Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 July 2009
my third holiday read and my second chris ayres book - and I enjoyed it even more than his first. somehow he even manages to make things like selling one tv and buying another one funny. he makes his disastrous date to michael jackson's ranch (how topical that seems now ...) funny, he makes just doing his job seem funny. It's a real insight into how it must be to move to LA and try to carve out a career there. If things aren't quite working out the way you would want them to in your own life or career then read this book - you'll either feel that at least things aren't as bad as they are in LA, or that at least you're not alone - chris would probably inadvertently mess things up just as much if he were in your shoes. I think the overall message is to live life like he does - by laughing at it and turning everything into a good story.
on 7 June 2009
Judging by the cover, this is not the sort of book I would usually read. However, once I'd picked it up, I grew interested when the author mentioned his childhood in Northumberland (me, too!) then (having spent all of 3 days there!) thought that the LA theme is bound to be good.

I read this book in 4 days despite frequently forcing myself to put it down because I didn't want the story to end. Never has one man suffered so much to make his life's journey a deserving read. It's funny, it's real, it's understated, it's scary... and it taught me a lot of stuff about the weather and the world economy. The topics in this book are relevant NOW - so read it as soon as possible!

Off to buy Mr. Ayres' previous book while hoping that it won't be too long before he writes another :o)
on 30 October 2009
I found this book entertaining. Disbelief was willingly suspended. Didn't worry about the character or morality of the author. Didn't care that the same narrative ploy was used again and again. The roller coaster rolled on without hitting any bumps or lurching over the edge.

The numerous references to modern technology/culture were very tastefully done. Refreshing without feeling as if it was gratuitous or a gimmick. The bottom line is that it was disappointing to see the last page. Will read his other book now.