on 5 May 2010
I got 'The Death of the New Gods' after discovering the greatness of the character Darkseid in 'Final Crisis'.

I found this book to be quite challenging initially because of my lack of knowledge of the New Gods universe. But the brilliantly written characters, Darkseid and Metron in particular, kept me going.

Superman's role in the story is a stroke of genius as he is the slightly confused outsider in a strange and garish world. This leads the uninitiated reader to empathise with him, particularly at the end where he is knocked about by forces much bigger than him.

The final battle here is one of cosmic proportions and truly puts across the sheer power of the main characters.

What you get here is a murder mystery that escalates into something much bigger, bringing a rich world to a tragic demise.

Also, in response to the complaints of another reviewer, there is a very convoluted storyline between this and Final Crisis.
on 17 June 2015
A fantastic mini series by Jim Starlin, Beautiful art and a gripping and intriguing plot. I couldnt put the book down as i had to find out who the new god killer was. Feeding into the Countdown to Final Crisis series this acts as an informative piece as to what exactly is going on in the DC universe. Tying up loose ends that have been hung out in titles such as Birds of Prey this book did a good job of answering some of my questions about what going on during the Countdown Tie ins (and opening up some new questions).
As a stand alone story the plot still works and you don't need and prior knowledge to enjoy this book for what it is. A cosmic murder mystery starring the worlds greatest hero Superman and the universes biggest villain Darkseid, there's enough in this book to keep anyone satisfied. (unless your a fan of New Gods.. becuase you might get upset).
The only reason this doesn't get five stars from me is becuase although it contains alot of positives, i personally prefer the more grounded and darker stories with more complicated and deducable plots. This plot can kind of spell out the answers quite predictably for regular comic readers and revelations are spoon fed rather than shocking surprises.

Art is clear and precise, with great character detail and eye catching cosmic colourations. From the beauty of New Genesis to the dark and bloody Apokolips, atmosphere and character presence is handled beautifully by Starlin as plot and picture compliments each other well.

A great read and I would definitely recommend to new and old readers alike. Superman fans will feel right at home.
Contains Death of the New Gods #1 - #8
on 9 April 2011
Can gods die? Let's face it, in the superhero comic-book world even the so called mortals hardly ever stay in their graves for long. So expecting this to be the final end for Jack Kirby's extraordinary creations and mythos was perhaps being a little naive. The writing is fine, and the art is fine. There are a few little nods to Kirby's little tricks eg photographic cosmic backdrops with characters superimposed but they do seem a little half-hearted. On the whole though It does all hang together well and Starlin uses Superman with care to underpin everything very adroitly. Supes also serves as a measure for the degree of power involved. He's often the weakest entity on the page by a long chalk which is usually the reverse. I think most people were expecting something more though. Nice to see the graphic novel containing the whole series of 8 issues. When they split series up into 4 issue volumes it really drives me nuts - extra star for that.
on 7 January 2011
Let me state first off that I am a fanatic fan of Jim Starlin - so the idea of him playing with Jack Kirby's New Gods AND providing the art was a no-brainer - I had to have this book and I had to love it!! - BUT !! ..... This is AWFUL! - Sorry, but the art is actually dire - the proportions of the heads to the bodies distracted me so much I thought it was a deliberate plot-point! I found the storyline pedestrian and just could not engage with it at all. I say again, I am a fanatic fan of Jim Starlin, but this review is simple -- Do NOT buy this book!!