on 30 July 2004
Death On the Nile was the first Agatha Christie book I read and I immediately became a fan. Christie shows a love for Egyptian culture and history and you'll never be able to work out the solution- it's surprising yet at the same time a convincing piece of work.
If you haven't read Christie before, this is a good book to start you off as it boasts Poirot's (and Christie's) unique genius.
on 6 May 2011
So I booked a winter holiday next year in Egypt which will include a cruise on the Nile. How then could I not read the book in advance? Well the Kindle edition was fascinating but the audiobook - wow! I have, for some while, been listening to Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld series read by Tony Robinson and they have set a very high standard but, considering the age of this story, I think that David Suchet gives a most entertaining read - even the english Colonel speaks with a beautiful 'Jonathan Woss' lisp!
I am disabled and so like to take a flask of coffee and park my car up on the moor, sit back and listen. A great afternoon break.
I shall be purchasing more Agatha Christie audiobooks.
on 18 May 2015
My favourite Agatha Christie novel. I especially like Poirot's own analogy of solving a murder with how an archeologist carefully treats a find: "I have been seeking to [...] clear away the extraneous matter so that we can see the truth – the naked shining truth." Like Colonel Race I sometimes become a little impatient with the extraneous matter, eager to get to the reveal, but Poirot, and Christie, know best!
on 20 March 2007
Death on the Nile is one of the best Agatha Christie's ever - and has been presented in a variety of formats, and this is one of the most enjoyable. David Suchet (Poirot himself from the rather fabulous television series) reads the tale of murder and mayhem in Egypt with a flair and humour which is engaging and thoroughly entertaining. Even though you may be very familiar with the story, Suchet's reading gives added dimensions to Christie's characters, and allows characters to speak for themselves, as it were.

The only reason I did not give 5 stars was that his vocalisation of Colonel Race tended to grate on my ear after a while, but it is a small complaint for such an enjoyable audio book.
on 15 April 2015
Because I had seen film versions and TV versions and read the book many years ago, I hesitated to buy this but it was very cheap for the Kindle so thought it would be a useful standby.
It was so much more than a standby, it is outstanding - I am so glad I bought it because the book is so much better than film or even TV versions; also, because it was so long since I'd read it, it came across as fresh. It shows why Agatha Christie is so far above all the would-be imitators - interesting characters, complex interactions and relationships, red herrings that for a time throw even Poirot on the wrong track but then all explained.
Buy this and remind yourself how good she is.
on 22 June 2015
A wonderful mystery set on a cruise boat of eccentric travellers from around the world as it journeys down the Nile in the humid haze of an Egyptian summer.

I read this one a long time ago, so, on re-reading it recently, what I thought was my stellar intuition figuring out who the murderer was... was actually my memory…

But it is undoubtedly a masterpiece! There are not one but three murders, the latter of which is spectacularly dramatic, with a gun protruding through a curtain behind Poirot’s back!!! I challenge you to try work this one out!

Ultimately, the criminal or criminals in question... take absolutely everything into account, bar one very, VERY important factor … Hercule Poirot.
on 25 January 2015
Having booked a cruise on the Nile I had to reread Agatha Christie's novel before departing. Christie has been a favourite from my early teenage years and she doesn't disappoint as I age. Of course the novels are dated, but in the most pleasing way as in this case the Nile, while a backdrop to tempestuous love (of people, money and power) is as beguiling in fiction as reality. Christie referred to this novel as one of her best "foreign travel" ones. It is well plotted and does not suffer from any suspicion that perhaps anyone could have done it. Secondary characters and story lines are fine contributions to Christie's deft handling of human failings as well as raising possibilities about the murder.
on 10 April 2015
This is clearly a classic "whodunnit" and I was glued to it. Only two problems, firstly I read all Poirot's words with a Belgian accent - have to blame the film for that! Secondly there are quite a few annoying text errors which have come from OCR scanning without being proof read. So un-necessary and sloppy.
on 11 June 2013
This is one of my favourite Hercule Poirot novels. I've read it loads of times and every time I'm disappointed when there are no more pages to read. Having been to Egypt and done a cruise down the Nile for my honeymoon I can picture what Christie is writing and describing and also this is why this novel is extra special to me.

Here we see Lynette marry her best friends boyfriend. Lynette and her husband, Simon are followed around by the scorned woman, Jackie. They end up on the Karnak cruise ship going down the Nile. Poirot is also on the Karnak and witnesses the goings on between Lynette, Simon and Jackie and finds his sleuthing skills called upon when Lynette is found dead in her bed.

Lots of other things are going on at the same time such as a fraudulent trustee, kleptomania and blackmail, and this novel will hold your attention throughout. Can't recommend enough.
on 21 July 2004
Excellent story i have read every book of ruth hamiltons and this one does not let you down brilliant