Size: Full Set 9B-9H (Set of 24)|Change

on 3 December 2011
I know many people think "It's a pencil, so?" but these aren't mere pencils. The graphite contained in these pencils is exquisite - the different grades give different intensities on the page and allow you to create shade and shadow and texture as you desire. The graphite is soft and easy to blend, it is also easy to lift off the page with a kneadable eraser to create highlights and reflections.

This set is the soft set and for me it contains essential pencils for my sketching - for those who need a harder pencil, e.g. for techincal drawings there is a tin with the H grades of pencil (Derwent 12 Tin Graphic Pencils TECHNICAL (Hard)) , and for those who need a bit of both there is a "medium" tin containing the mid-range (medium hard to medium soft)(Derwent Medium Graphic Pencils Tin of 12) . Of course, you could always go the whole distance and get the full set (which helpfully contains duplicates of the most common artists pencils.)(Derwent Graphic Pencils 24 SET)

In my opinion, this set is essential for any artist - not to mention, it is great value.
on 23 September 2009
Without causing controversy; these are quite easily the best pencils in existance. I would highly recommend any Derwent product and Faber castell for that matter. If you are an art student or interested in art I really cannot stress how brilliant you will find these pencils! Can I provide a tip; when shading with these pencils use a cotton bud, it blends so much easier which is true for most pencils. I know its expensive, but you won't regret it. I will only buy Derwent products now to be completely honest.
on 14 August 2010
The perfet art set for people who take art seriously for hobbies or perhaps anything. Many shades and good quality with a dupliate HB and 4B pencil which I was rather pleased to discover :)
on 25 May 2010
These amazing pencils are great for everyday use and drawing.
The box comes in a great set of pencils ranging form all B grade pencils to some H grades.
You can easily create tones if you are working on a graphite portrait and work well with many materials such as blending stumps and tissue helps you to create a realistic and almost photographic composition with soft and dark tones.
With normal pencils you cant create black tones but with the 9B you can almost create a deep black.
I have never seen a range of soft sketching pencils like theses and have never seen a better quality pencil set and I will never need to get another pencils set again.
Many of my friends use these sets of pencils and are very happy with them.
I would recommend these pencils to anyone who is an expert or just starting out with drawing and I would hope you would enjoy using these pencils too.
on 1 March 2016
I've had the pack of 24 pencils for a while now and they're great! Pros: Diverse range of pencil degrees, Don't break easily good for fine detail and great price for the quality. Cons: (there's none really I can think of) Although sometimes I struggle with blending these pencils but I mainly believe that's due to me being pretty inexperienced with sketching. I've attached a little doodle I did of my dog (from first time using these).
review image
on 3 December 2013
The reason Derwent has the best graphite pencils in the World (in my opinion) is because they have their own private quarry, that's one way of stopping your competitors from copying your product. I have tried many different brands of professional pencils over the years and none have come close to being as good as Derwents, the way the graphite lays down on the paper is great but it's nothing compared to the way they blend, if you have a look at the pictures I have uploaded you can see how smoothly they blend on portraits, on the Angelina Jolie picture I tell you how I got the finish I did, I have yet to find another pencil that comes close to the blending quality of these, if you get a paper stump and blend along the grain of the way you have drawn then you will leave some texture but if you blend with your stump 90 degrees across the way you have drawn you will get a very very smooth finish which is perfect for doing skin in portraits and the former is for doing hair or fur, whether you are a beginner or a professional artist you will not be disappointed with these pencils you really can't go wrong...I keep writing to them to sell just their leads to us as I prefer to use clutch pencil lead holders 2mm but as yet they won't sell them to me. I believe they are missing out on a whole market there but I don't know why they wont do it?, it wont cost them any more they already have the leads, just doesn't make sense why they wont do it???...happy drawing Boshy.
review image review image review image review image
on 16 January 2013
Bought these as a replacement for a set I bought years ago (kept replacing single pencils until the lesser used grades were worn enough to warrant a new set). I've tried a few different brands over time, and always come back to these as I find them much smoother than others. They take a nice point for precision, and blend well, too. As mentioned in another review, Derwent used to use hinged tins, which were better than the newer tins, but the pencils are still quite well protected.
on 25 March 2012
Well what I know about sketching you can write on the back of a stamp. The pencils come in a really handy tin which you keep them all tidy in. The sharpen well and although i didnt know this at the time artists tend not to use the harder pencils(HB. Of course you can always use them for something else but they are good quality and I thought good for a beginner who can experiment with the different ways you can use a pencil to sketch
on 25 October 2011
I know Derwent from my college, all my tutors highly recommend them and they are not wrong. I still have a small tin that I've had for over a year and they are still going strong. I like how this pack has more than one 2b as these are the pencils I used the most.
They are definitely worth the price, as they will last longer than other brands.
on 20 January 2013
Absolutely love them. Definitely worth the money. Would recommend to anyone interested. I prefer these to the soft and hard boxes as these contain a mix. Since I know I won't use all 24 pencils I found this medium one to be the best solution.