From the Back Cover
“Holman is my main source of information on XSL-FO … a life saver on projects where we print XML information.”
—W. Eliot Kimber, ISOGEN International
- Format, paginate, and publish your XML data with full graphic-arts quality!
- Comprehensive: Covers every formatting object in the W3C® XSL-FO Recommendation
- Proven: Based on fully tested materials used in public seminars and corporate training programs throughout the world
- Concise: Bullet-point, bite-size presentation helps you master XSL-FO fast!
- Authoritative: From the founder of the OASIS XML and XSLT conformance committees
“For centuries, humanity has accessed information with proven page-oriented navigational tools and sophisticated formatting. Just printing Web pages won’t do this job for your data—you need the power of XSL-FO. Join the thousands who have learned how from Ken Holman.”
—Charles F. GoldfarbThe definitive guide to state-of-the-art XML publishing with XSL-FO!
XSL-FO (XSL-Formatting Objects) enables enterprise applications to publish graphic-arts quality printed and electronic documents from any XML data store, no matter how large or complex. In Definitive XSL-FO, one of the world’s leading XML experts shows how XSL-FO is revolutionizing document publishing. The book offers concise, authoritative, example-rich guidance on using the entire XSL-FO specification, including:
- XSL-FO’s objectives, semantics, and vocabulary
- Key concepts, including layout-based versus content-based formatting, and formatting versus rendering
- Area and page fundamentals: area models, block and inline basics, containers, page definition, and sequencing
- Generic body constructs and tables
- Static content and page geometry sequencing
- Footnotes, floats, breaks, keeps, spacing, borders, and backgrounds
- Interactive objects for dynamic displays
- Supplemental publishing objects, including bidirectional Unicode scripts
- Using XSLT with XSL-FO
Includes powerful quick reference tables for XSL-FO expressions, objects, and properties
Part of The Charles F. Goldfarb Definitive XML Series™
About the Author
G. KEN HOLMAN is Chief Technology Officer for Crane Softwrights Ltd. and Canadian chair of the ISO SGML standards group. Ken is an invited expert to the W3C®, a member of the W3C Working Group that developed XML, and founder of the OASIS Technical Committees for XML and XSLT conformance. His many books on XML technologies include Definitive XSLT and XPath.About the Series Editor
CHARLES F. GOLDFARB is the father of XML technology. He invented SGML, the Standard Generalized Markup Language on which both XML and HTML are based. You can find him on the Web at www.xmlbooks.com.