Size: Set of 24|Change

on 20 April 2011
These are a great addition to your art supplies. Soft pastels are wonderful for soft, smudgy drawings and large areas of colour but sometimes you want or need to give a bit more definition - a tiny line or dot of colour which is where these come in. OK, not a vast colour selection but enough. I can echo and agree with the previous reviewers comments regarding colour and breaking. If you don't like the dusty mess soft pastels make and/or you want more control over where you place your colour these are for you.
on 22 February 2011
This is my second tin of these pastel pencils. They are excellent quality and spread very well on a variety of surfaces. They do not crumble or break easily which is great when doing fine work. High quality pigment and colour transfer.
on 29 February 2012
These pencils are extremely good for fine work and awkward corners. They don't leave too much dust behind either. I would have liked just a couple more colours in the tin.
on 3 September 2014
I am a total beginner with pastels and as I am not so keen on getting 'dirty fingers', these truly are a great invention, combining the versatility of a pastel with the control of a pencil, and the finer point helps boost the confidence to more experimenting.
Derwent Pastel Pencils don't crumble too much (in my experience so far) and it is easy to mix and blend. if required.

The pastel pencils arrive in a quality tin, ready to use, each one measuring around 17.5 cm in length.

Embossed in a silver-colour on each barrel is ENGLAND/DERWENT/PASTEL, the COLOUR NAME & 'P with the 3 digit CODE NUMBER'.

You don't lose half the pastel when using the recommended Derwent Pastel Pencil Sharpener which is a fairly inexpensive addition (at the time of writing) and has lasted well (so far) and I am not the least bit confident with a craft knife!

The tin I have access to contains the following colours:

* P720 Titanium White

Some colours are available separately, with a few on the Amazon 'Add-On' Programme, e.g. COBALT BLUE or COBALT TURQUOISE (at the time of writing), which is very useful if you want to try before investing in a whole set, and more economical if adding to a collection.

ooOoo

Amalgamated on the same Amazon product code, the other sets available have the following colours (at the time of writing):

12:

* P670 French Grey Light
* P690 Blue Grey
* P700 Graphite Grey
* P720 Titanium White

'Occasionally it may be necessary to substitute with a product equal or superior to that specified...'
on 23 February 2015
Lovely pencils! Fantastic quality! I read other Amazon reviews and took peoples advice on buying the larger range of colours. I am so glad I did. Thank you, to the people who take the time to write proper reviews.

They came sharpened. One less job to do. Although I thought the idea of a tin would be easy to use, tins are probably best for sending them in the post. The tin pops open when carrying them. The plastic tray is too flimsy for lifting out a layer. I didn’t like the feeling, that they may get knocked off the table or that the tray would collapse. I bought a Derwent Carry All Bag. The bag holds two pencils in each elasticated band. Problem sorted!

I've not used pastel pencils before. This is new ground for me. I have not used the pencils much more than starting a colour sheet. I am waiting on delivery of a set of grey colour shapers too. The pencils are as expected a bit crumbly when in use. Some colours are a bit scratchy on the paper but only very slightly. Light pressure is the key. Building up many layers, as I would with my beloved watercolours. The colours are superb. I can tell this will compete with my watercolour time. Heck I may get outrageous and combine the two!
on 18 November 2012
I bought these awhile ago from my local Art shop. I wish I had looked at Amazon first as there is a HUGH difference in price.
Good selection of colours and blend really easily. I sharpen my pastels with sandpaper and it produces a lovely sharp point for detail work, also use a blender (Tortillion) for areas that you cannot do using your hands. Blenders are great too.
I love using pastel pencils over pastel blocks. Much more easier to manage. Recommended.
on 28 September 2009
I like these Derwent Pastel pencils a lot. I have Stabilo Carbothello pastel pencils also but the lead in those seems to breaks too easily.
on 9 October 2011
These are excellent pastel pencils. The colours are good and they are so easy to use. Much better than a stubby stick.
on 27 June 2013
I have been using soft pastels for 7 years or so, I love working them and have always been very sceptical about pastel pencils. Bought these in an Amazon Lightning Deal and am absolutely delighted with them. Great for detail, of fur, and can be used in conjunction with regular soft pastels or by themselves.

They rub out really easily on pastel paper, which isn't always the case with soft pastels, and they make very little dust so they are great for taking outside.

Would thoroughly recommend trying them.
on 14 February 2011
Yes my Grandaughter has said how great they are. I saw her drawings, using lead pencils and she was not too happy using paints, though she wanted to add some colour to her sketches. I ordered her these and had Amazon send them to her. Her very talented drawing of singer Riahanna (not sure of spelling) now has the colour that was wanted. So I am very happy with these and so is my 14year old Grandaughter.