Flavour: Spring Fresh|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 January 2014
Without access to a laboratory it is impossible to know if this actually works so I am taking it on trust that it does. After reading a couple of online reports I was concerned to read that low temperature washing doesn't actually kill the germs on your clothes. As I wash the majority of my coloured and lightly stained clothes on an ECO cycle that doesn't heat the water at all, I thought I should try using this. You add 2 caps into the fabric softener compartment with each wash meaning a 1.5L bottle should last me quite a while. The smell is very nice (Fresh Cotton) and I didn't find any issue with it, although I don't think I will be trying the lavender.

One small point, don't shake the bottle because it fills with bubbles making it difficult to pour into the cap.
on 8 July 2016
As a mother of 3, with a 9year old gymnasts and ballerina, a 6 year old footballer and basically a rough player who is always being told to get off the floor and a 4 month old baby, this is something I cannot do without.

Keeps my not just clean but sanitised. I use along with the conditioner for extra softness and a lasting freshness but I really so notice the difference when I don't use the dettol antibacterial laundry cleanser for my clothes, especially on my 6 year old boy who also has eczema and would constantly itch.
Prior to having this I would wash everything on 60 degrees to kill bacteria but I don't need to do that anymore. I save energy and stop spoiling my clothes which in the long run saves me money.

Also I'll not 1 of these (1.5 L bottle) cost £4.50 at the cheapest in a supermarket. Getting 4 for £12.80 is definitely value for money.

I review all items I buy on amazon, irrespective of price, as I myself have found reviews help to make the right decision when shopping. If you found this review helpful, please do let me know by clicking below.
review image
on 28 November 2014
We suffered from foul smelling laundry, a common enough thing if you google it. Extra rinsing, empty boil washing the machine regularly, cleaning the machine, hypoallergenic wash settings, extra washing gel, less washing gel, fabric conditioners - nothing helped. Embarrassing to smell something horrible on the train and realise it's you.

This isn't a problem I remember from the past, and it affected mainly heavy cottons, so I ascribe it to modern eco machines with their low water usage and temperatures; enough odour causing bacteria on dirty clothes are surviving the wash cycle and then have plenty of time happily to multiply again as wet washing slowly dries before you put it on again.

Early days yet, but a month into using this product - with washing drying slowly indoors in the winter (in other words a damp bacterial paradise) - and the problem has vanished. Looks like this is set to become a regular buy. Although it's a shame one has to use extra chemicals to run an "eco" machine!
44 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 March 2015
Please note this review may make unpleasant reading for some, so please be warned.

Late February 2015 my mother became very unwell very quickly, one minute she was fine and the next she was suffering with near constant vomiting and diarrhea.

Thankfully an out of hours doctor arrived very quickly and diagnosed her with the winter vomiting virus or norovirus.

My sister went and got her prescription and came back also with a bottle of Dettol sensitive laundry cleanser.

My mother was soiling herself and her bed frequently which lead to a wash load being done several times a day. Each was requiring a surprising 2 cap fulls of solution.

My mother suffers with very sensitive skin, she has always had sensitive skin but more recently it has become more acute due to her medication and I am glad to say that even with very frequent washes of bedding and nightwear at no point did she have any reaction to the Dettol cleanser.

Each and every wash came out 100% clean first time every time, never needing a second wash. Each wash was also noticeably fresher smelling than just using detergent on its own, despite the fact that the Dettol is fragrance free.

Our washing machine is desludged and descaled monthly, but despite that I can only assume the improved smell was the Dettol affecting the insides of the machine.

Everything washed while using the Dettol came out fine, even wool garments, although it was never used on delicates such as silk or cashmere etc, nothing was shrunk, marked, stained or faded.

The Dettol was used with every single wash and lasted around 2 weeks, which is pretty good considering it required 2 cap fulls, and for the first 5 days of use I was doing 4-5 wash loads a day.

While our washing machine does drain itself after each wash it does not drain 100% of the water, to avoid cross contamination until the 3rd day that my mother was better I manually drained every last drop of water from the machine.

