru most of it for many reasons. Such a different role to what I was used to seeing Shahrukh Khan in, I had been enjoying his films for years when I bought this and altho they were good I wouldnt describe the ones Id seen as serious, so it was a real surprise when the film took on a darker theme, it was Shakesperean and Shahrukh and Ms Aishwarya Rai (as was) are so well matched to play these two charactures, I enjoy it each time I watch it as Im sure I will keep doing, .....phones turned off and hanky ready for the tears..............(ps...I have seen Shahrukh in more of his thoughtful movies since and thought My Name is Khan was particularly wonderful). I would thoroughly reccomend this film especially for a cold winter afternoon, it will carry you away to a world of amazing colour and just about every emotion possible .Enjoy !!!!!
on 21 August 2006
This film is incredibly beautiful, as well as being superbly acted. Wonderful music and dances too. It was the most emotional experience I have ever had watching a film. It has been loosely described as the Indian version of Romeo and Juliet and I can see why, because it is a tragic love story. If you are not afraid to be profoundly moved and want a very powerful experience, see it.
on 2 December 2002
Many lovers of the original 'Devdas' will probabaly disagree with me when I say that this reworking of the classic (but tragic)love story is a wonder for the eyes to behold...
It truly is a sight to be seen - from the sumptuous and colourful decor and sets, to the heartfelt acting skills of the lead roles. You can almost smell the kum kum being thrown around in the first dance sequence - and what a glorious way to introduce Paro, the love and life of Devdas (Shahrukh Khan), played exquisitely by Aishwarya Rai.
Although I always feel that a Bollywood film should be seen in the cinema (to get that overwhelming feel of loosing oneself in the film!), 'Devdas' is such a delight that little is lost in the transfer from cinema screen to DVD - it even comes with subtitles for those who don't speak Hindi/Urdu.
As for the musical score... another work of genius - a must have for any CD player worth it's salt! Go and order it now!
All in all, this is an intoxicating and infectious love story that will have you laughing and crying (sometimes at the same time!) - the ending is so unlike all the other Bollywood films, that you will never forget it.
Please please please see this film...!
on 21 August 2003
This is undoubtedly one of the finest hindi films of all time. The production quality and attention to detail make DEVDAS the benchmark for all future costume dramas. As for the acting, rarely has anyone seen Shahrukh Khan perform so effortlessly, he mesmerises right from the first scene.To anyone who loves hindi cinema, who appreciates the culture and has read Chattopadhay's novel, you owe it to yourself to watch it and then watch it again. As the trailer says "there will never be another DEVDAS like this".