on 13 April 2015
I read a library copy of the paperback.
Paul Dini, who writes this entire collection, has written an awful lot of the `animated' adventures for Batman and I have therefore avoided an awful lot of his work.
I believe such work to be juvenile, basic, slapstick, obvious and while that is not always a bad thing it's not how I like my Batman.
This is nothing like that.
This is grown up writing with grown up characterisation and beautiful artwork behind the artistic perfection of those covers.
If you believed Dini was capable only one of one level of writing - think again.
This is an engaging collection.
The new version of the Scarface dynamic is interesting as is the Riddler-as-detective spin.
The two-part Siege story where Tim drake's Robin shines, is captivating but the two-part Zatanna team-up, highlighting the consequences of `identity Crisis' as it does, is fascinating and necessary.
Art throughout this book is very good, although the version of Bruce Wayne on show is a bit square jawed and somehow wrong.
I did not think I would but I really enjoyed this collection and I would recommend it.
on 28 October 2014
Classic Paul Dini magic. fantastic stories, fantastic characters, fast paced fun that keeps you guessing. plenty of fan favorite characters new and old with new twists and character history being bought to light. definitely recommend this book along with its predecessor Batman: Detective and and its successor Batman: Private Casebook. down side is this book is becoming increasingly and to get hold of and prices are creeping up :(
on 17 July 2013
When I tried to by this product there was some tecnological difficulties that made impossible for me to make the payment. I contacted this guys and they were very helpful. In fact, they found a way to solve the problem. I'm very grateful for their kindness. Also the book arrived in time and protected in a good envelope, so maximum rate for them: 5 (earned) stars!
on 24 September 2008
'Death and the City' is a collection of six short stories, mostly by Paul Dini, featuring vilains including Joker, Harley Quinn, and Scarface amongst others.

The stories are of varying quality with my favourite being ' Trust'- a two-parter featuring the Joker, although 'Kind of Like Family' with the always delectable Harley Quinn (working alone for once) is also good. 'Shark Bite' and 'Triage' are the weakest stories here in my opinion.

Overall this is a classy, well-presented package, and the artwork is mostly of very good quality. I'm never keen on short stories because they usually lack depth, and some of the stories here are quite weak. 'Trust' (the Joker story) makes it worthwhile for serious Batman fans, but there are many better graphic novels out there if you're just a casual reader or are just starting your collection.