Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 November 2002
A wonderful story with beautiful illustrations, including some of Degas' work.
My daughter loves this book so much so has nearly worn it out. Since buying it she has shown so much interest in art and even choose her own Degas picture to go in her bedroom.
The story is well written, and has a good subtle morale - everything you want in a childrens book.
I couldn't recommend this more - the best of Anholts painter series (although I also love the Van Gogh and Picasso books too!)
on 15 July 2006
My daughter loves the 'Katie' books about different artists (James Mayhew), and this is similar. Strong story line with a nice twist in the tale ... the little ballet dancer wants to be famous, and she does become famous, but not in the way she expected.

Great illustrations and prints of actual Degas paintings.
on 2 May 2011
If you want to introduce an awareness of art into your child's life, then I would definitely recommend the Anholt's Artists collection.

They are well written and beautifully illustrated.

Don't be put off by the fact they are a paperback.

They are a lovely gift for any child who loves books.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 June 2015
I love this book. It has a good story, related with compassion, it has beautiful artwork, and it is educational both about art and about the life of the artist.

Be aware that the serious subject matter makes it suitable for slightly older children than most picture stories. It is also quite wordy (150-200 words per double page). If you want to start with something easier, I suggest Camille and and the Sunflowers in the same series. It is very similar but simpler.
on 9 January 2015
Wow what an amazing story. Received this book as a present and really didn't know how my daughter was going to take to it. My 5 year old was captivated by the story as she thought that this was a non fiction and at the end to know that there was an artist and the little dancer exists. She now wants to go to Paris as see for herself the little dancer. This is one amazing way to get children's attention on to amazing artist.
on 8 June 2015
I love these books, they are a great way to inspire children and interest them in art and artists. I have read them with my own children and used them in school with children from nursery age to year 4 (3-9 yrs).
on 2 April 2013
My daughter had just started dance classes a couple of months before christmas. This is such a lovely book. every little girl should have it on the bookcase.its very educational and has lovely illustrations.
on 29 January 2016
This is a fabulous book. A delightfully told story of Little Marie, which uses some of Degas's paintings as the illustrations. I shall buy more in this series.
on 10 January 2012
This was bought as a gift, it arrived promptly for christmas and was wrapped. So brief look only given to book but seemed a good quality paperback.
on 26 February 2015
Supplier sent miniature version of the item listed - much too small for my children to enjoy so utterly useless.