on 14 September 2005
I bought the book elsewhere, but I thought this review would help others.
The book is very good but it's long and therefore heavy to hold.
You have to be seated at a table to read it.
The explanations are good but I think there are too many examples. I do like the use of colour though. The quality is good and I suppose justifies the price.
I have 3 other point and figure books and this is the best by far because it covers more. There are some new ideas like moving averages and risk ratios which appear to be very good.
The price projections are eerily accurate.
I like the fact that its a british book so the charts are London charts.
on 5 September 2005
I didn't think 450 pages on point & figure was possible until I read this book. It is quite the best I have read on the subject. I like the detailed approach and flowing style. There are hundreds of examples with diagrams and charts (in colour !!), each described in great detail. It has completely changed the way I look at these charts now. There are techniques like parabolic lines and moving averages on point and figure charts I have never heard of before. It's a must for anyone who wants to use charts in particular point and figure charts for investing. Bravo!
on 19 December 2005
I have completed a second reading of this excellent book. It confirms what I said below. It's an outstanding book and highly recommended. The author writes in a way that makes it so easy to understand this complex technique. Each word and sentence makes it clearer. The sections on trend lines and how to draw them, also price targets are eye openers. It has made a big difference to my trading and investing. It is the best charting book I have ever read.
on 30 December 2005
I am a fundamental investor. I sometimes loose grip of the momentum, this book toghether with the Thomas Dorsey book are the best in my view for technical analysis. After reading this books twice, I understood the offer and demand mechanism with multiple examples and figures, making me feel confident in taking decisions in currencies, comodities, futures and "when to enter" or when to "go out" after my fundamental research. The detail in the technique described is quite sophisticated and helpful, I do not think any other author neither Dorsey explains so well Point to Figure Charting. Tankyou to Mr Du Plessis for teach me Point to Figure Charting.
on 22 February 2010
I bought this book just after Christmas as the nights were still dark and cold. I had great difficulty putting it down. My review can never give you the full picture due to limitations of writing space, and the concepts that are contained in this book. If you have got this far then you are already half way to purchasing this book, I have no commercial interest in how many it sells, but it is written by someone who knows their subject. If you are new to technical analysis it will an eye-opener. Even to those who already know the subject there are ideas that will give you food for thought, like "the squeeze", a very useful pointer to forthcoming events. The book is not cheap,as you have probably done some trading this is a small part of your trading costs and you could make money, I recommend it.
on 15 November 2005
Puts a lot of emphasis on 1 point reversals, as the author fels these are not covered much elsewhere, and are sufficiently different from the mroe normal three points reversals as to justify extensive coverage. It does cover pretty much everything though. I personally prefer the dorsey book, but if you are new to P&F charts or looking for more in depth information its worth reading.
on 5 January 2011
I've read this book as part of a study course which cites it in the reading list, but i must say, I'd have avoided point and figure if I were reading for my own preference. It seemed obscure, and impossible to understand without a lot of time invested.

The book is written out logically and without pointless elaboration. Work through it cover to cover, in order, complete every excercise (ideally in front of a computer, and chart out your own instruments of interest), and you will pick this subject up very very quickly.

You are taught to recognise patterns, build trendlines, then project price targets. Analysis chapters help you weigh each of these topics and encourage you to judge each pattern within the prevailing trend etc. The entry levels, stops and projections are very objective (judgement still required), and gives you the confidence to trade within your own money management rules.

I can say the examples are not cherry picked to suit the author, and work accurately within any liquid market you care to analyse.

Highly recommended reading for chartists/traders who want another independant string to their bow. Already paid for itself, but you need to sit down and absorb its entire contents. Very much a 'workbook' that you should scribble all over and make your own.
on 12 April 2013
It's a very good book. Read it, very clear , methodical, with real examples. Takes things apart rather than just point out the obvious. Balanced view point and shows how to combine with other techniques such as bollinger bands and moving averages.
on 27 November 2012
If you really what to understand Point & Figure charting this is the book to use. The introduction is superb and from there the book takes on much more advanced topics with a solid base.
on 27 April 2015
Excellent book, covers history and current application of point and figure. Reading as part of the MTA study list and really enjoying the book