Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Feb 2008 15:13:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Feb 2008 15:14:43 GMT
Jago says:
First of all, the first book in this series is one of the best books i have ever had the pleasure to read...and this book will no doubt be amazing. It is therefore with a sad heart that i must mention that the publication date above, namely April 08 is wrong, according to the author's blog this book is not now due until April 09... for more information...

http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/blog/2008/01/unhappy-announcement.html

Posted on 24 Apr 2009 23:44:25 BDT
M. McVinnie says:
First it was April 08, then November 08, now April 09 and its the 24th April, with no book in sight.
Someone hand me a rifle I want to shoot the publishers.

Posted on 4 May 2009 00:42:52 BDT
Loooooved the first book so much its now on my top 10 of all time list.Really disappointed at the delay in publishing the second book, it doesn't auger well for future releases!!!

Posted on 5 Jun 2009 10:32:38 BDT
Deb says:
Why on earth aren't people prepared to wait until the book comes out, are you really that impatient? His first book was very good and it's a shame (and unfair) to seemingly disparage his second book without even reading it (only 3 stars, for anyone who's wondering whether to read it or not - not a ringing endorsement)!

It's a pity we're such an 'instant gratification' society nowadays - things are always much better when you're full of anticipation.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2009 13:22:27 GMT
August 2011 now. I could write my own sequel in that time! The first book was good, but not THAT good

Posted on 11 Jan 2010 23:59:11 GMT
Alex Wilson says:
We've got to wait a whole year?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2010 00:00:39 GMT
Alex Wilson says:
Just checked- it's out in America already, and has been for a while. Looks like they're making us wait till 2011 for no reason at all

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2010 00:03:08 GMT
Alex Wilson says:
It came out in April 09 in America. They're making us wait till April 2011.
I've posted quite a lot on this discussion now..

Posted on 12 Jan 2010 00:42:55 GMT
Alex Wilson says:
I may have made a big mistake.. I can't find The Wise Man's Fear on Amazon.com anymore.. or anywhere in fact.

Posted on 15 Jan 2010 01:17:14 GMT
S. Bradbury says:
It has not been realeased in America already.
Head over to pat's blog and you'll see.
Just be patient, you can always read it again just before it comes out to recap.
Wouldn't you rather wait for an amazing book than read an unpolished one now?

Posted on 15 Jan 2010 22:59:52 GMT
J. L. Rouse says:
Do you think he's going to finish the story once we get to him becoming Kote, or do you think he'll continue it?....I really want him to continue it, but adding to the discussion, the book will be released when it's released, and since he's such a good writer he's probably very annal and wouldnt release it unless he was happy with it no matter how much you begged.

Posted on 16 Mar 2010 18:05:39 GMT
Alex Wilson says:
Just checked- it's out in America already, and has been for a while. Looks like they're making us wait till 2011 for no reason at all
-------------------------------
Alex Wilson says:
I may have made a big mistake.. I can't find The Wise Man's Fear on Amazon.com anymore.. or anywhere in fact.
--------------------------------

Some hilarious levels of stupidity, there...

Posted on 28 Mar 2010 19:53:03 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2010 08:45:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Apr 2010 09:40:59 BDT
Right, because all it takes to get a good book out is to sit in front of a typewriter. I mean, I could do it if i felt like it, right?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2010 15:25:18 BDT
Why couldn't you do it?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2010 15:31:06 BDT
Because the wiriting process is far more complex than you make out, and varies massively with each writer.

If it were as simple a process and just sitting down and bashing it out, we'd have most of the books people have been wailing and gnashing their teeth over already. But it isn't. There's a little thing called inspiration, working out the intricacies of plot, editing, revising and on and on and on. Not to mention many authors are extremely perfectionist in their wiriting, Rothfuss included, which means they may produce a book *you* may be happy with, but they wouldn't realease it unless *they* were.

Plus real life has a habit of getting in the way - Rothfuss lost his mother, nearly lost his father to cancer, and has just become a father.

Based on all of that, I cut the guy some slack.

But, then again, I'm not so uptight that I work myself into a lather over the simple fact that a book isn't done yet....

Posted on 29 Mar 2010 15:33:38 BDT
See also: http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=493102#post493102

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2010 15:57:24 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 21 Apr 2010 00:01:04 BDT
mermaid says:
All the above reasons as to why this book is so delayed are understandable. What is frustrating is that Rothfuss, Lynch and others make a huge selling production out of the fact that their book series are all but done/written as one huge book - had to be divided, and in GRRM's case: (Dance of Dragons) it's been nearly five years since he told us that one book was effectively being split in two. We all understand that life intervenes and that Gods laugh when you tell them your plans - so shutup, writers!! Don't make promises you can't keep!! Robin Hobb has a very busy life - she seems to deliver on the nail...

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2010 09:37:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Apr 2010 09:41:15 BDT
Hi mermaid. I understand your frustration, but I don't think what you described above actually happened - can you point me to a source where Scott Lynch stated his series was finished? I don't believe there's one out there, as I follow his work closely and I've never read anything like that. His plan for the series is outlined on his website, but I don't believe he ever intimated they were done and would be released quickly.

In the case of Rothfuss, again, I don't think he ever did that himself. His publishers did state something along the lines of the books coming out every year in their original blurb, but that was obviously a mistake and can't be levelled at the feet of Rothfuss. Quite the oposite, he's been one of the most open of all the authors about the state of his work, and I appreciated and understood it.

Posted on 23 Apr 2010 23:20:57 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2010 15:34:07 BDT
mermaid says:
I appreciated it and understood Rothfuss' blog post as well, - not being terminally stupid. In his case, the whole thing was presented to his publishers as done, but had to be split into three books. Scott Lynch - in his original blog said he would produce a book a year, plus the prequels. Martin...... I give up. And thanks for the patronising attitude James E., but I'm not in the habit of posting things that aren't true, and I don't give a flying xxxx whether you believe me or not! Personally, I find the publishers' attitude suspicious. Are they waiting to see how the whole Kindle revolution pans out? Meanwhile, as I explore Waterstones' here and in London, the SF/Fantasy shelf stock appears to be dwindling everywhere. Anyway, roll on 2011, looks to be a vintage year for fantasy if everything is published....

Posted on 26 Apr 2010 15:49:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Apr 2010 15:54:34 BDT
wow, a lot of really over-sensitive people around here...

I don't think my previous post was patronising, but this one will be, as I think you need to look up the word and understand what it properly means...

"In his case, the whole thing was presented to his publishers as done" - where is your evidence of this? I asked you for a source last time and you couldn't provide one.

"Scott Lynch - in his original blog said he would produce a book a year, plus the prequels" Again, where? Please provide a link. Not saying you are wrong, but it seems unlikely.

"but I'm not in the habit of posting things that aren't true" Then please prove me wrong and back up your statements with facts.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2010 15:54:00 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 29 Apr 2010 09:41:49 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2010 15:29:20 BDT
mermaid says:
Missing the point, sailor - everything I wrote was true. If you don't believe me, look it up yourself - you care more than I do!!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  9 Feb 2008
Latest post:  4 Jan 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Book 2
The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Book 2 by Patrick Rothfuss (Hardcover - 1 Mar 2011)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (499)