I am glad to report that by the 4th day after being diagnosed my mother was back to her normal self despite a few more muscles aching than normal.

I am also glad to say that despite being in close contact with both my mother and her soiled garments almost every hour of every day, thanks to this, some vigorous use of several bottles of Dettol surface cleanser and many packs of anti bacterial hand wipes, I did not become infected.

I don’t think this is something that we could afford to use on a day to day basis, however I do plan to buy a bottle every 3 months from now on.
Flavour: Spring Fresh|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've always tended to launder everything on as low a temperature setting as possible. Up until recently I was more than happy with the results of my usual 30⁰ cycle, until learning of the hidden bacteria that probably survives each wash. As I find my 3 cats regularly lounging on my bed, the bed linen was of a particular concern.

I found it odd that this product is poured into the fabric softener section of the washing machine, plus the thin watery consistency had me wondering if this cleanser could deliver an effective wash, let alone kill all the hidden creepy crawlies that possibly infest my duvet cover. I don't have the lab equipment to conclusively state that this product works. I can state though that its light smell is pleasant, plus it eases my mind considerably that I won't catch some weird cat virus.
44 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 February 2015
I have been buying these consistently, and ever since I had a baby. Before this laundry cleanser came along, I used a capful of dettol liquid to soak soiled/vomit/ stained clothes in a bucket. This would mean strong antiseptic smells afterwards, and the need to wash at high temps. The use of this cleanser has changed that, and mixed with fabric conditioner, my laundry smells fresher and wonderful. One thing I object to is the scare mongering about germs. If your baby's laundry is not filled with soiled garments (as in just light dirt through daily wear) then washing at 30 or 40 degrees is fine, and without the need for this cleanser.
on 8 November 2014
This really does work. Modern washing machines do not use enough water or high enough temperature to kill bacteria. My clothes have had a bad smell for several years, even after a few hours of wearing. I have tried various washing powders this is the only one that worked. This has removed the noxious smell from my clothes after only one wash. The smell doesn't come back even if I wear the clothes for days. Proof enough that the bad smell was due to bacteria which weren't removed or killed by normal washing. Fantastic. I would thoroughly recommend this product.
on 10 February 2015
This does work!!! This product gave me back half my wardrobe. Unfortunately, however much I washed my tops, trying different powders, fabric conditioners and several settings on the machine, after only wearing a top for a couple of hours, this awful, embarrassing scent would appear from the armpit regions!! Even tried lots and lots of brands of deoderants, thinking it was me, my body!! But reading about the bacteria being able to sit, stay and live in clothing, despite being washed in machines over and over again, something clicked!! And thanks to Dettol Anti Bacterial Cleanser the problem has gone. It wasnt me, but my tops, where the problem just continued. The bacteria stayed in there, and every time I would wear it again, the smell returned quickly! So I stopped wearing most of my tops, investing in lots of new ones. To make double sure, I put 3 or 4 of my tops in a bowl/bucket, add the required amount of dettol and water and leave to soak for about 20 min, rather then wash in the machine. Rinse out, hang to dry...and presto...no more smells, no more bacteria, even after wearing all day, running around after kids, household jobs, etc!! Fabulous, so pleased.
on 7 March 2016
l have been buying this for months now at my local supermarket. But no more. Buying it thru Amazon is sooo much cheaper. l bought 4 from Amazon in one pack, at a price that was like my local supermarket having a bogof offer. Buy 4 get 1 free. And l get to choose what fragrance. There is only one fragrance on offer at my local supermarket, and it is the dearest. The price per bottle is the same as Amazons price. l chose a less expensive fragrance and saved money. Thanks Amazon. It also keeps your washing machine smelling really nice between washes. Anyone who shuts the door after washes, and does not keep it ajar will find that when you open the door after 3 or more days, the smell is not nice at all.
on 18 November 2015
If you use a washing machine in a common laundry like we do then this product is essential. It gives you peace of mind in sharing washing facilities with strangers! It also has a fresh smell not the normal Dettol disinfectant smell. Also good to use if you wash pet items in the same machine.