This is one of my favourite albums of all time. I played "Your Favorite Weapon" constantly for weeks, but now that they've matured, Brand New are even better. I loved the fast songs on "Your Favorite Weapon", but found the best quality in "Soco Amaretto Lime" and "The No Seatbelt Song". Those deeper songs are BN's real niche and they should stick to it, which they've done with "Deja Entendu". The slow slongs are in the majority here, but they are addictive slow songs with strong choruses like only Brand New can do. There are also a couple of fantastic fast (but again more mature) tracks.
(1) "Tautou" --> More of an intro than a real track. Kind of pretty ... It's neither bad nor really good so I tend to skip it. A decent warm-up though.
(2) "Sic Transit Gloria ... Glory Fades" --> A fantastic song, one of the fast tracks on the album. It's ultimately about a guy losing his virginity and not feeling quite ready, but you have to listen carefully to get that. It's surprisingly moving - the lyrics and chorus are great.
(3) "I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light" --> This song is about homesickness and it's very moving. Slow-ish but catchy and with a good chorus. I love it, depressing as it is.
(4) "Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't" --> Yet another of my favourites. It's really beautiful, and has an eerie feel to it, but with quite bitter lyrics. Like most of these songs, it starts of slow but catchy, and speeds up with a catchy, powerful chorus. I'm not sure what it's about exactly, but it's great anyway ;-)
(5) "The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows" --> Another fast song. This one is anthemic, addictive and impossible to tire of. Probably favourite ever BN track. It's very heart-wrenching, and you will love it instantly.
(6) "The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot" --> One of the real slowies, but beautiful. A really sincere song to a girl he's hurt. The lyrics seem so genuine and sad.
(7) "Jaws Theme Swimming" --> It took me a bit longer to get into this one for some reason. Maybe I just didn't give it a chance. I do love it now. It's catchy with good lyrics, and the verses have a really unusual, haunting sound.
(8) "Me Vs. Maradona Vs. Elvis" --> I love this song so much. From what I gather, it's about a guy who picks up a girl but feels bad he's taking advantage of her. It's sad with beautiful lyrics and a consistently lovely tune. This one is definitely in the style of "The No Seatbelt Song" or "Soco Amaretto Lime". A Brand New classic.
(9) "Guernica" --> A fast song, angry as well as sad. It's about one of the member's grandfather having lung cancer, and all the emotions that come with that. It's extra moving when you know that background. It has a great chorus.
(10) "Good To Know That If I Ever Need Attention All I Have To Do Is Die" --> Is there really any need for a 16-word title?! I think not. I love Brand New's long, abstract song names but this one is a bit much in my opinion. Anyway, it's a good song. Slow and sad with a good chorus. A brilliant listen (and a long one, at 7 minutes).
(11) "Play Crack The Sky" --> I agree with other reviewers that it's beautiful and moving, but this just isn't one of my favourites. I find it *too* sad, even by Brand New's standards. You really need to be in the right mood to hear it, or it'll make you cry! It's lovely but hasn't got the definite chorus the other songs have. Stunning vocals and lyrics - it's a metaphor about loving and losing someone.